Home

Overrated and underrated players list

This is a discussion on Overrated and underrated players list within the MLB The Show Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-20-2024, 12:08 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Overrated and underrated players list

Was going through the rosters today and I stumbled upon pitcher Kolby Allard for the Phillies. I was aware of him in his Texas days, but lost track of him recently. Dude is randomly a 79 overall on the game this year. Career 6.10 era. Best season was 4.96 5 years ago. Feel like I definitely need to change that. Shouldn’t even be a 70 overall. Figured I would make this thread for roster junkies to also list overrated or underrated players on the game
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-20-2024, 12:23 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: Overrated and underrated players list

For the Twins I got 3 off the top of my head quick.
They have Louie Varland as a 59 overall RP. Should be a like 68-72 overall SP.

Funderburk as a 51 overall RP, making him one of the worst pitchers in the whole organization and unusable in games. He had a 2.36 era in the minors last year and an amazing 0.75 era in 12 major league innings. Starting the season in the majors this year. Dude has to be at least a low to mid 60’s overall.

Jordan Balazovic is a 70 overall starter. Dude is a failed top 100 prospect. Not even on the 40 man anymore and has been moved to the bullpen. Would think he should be like a 62 rp
Old 03-20-2024, 12:51 PM   #3
MVP

JaFFiTh's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffJuff
For the Twins I got 3 off the top of my head quick.
They have Louie Varland as a 59 overall RP. Should be a like 68-72 overall SP.

Funderburk as a 51 overall RP, making him one of the worst pitchers in the whole organization and unusable in games. He had a 2.36 era in the minors last year and an amazing 0.75 era in 12 major league innings. Starting the season in the majors this year. Dude has to be at least a low to mid 60’s overall.

Jordan Balazovic is a 70 overall starter. Dude is a failed top 100 prospect. Not even on the 40 man anymore and has been moved to the bullpen. Would think he should be like a 62 rp

Based on my own edits for the Twins, I’m at work so I don’t remember exactly but I actually have Varland as a SP at like 75 and Balazovic as a RP at like 60 or 62. His minor league numbers were crap too. I do weighted average of 3 years and as well as adjusted stats from A to AAA along with MLB. Haven’t done Funderbunk as he wasn’t in the MLB roster during my edits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-20-2024, 01:03 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaFFiTh
Based on my own edits for the Twins, I’m at work so I don’t remember exactly but I actually have Varland as a SP at like 75 and Balazovic as a RP at like 60 or 62. His minor league numbers were crap too. I do weighted average of 3 years and as well as adjusted stats from A to AAA along with MLB. Haven’t done Funderbunk as he wasn’t in the MLB roster during my edits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I definitely like to lean more conservative when doing ratings, but I would be totally fine with Varland at 75. Seems like we are on the same page. Makes it even more laughable that he is a 59 RP because coming out of the pen last year he was hitting 100 mph and had an era under 2.00. Small sample size, but still.
Old 03-23-2024, 02:13 AM   #5
№¹ Bad Boy.

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

OVR: 0

Dustin May - Dodgers - Pitcher
Not so much his Overall in general, but more specifically his Durability. 87? Overrated.
I'd say he can't be more than 67.Tommy John Surgery twice since 2021.
The most innings he's pitched in the last four years was in the two month long ''season'' of 2020.
And that was only 56 innings pitched in 2020. That's also his career season high outside of the minor leagues.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-26-2024, 05:13 PM   #6
Rookie

Definitely agree about Allard being overrated. On the Braves, Pierce Johnson and Charlie Morton feel too low at 71 and 76, respectively
Old 03-26-2024, 06:00 PM   #7
Rookie

ThrowBack's Arena

Chris Paddack shouldn't be rated 83 with A potential. He looked promising back in 2019 but since then he has been terrible and he can't stay healthy.
Old 03-26-2024, 06:22 PM   #8
MVP

Madden08PCgmr's Arena

Bullpen arms across the board.. *criminally* underrated.

Cited this when the ratings came out; there a number of unproven pitchers rated higher than George Kirby, after 2 seasons of Kirby proving he is a future ace.

Matt Brash is grossly underrated. When that slider is on, he is unhittable. The nastiest pitch I have seen this side of Mr Snappy. Backed it up with numbers last year, a remarkable strikeout rate for a reliever.

.. ran across Teoscar Hernandez on DD last night. I don't know what his roster rating is, but his DD card was laughably overrated.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters »