Home

Do you find players regress too fast or is it just me?

This is a discussion on Do you find players regress too fast or is it just me? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-23-2024, 09:53 PM   #1
The Legend Continues

Happy29's Arena

OVR: 31
Do you find players regress too fast or is it just me?

I know natural regression is part of the game but it feels like it happens too fast in the game. I played the first game of the season in my franchise (no spring training) and advanced to the next day. I looked through the teams rosters and noticed lots of players have already decreased in their attributes. So I bumped them back up and went to the next day only to find many of those players had again regressed along with many more while I never see any players attributes ever increase in short time spans like that. Maybe I'm being nitpicky but the entire ratings and potential system seems very flawed to me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-23-2024, 09:55 PM   #2
Rookie

JWDixon120's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Do you find players regress too fast or is it just me?

Regression has been broken for awhile in The Show sadly.

Players hit 10 years of service time and fall off a cliff. Guys like Mike Trout, Chris Sale, etc. are unusable after the All Star Break once they hit like age 32.

-Franchise Fidelity to Reality Roster out Now! (MLB 23)
-Creator of JWDixon’s Franchise Spreadsheet
-More coming soon!
Old 03-23-2024, 10:11 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWDixon120
Regression has been broken for awhile in The Show sadly.

Players hit 10 years of service time and fall off a cliff. Guys like Mike Trout, Chris Sale, etc. are unusable after the All Star Break once they hit like age 32.

-More coming soon!
Unusable seems like a stretch.

I’ve simmed into 2037 with my test franchise so far. Both Trout and Bryce Harper were good, solid major league contributors until they retired I believe around age 38.
Old 03-23-2024, 10:19 PM   #4
Rookie

JWDixon120's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripwalk
Unusable seems like a stretch.

I’ve simmed into 2037 with my test franchise so far. Both Trout and Bryce Harper were good, solid major league contributors until they retired I believe around age 38.

Can you send a screenshot of any of this guys? Just curious to see their ratings.

Anyone 32+ for me tanks to a 60 OVR after 2 years lol. Find myself re rating guys left and right.

-More coming soon!
Old 03-23-2024, 10:34 PM   #5
The Legend Continues

Happy29's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Can you send a screenshot of any of this guys? Just curious to see their ratings.

Anyone 32+ for me tanks to a 60 OVR after 2 years lol. Find myself re rating guys left and right.

-More coming soon!
Yeah I have to do that myself constantly
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-24-2024, 08:26 AM   #6
Pro

Early in the season, lots of players will show minor regression for some reason. However in my experience eventually those same players depending on age and potential will progress as the season goes on.

Sent from my SM-F711U using Tapatalk
Old 03-24-2024, 08:42 AM   #7
Pro

Quote:

-More coming soon!
There are very few OG MLB players left in the world now that I’m in 2038, so won’t be able to provide screenshots of them.

But I do recall I believe at least 5 years into the sim, Trout and Harper were on the same team (it was pretty stacked lineup around them too) and were 5th and 7th hitters in the lineup. So definitely still useful at age 37/38 and I know their overalls were still at least in the 70s (sorry I don’t have more specifics I was simming through pretty quickly and focused more on bullpen IP numbers versus MLB player ratings)

I know in 2038, Pete Crow-Armstrong was still in a prominent spot in a lineup and he’d be 35 by that point with more than 10 years of service. Similarly, I do recall Paul Skenes at similar age still being good at this point in the sim.

I’ll look for more details and actual ratings next time I’m in game. But … it’s my (anecdotal for now) experience that players who were elite in their prime can usually hold on to be solid/decent past their mid 30s. Yes their ratings drop off a lot, but that’s pretty accurate to real life too as you get over 35, for most everyone except Nolan Ryan types.

I’m certainly not saying regression and progression couldn’t be improved, but I also don’t think players instantly become unserviceable after a certain age or time.
Old 03-24-2024, 12:12 PM   #8
Rookie

WillieB1214's Arena

I go through players over 35 at the end of every month and “hold” their ratings for them if they are having a good year. If they aren’t playing well then I let it ride

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »