Home

Love this Video game series, but wow

This is a discussion on Love this Video game series, but wow within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 03-29-2024, 07:56 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Love this Video game series, but wow

Just Downloaded the top Marcelo Mayer cap from the vault. 74 overall. I just went onto MLB the show 23 so I can check what he was rated last year when he was actually in the game. Favorite team is the twins and I am very familiar with them. I am kinda screwed with their bullpen injuries and stupidly low overalls replacement for my franchise. While I was looking at MLB the show 23 I noticed that a lot of these players are literally just copy pasted and carried over from last year. MLB 23 has 59 overall Varland in the pen, 51 overall Funderburk, and 53 overall Cole Sands. Making them pretty much non usable in actual game play. These are the exact same as they are currently in MLB 24…. So Varland pitching 70 innings with a 4 something era, funderburk killing it in the minors and having a .75 era in 12 major league innings and Cole Sands having a 3 something era in 30 innings means nothing to Sony San Diego. Borderline 26 man roster players real life performance doesn’t actually have any effect on their overalls
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-29-2024, 11:20 PM   #2
Expletive Deleted

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Love this Video game series, but wow

Yeah, to me the relief pitchers overalls have always been screwey in my opinion. Sometimes when guys like Varland have their relief pitcher position changed to starting pitcher, their overall jumps high enough to be somewhat more palatable. Varland for instance jumps to 67 as a starter. I used to be deadset against using relief pitchers with an overall down in the 50's. But then I actually tried using them out of the bullpen, I realized regarding RP's, I had to check my preconceived bias against low rp's overall at the gate. Now when I have RP's with over all in the 50's, I use them as inning eaters, where I'm either up big or down big. I use them when the game is no longer in doubt either winning or losing. But I'm not trusting enough yet to use them when the game is on the line.

I just wish they would revaluate how lower rated players with big league experience were calculated. I would like to see the lowest overall for such players to bottom out at 60. And leave the 40's and 50's overall to minor leaguers with no MLB experience. I'm fine with a very very few minor leaguers to be rated as high as mid 70's, but those should be few and far between.
And yeah, I love the series as a whole, but there are also holes in it that are true head scratchers no doubt.
#44Syracuse
Old 03-31-2024, 09:10 AM   #3
ML
MVP

ML's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Love this Video game series, but wow

Unfortunately no matter what the player's individualized ratings are the CPU will make roster moves based on OVR - these guys in the 50's will sit in AA until they retired due to age, skill, etc.

It's the same thing in Madden with the OVR being tied so heavily into a players Awareness rating - at least they are attempting to use the player tags such as "mentor, future starter, veteran trade piece" etc. that are supposed to play a role in the CPU's roster decision making.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »