Home

NCAA, Power 5 agree to deal that will let schools pay players

This is a discussion on NCAA, Power 5 agree to deal that will let schools pay players within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 05-23-2024, 10:12 PM   #1
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49
NCAA, Power 5 agree to deal that will let schools pay players

Quote:
The NCAA and its five power conferences have agreed to allow schools to directly pay players for the first time in the 100-plus-year history of college sports.

The NCAA and its leagues are moving forward with a multibillion-dollar agreement to settle three pending federal antitrust cases. The NCAA will pay more than $2.7 billion in damages over 10 years to past and current athletes, sources told ESPN. Sources said the parties also have agreed to a revenue-sharing plan allowing each school to share up to roughly $20 million per year with its athletes.

"The five autonomy conferences and the NCAA agreeing to settlement terms is an important step in the continuing reform of college sports that will provide benefits to student-athletes and provide clarity in college athletics across all divisions for years to come," NCAA president Charlie Baker and the five power conference commissioners said in a joint statement Thursday evening.

"This settlement is also a road map for college sports leaders and Congress to ensure this uniquely American institution can continue to provide unmatched opportunity for millions of students. All of Division I made today's progress possible, and we all have work to do to implement the terms of the agreement as the legal process continues. We look forward to working with our various student-athlete leadership groups to write the next chapter of college sports."

All Division I athletes dating back to 2016 are eligible to receive a share as part of the settlement class. In exchange, athletes cannot sue the NCAA for other potential antitrust violations and drop their complaints in three open cases -- House v. NCAA, Hubbard v. NCAA and Carter v. NCAA.

The settlement terms must be approved by Judge Claudia Wilken, who is presiding over all three cases. That process is expected to take several months, and sources said schools likely will begin sharing revenue in fall 2025. The NCAA's Board of Governors and leaders from the ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, SEC and Pac-12 voted to accept the general terms laid out in a 13-page document.

Notre Dame also agreed to the settlement as a member of the ACC.

"The settlement, though undesirable in many respects and promising only temporary stability, is necessary to avoid what would be the bankruptcy of college athletics," Notre Dame president John I. Jenkins said in a statement. "To save the great American institution of college sports, Congress must pass legislation that will preempt the current patchwork of state laws; establish that our athletes are not employees, but students seeking college degrees; and provide protection from further antitrust lawsuits that will allow colleges to make and enforce rules that will protect our student-athletes and help ensure competitive equity among our teams."
https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...ls-pay-players
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-23-2024, 10:15 PM   #2
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: NCAA, Power 5 agree to deal that will let schools pay players

So I hope that means that all sports video games can come back. Basketball and baseball as well. And this most likely will hopefully keep players from leaving early, especially in the basketball side of things. Leaving early in college basketball pretty much killed all the rivalries.
Old 05-23-2024, 10:45 PM   #3
MVP

GoDucks1224's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
So I hope that means that all sports video games can come back. Basketball and baseball as well. And this most likely will hopefully keep players from leaving early, especially in the basketball side of things. Leaving early in college basketball pretty much killed all the rivalries.
I doubt guys will stay at schools for a few hundred grand in basketball. If they can go to the NBA and get a league minimum contract, they'll make more than that. I really just think this will kill G5, and sports that don't make revenue.

Also, if schools can only pay up to $20 million for their ENTIRE athletics department, then it'll be even less than that.
Old 05-24-2024, 01:28 AM   #4
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Don't think it really changes for other college sports games. Those were done with before the legal issues because the lack of sales.

― Plato
Old 05-24-2024, 01:31 AM   #5
MVP

GoDucks1224's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
Don't think it really changes for other college sports games. Those were done with before the legal issues because the lack of sales.

Unfortunately, this. Would love a college baseball game again. And basketball. I don’t even watch college basketball, but man did I love the dynasty equivalent modes in those.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-24-2024, 06:59 AM   #6
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

D2 and D3 sports will keep going.

But big time top tier college programs? This is a joke IMO. Now it’s gone too far.

It’s officially a professional minor league sports league now lol. I mean wow……this is going to do a lot more harm than good.

Greed on both sides is tearing down the heart and soul and the “for the love of the game” aspect of what being a collegiate athlete used to mean for 99% of collegiate student athletes.

Think about how many college football, basketball and baseball players there are and the minuscule percentage of who actually have a professional career?

With this framework they have created a vicious inequity for most schools amd actual recruitment.

The student part of “student athlete” was on life support.

This just pulled the plug on it.
NHL25 - Panthers YR1
Star Wars Outlaws

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Old 05-24-2024, 08:11 AM   #7
MVP

LegendKillerOne's Arena

So much for going to college for an education. I know silly me to even think that was a thing. I am old what can I say
NHL: New York Rangers
NCAAFOOTBALL: Miami Hurricanes
NCAABASKETBALL: Duke Blue Devils
Old 05-24-2024, 08:25 AM   #8
Rookie

rupe's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor and Sword
D2 and D3 sports will keep going.

But big time top tier college programs? This is a joke IMO. Now it’s gone too far.

It’s officially a professional minor league sports league now lol. I mean wow……this is going to do a lot more harm than good.

Greed on both sides is tearing down the heart and soul and the “for the love of the game” aspect of what being a collegiate athlete used to mean for 99% of collegiate student athletes.

Think about how many college football, basketball and baseball players there are and the minuscule percentage of who actually have a professional career?

With this framework they have created a vicious inequity for most schools amd actual recruitment.

The student part of “student athlete” was on life support.

This just pulled the plug on it.
I agree. The ramifications of this is going to be disastrous for all sports. Smaller sports are going to go by the wayside because schools won't be able to afford to keep them afloat. Prices of concessions and tickets are going to skyrocket. Tuition will increase tremendously. Travel costs of these "Conferece USA" like leagues are crazy. Money and greed has driven all of this. The student athlete is dead. It won't be long before the patients run the insane asylum. When players are making the amounts of money they are, the coaches are going to lose their voice and their control.

As a team that has benefited from some of the musical chairs, I can honestly say I hate it.

Independent (1885–1909) OAC (1910–1925) BAC (1926–1935) Independent (1936–1946) MAC (1947–1952) Independent (1953–1956) Missouri Valley (1957–1969) Independent (1970–1995) C-USA (1996–2004) Big East (2005–2012) The American (2013–2022)

When UC joined Conference USA in the 90s the league was considered a joke and destined to fail because of the geographical layout and the distance teams had to travel. Now every conference is starting to look like a bigger CUSA. I never minded CUSA and we had some great basketball during that time period. The football was not bad either. Good rivalries with Louisville, Memphis, and Southern Miss at the time.

The Big East was a great basketball league and pretty darn good football league. If I had my choice, I wish this league would have stayed intact. Geographically it made better sense. Good close rivalries with Louisville, Pitt, West Virginia.

The American: It was just Conference USA 2.0. I was OK with it when Louisville was in it for a year because it maintained that traditional rivalry and renewed the Memphis rivalry. It had good football and basketball.

The Big 12: I'm happy to have a chair at the table, but I fear that it won't be long before we are left out in the cold of two Super Conferences. Nice to be back with West Virginia, but the travel on other away games does not make sense. Not as bad as Pacific coast teams in the Atlantic Coast Conference.

No one can convince me that all this isn't planned. In the end it's going the be the SEC and the Big 20-30 and many teams, (probably UC because Ohio State won't let them) will be left out in the cold.

Look at the current map of the Power 5 it does not make any sense.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Five_conferences. Is it truly Power 5 with the Pac 12 set to implode?

Last edited by rupe; 05-24-2024 at 10:03 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »