Home

Lessons Learned

This is a discussion on Lessons Learned within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-10-2024, 04:04 PM   #1
Hoping for change...

PsychoBulk's Arena

OVR: 23
Lessons Learned

Not posted for a long time in here really, but some of you may remember me from the sliders section...

Yesterday i pre-ordered the MVP version of '24, and its now safely installed on my PS5 whilst i, on occasion, watch a drab countdown until its release, but ive been having some musings, and thought, if im feeling this way, so may others be, so lets see?

To start from the start...ive been a long time Show player since pretty much the beginning.

For many years, way too many to remember, i wanted it all be perfect. By this i mean the perfect roster, the perfect post launch patch, the perfect sliders, the perfect equipment edits, the perfect lineups/rotations to match reality etc. Im sure many of you were, or are still, the same, and know where im coming from. This, on reflection, was utterly, totally...futile.

It will stop you enjoying all the positive things a game like the show can do, and focus, unhealthily, on what it cant.

Perfection in video games does not exist and you should never chase it.

I'm now 43 and last year i kind of had a Show epiphany, if you will.

I simply started a franchise, on release day, with stock rosters, stock HOF difficulty and sliders.

Never in all my years with this game did i have so much fun!

Never did i get so deep into a franchise, connect with the storylines in my own universe (this is a critical point), never did i realise this could even happen! I got 100 plus games into my franny (i play every pitch of every game) for the first time ever, and only had to shelve it for life reasons, which are all now resolved, for had they not i would have had time for multiple seasons and really, really enjoyed it.

This year, after my lessons learned of '23, i cant wait, cannot wait i tell you, to do the same.

There will be many of you out there that plan to wait for this roster, those sliders, that patch, and i get it, i really do, i WAS that person for years, so i wont blame you, or call you, or dismiss you, been there too long - but as of last year...no longer.

So for those of you who do struggle to get deep into a 'chise, who feel the need to do "just one more restart", take a lesson from an Englishman who, until he hit 43 - didnt see the wood from the trees...and just play.

Of course, not all will be able to do this, and i empathise to a large degree, but honestly, doing this last year, and this year from next Friday on launch day...it is SO empowering, so freeing to take control of your video game time, your enjoyment with this game, without letting so many largely unimportant variables ruin it for you.

Remember - dont chase that perfect setup - it aint out there folks.

My choice of avatar these days reflects my new found freedom in terms of video games and the show especially...i only wish id realised it years before!

So, to March 15, when ill take the plunge, my new franchise will begin, and, having learned the lessons of the failures before, the success of just playing will begin - and by god will it be enjoyed!

I hope this post chimes with some of you whove been in the same boat for years.

Happy gaming, and happy The Show 24 folks, learn from my lessons...and play ball!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-10-2024, 04:18 PM   #2
MVP

LegendKillerOne's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Lessons Learned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoBulk
Not posted for a long time in here really, but some of you may remember me from the sliders section...

Yesterday i pre-ordered the MVP version of '24, and its now safely installed on my PS5 whilst i, on occasion, watch a drab countdown until its release, but ive been having some musings, and thought, if im feeling this way, so may others be, so lets see?

To start from the start...ive been a long time Show player since pretty much the beginning.

For many years, way too many to remember, i wanted it all be perfect. By this i mean the perfect roster, the perfect post launch patch, the perfect sliders, the perfect equipment edits, the perfect lineups/rotations to match reality etc. Im sure many of you were, or are still, the same, and know where im coming from. This, on reflection, was utterly, totally...futile.

It will stop you enjoying all the positive things a game like the show can do, and focus, unhealthily, on what it cant.

Perfection in video games does not exist and you should never chase it.

I'm now 43 and last year i kind of had a Show epiphany, if you will.

I simply started a franchise, on release day, with stock rosters, stock HOF difficulty and sliders.

Never in all my years with this game did i have so much fun!

Never did i get so deep into a franchise, connect with the storylines in my own universe (this is a critical point), never did i realise this could even happen! I got 100 plus games into my franny (i play every pitch of every game) for the first time ever, and only had to shelve it for life reasons, which are all now resolved, for had they not i would have had time for multiple seasons and really, really enjoyed it.

This year, after my lessons learned of '23, i cant wait, cannot wait i tell you, to do the same.

There will be many of you out there that plan to wait for this roster, those sliders, that patch, and i get it, i really do, i WAS that person for years, so i wont blame you, or call you, or dismiss you, been there too long - but as of last year...no longer.

So for those of you who do struggle to get deep into a 'chise, who feel the need to do "just one more restart", take a lesson from an Englishman who, until he hit 43 - didnt see the wood from the trees...and just play.

Of course, not all will be able to do this, and i empathise to a large degree, but honestly, doing this last year, and this year from next Friday on launch day...it is SO empowering, so freeing to take control of your video game time, your enjoyment with this game, without letting so many largely unimportant variables ruin it for you.

Remember - dont chase that perfect setup - it aint out there folks.

My choice of avatar these days reflects my new found freedom in terms of video games and the show especially...i only wish id realised it years before!

So, to March 15, when ill take the plunge, my new franchise will begin, and, having learned the lessons of the failures before, the success of just playing will begin - and by god will it be enjoyed!

I hope this post chimes with some of you whove been in the same boat for years.

Happy gaming, and happy The Show 24 folks, learn from my lessons...and play ball!

Amen to that, I am glad you found the gaming happiness we all look to find. Great stuff
NHL: New York Rangers
NCAAFOOTBALL: Miami Hurricanes
NCAABASKETBALL: Duke Blue Devils
Old 03-10-2024, 04:29 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6

I used to be that way before they were allowed to have real prospects in the game, always waiting for the next OSFM update. Now the longest I'll wait is for the first SCEA update if there are guys missing from the Mets although I did restart after the trade deadline last year because I liked the idea of playing with a stripped down Mets team.
Old 03-10-2024, 04:31 PM   #4
MVP

LegendKillerOne's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyes the roof
I used to be that way before they were allowed to have real prospects in the game, always waiting for the next OSFM update. Now the longest I'll wait is for the first SCEA update if there are guys missing from the Mets although I did restart after the trade deadline last year because I liked the idea of playing with a stripped down Mets team.
Same I just wait for first update then I am off, I am hoping this year is different for me, I usually start getting pissed during the season at the real mets to where I can't stand looking at them and I quit my franchise. This year I expect them to suck so it might not get me as angry at them
Old 03-10-2024, 04:47 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendKillerOne
Same I just wait for first update then I am off, I am hoping this year is different for me, I usually start getting pissed during the season at the real mets to where I can't stand looking at them and I quit my franchise. This year I expect them to suck so it might not get me as angry at them
Yeah I was so disgusted with the pitching staff last year that I simmed all of the pitching except when Senga or Diaz were on the mound.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-10-2024, 05:07 PM   #6
Rookie

How are day one rosters? Isn't there lots of players missing on release day?

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
Old 03-10-2024, 05:27 PM   #7
MVP

LegendKillerOne's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthsgrg32
How are day one rosters? Isn't there lots of players missing on release day?

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
Only ones who never played in the big yet, do like Yamamoto, Imanaga, Lee will be missing until first roster update
Old 03-10-2024, 05:31 PM   #8
MVP

KnightTemplar's Arena

Just play.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »