Home

Considering Going Back to Traditional DH Rules in '24

This is a discussion on Considering Going Back to Traditional DH Rules in '24 within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 02-14-2024, 09:37 AM   #1
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62
Considering Going Back to Traditional DH Rules in '24

I am strongly considering returning to traditional DH rules for my franchise in '24. I've played traditional DH rules up thru '22, before using the modern day rules for '23. And while I don't mind the modern day rules, I really miss the managerial situations that not having a DH brought up in any given game (double switch, sacrifice bunting, pinch hitting for pitcher, pitching around hitter to get to pitcher spot in lineup, etc...)

The games just seem to lack "important" decisions during the game.

Did anyone play using modern rules in '23? How did the AI do in regards to those situations and roster building? Any thoughts to share?

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-14-2024, 09:43 AM   #2
Rookie

JWDixon120's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Considering Going Back to Traditional DH Rules in '24

I’ve played using both this year and honestly didn’t notice much difference in game or with roster building.

In game, AI makes the same decisions they normally would with their pitcher, but also make the additional pinch hitting sub. Bullpen management seems to be a little better with old rules though. You won’t see LRP guys throwing 4 innings in a close game.

With the roster building aspect, I’m not sure if there is a difference either. Teams usually lack an identity in roster building so maybe that’s why? I usually run 30 team control to help these things however, so I may just not have seen it.

I do miss the old rules. NL management was really tough but rewarding in those situations.

In terms of roster building, I’m hoping this year we may get something similar to Madden with the “player tags”. So a player with a good bat and bad fielding could receive some sort of “DH” likeliness tag and teams could target them in the offseason for that purchase.

So at the end of the day, I’d just go with what you like most, which sounds like the old rules. The game doesn’t fundamentally play at a different enough level roster building wise to have that impact your decision IMO.

-Franchise Fidelity to Reality Roster out Now!
-Creator of JWDixon’s Franchise Spreadsheet
-More coming soon!
Old 02-14-2024, 09:50 AM   #3
Rookie

The Gamer's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
I am strongly considering returning to traditional DH rules for my franchise in '24. I've played traditional DH rules up thru '22, before using the modern day rules for '23. And while I don't mind the modern day rules, I really miss the managerial situations that not having a DH brought up in any given game (double switch, sacrifice bunting, pinch hitting for pitcher, pitching around hitter to get to pitcher spot in lineup, etc...)

Did anyone play using modern rules in '23? How did the AI do in regards to those situations and roster building? Any thoughts to share?
23 was the first time I used universal DH. I agree with you, but the way rosters are constructed now, you almost have to use DH.

I also play a lot with classic rosters as well so I get my "real" baseball fix there.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

SecondACR Vet

Follow me on Twitch

https://www.twitch.tv/bhoward1968

Follow me on X

BradHowardSr
Old 02-14-2024, 11:06 AM   #4
Pro

IndianSummer's Arena

I play with the Cards most of the time as a NL team and it is hard for me to use the DH when doing so.

I am currently trying to make chicken salad out of chicken $#*€ with the A’s and am using the DH rule.
Old 02-14-2024, 11:08 AM   #5
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy

Was 22 the one where you tried traditional DH rules and the CPU screwed up roster decisions with no DH in the NL?

2013 and 2015 OS NFL Pick'em Champ...somehow I won 2 in 3 years.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-14-2024, 11:14 AM   #6
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenom1990
Was 22 the one where you tried traditional DH rules and the CPU screwed up roster decisions with no DH in the NL?
'22 is where I used the traditional DH rules and it felt as though the CPU was trying to fill the DH role. But after discussion with SDS and looking back thru '21 and '20, it really wasn't trying to fill a DH position, as the position doesn't exist in the roster screen, therefore there is no logic for the AI to try to fill that spot.

So...yeah that was all my hangup versus a "flaw" in the game.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 02-14-2024, 01:05 PM   #7
Rookie

This is purely anecdotal but I feel like the game is still programmed for traditional DH rules. In the various franchises I had in 22 it seemed to me that NL pitchers usually had more complete games than the AL pitchers. Like the ai was waiting to pitch hit for them but then obviously never could. I also seemed to draw an inordinate number of walks with my #8 hitter. Like the ai was pitching around to get to the pitcher.

I haven’t played 23 much so maybe it’s different now. Also it’s very likely that all of that was in my head to begin with.
Old 02-14-2024, 01:17 PM   #8
MVP

Houston's Arena

What you could consider doing is using universal DH until say 7th inning and convert lineup for both teams to a NL lineup by moving the DH to a position. Then each team would manage like the old NL would. Pinch hit, double switch etc or even pitch with the positional player if you chose to.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »