Home

EA Sports College Football 25 Not Coming to PC Is a Bummer but Not Surprising

This is a discussion on EA Sports College Football 25 Not Coming to PC Is a Bummer but Not Surprising within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 05-15-2024, 03:41 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
EA Sports College Football 25 Not Coming to PC Is a Bummer but Not Surprising

There is one day until the "full reveal" for EA Sports College Football 25 arrives, and...

Written By: Chase Becotte

Click here to view the article.
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2024, 04:05 PM   #2
MVP

Danimal's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: EA Sports College Football 25 Not Coming to PC Is a Bummer but Not Surprising

No PC version means no purchase for me. EA Play Pro has less and less PC game worth subscribing for so I'll be canceling that as well
Old 05-15-2024, 04:29 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: EA Sports College Football 25 Not Coming to PC Is a Bummer but Not Surprising

I also cancelled my Play Pro sub. Just going to rock the basic sub that I get with GamePass.

No PC release was the expectation. Back when EA first announced CFB was returning they only ever said the PS5 and Xbox Series S/X, so we've known for years what platforms they were targeting. I get why people held out hope due to Madden being on the PC, but it was never happening.

I don't think the legal side of it is the main reason, though. Maybe it is and I am wrong. I think it has more to do with how little sales the PC version would get. The PC market is the smallest market for the main sports titles in Madden, Fifa, and NBA 2k. I don't know if we could find the numbers, but I'd be shocked if the PC crowd even made up more than 10% of the sales for these games.

Given how we know the CFB game will never sell as well as any of the 3 sports games already mentioned, and EA thinks the game even having a third of the revenue of Madden would be a resounding success, I think it's more than fair to say that the amount of people that would buy CFB on the PC is a tiny number not even worth the effort to try and get the game released on the platform. We're probably only talking tens of thousands of players, maybe a couple hundred thousand at most, that would have the PC's to buy the game, so I can see why EA wouldn't even think twice about leaving the platform out altogether. It sucks, and maybe one day they do bring it over, but it was expected and is understandable.

― Plato
Old 05-15-2024, 05:47 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Matt Brown said this:

Quote:
level 1
extrapointsmb
·
9 hr. ago

So a few notes here:

* I am not explicitly confirming here that there won't be a PC release. But FWIW, I've asked EA employees at multiple levels if one is coming over the last few months, and everybody declined to answer or demurred. I continue to think it's very unlikely its going to PC on this release.

* The reason, I'm told from people in the company (including those on other game projects) is that it generally isn't profitable. Supporting, patching and upgrading PC sports titles is apparently more expensive and more manpower intensive than it is for PS5 or Xbox (since PC hardware isn't standardized like consoles are), and the player base is substantially smaller. Time spend to optimize code for PC and would be time spent away from the core product elsewhere.

I bet a PC release happens in the series eventually. But I am doubtful it happens this year...and it isn't really about NIL or player licenses.

― Plato
Old 05-15-2024, 08:33 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 8

It's unfortunate it's not happening this year, but I'm not overly concerned for the future.

These companies are absolutely obsessed with revenue and assuming there will be Ultimate Team-type stuff in NCAA, it's only a matter of time before it and all other games are on PC too. The PC versions are obviously less profitable, but if they have data showing them that Ultimate Team offsets the development expenses, then they're going to do it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2024, 08:35 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 0

I was looking forward to a PC release actually. I wanted the modders to get ahold of it of course. No harm no foul however, doesn't change my plans to purchase and hopefully they'll get it together for the next iteration.
Old 05-15-2024, 11:30 PM   #7
MVP

Danimal's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
I also cancelled my Play Pro sub. Just going to rock the basic sub that I get with GamePass.
Yes it's really not worth it just for Madden. No NHL, I could care less about soccer and now this.

It's disappointing because there is definitely a market their.
Old 05-16-2024, 02:15 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

p_rushing's Arena

OVR: 20

Will have to decide what I want to do now. Don't know if I want to buy a console.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »