Home

Least-Broken 2K(s)

This is a discussion on Least-Broken 2K(s) within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 02-08-2024, 08:36 AM   #1
Pro

vetmin's Arena

OVR: 0
Least-Broken 2K(s)

This thread isn't meant to pile on 2K, since as games get more complex there is inevitably more that can go wrong with them, but for those who have been playing 2K for a long time and feel that the game is broken / dysfunctional / glitched in a way that it didn't used to be, what were the last game(s) that you felt 'worked' to an acceptable degree (i.e., choices you made — from playcalling to freelance-running to defensive gameplanning to slider-adjusting, etc. — had a tangible effect more or less in line with what should be expected for those settings / choices)? Note that this is not necessarily the same as 'what's your favorite 2K?', since a lot of things can affect one's general preference (for instance, maybe you think more stuff is broken in 2K23 & '24, but they're your favs because of Eras).

I'm curious since I'm a relatively new 2Ker (dabbled with 2K18 & '19 but didn't really get into it the way we all are until 2K20). I've heard people claim everything from 2K9 to 11 to 14 to 16 to 18 to 20 as the last 2K that 'just worked' to an acceptable degree. I can only sorta judge 2K20, but it was my first real 2K so it's kinda hard to trust my memory / perception of it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-08-2024, 03:18 PM   #2
Rookie

Limasbravo's Arena

Re: Least-Broken 2K(s)

I'd say 14. Very happy with MyPlayer. Not sure if others are better at leveling up your player, but 14 it wasn't horrible. 11 was okay, but I didn't like not using the right stick for dribble moves.

Plus, it wins over the latest MyPlayers that you don't have to go through all these tasks, in order for 2K to get Advertising dollars, in 14 you could just simply jump to the next game.
Old 02-08-2024, 06:21 PM   #3
MVP

jk31's Arena

2k11 was in my opinion one of the Most polished games gameplaywise that we ever had. Also we had the community Homepage where you could track your online leagues with very much Detail. you could even follow games through a live Ticket and shot chart and Stuff like that. but it had its own problems:

- the game crashed with a "Network Terror" when pressing dunk at the border of the paint in a 1:0 Fastbreak

- Due to a Bug with their benchmark on PC, when playing online the game always reverted to the lowest graphics settings. it looked horrible. this but Was in There up until 2k14 i think.

- it hat crew Mode which was great, but connecting to opponents rarely worked.
Old 02-09-2024, 08:05 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2

Rose tinted glasses have people forgetting how broken 2k11 was despite the improvements over 10.
The eurostep was a canimation that you could not defend.
The spin dunk from the post was another. The hop step used to go through people like they were ghosts. If you initiated contact on a drive and hop stepped backwards, the opponent could not contest the shot. And just like the cut pass for the next gen versions, instead of fixing the hop step and the physics in general, they just made it harder to do in 2k12.

The only thing I kinda sorta miss from 11 was the ability to shoot with little space and actually make shots. Now it's open or bust and while I like the idea of the contest system, the implementation needs work. I can't play with Kobe like Kobe used to play and hit tough shots like he did. Oh and the Hall of Fame lobby. I didn't really touch ranked. HOF doesn't necessarily fix all of the cheap stuff but it helped curtail it. Full court bomb passes used to go errant in those days.

That said, is year is definitely not one with the double tap shoot button, spin move, unguardable canimation and the euro being abusable again.

2k21 was pretty balanced. Bad 3pt shooters were genuinely bad. No hitting a barrage of 3s with Ayton, AC Green, Giannis, Rondo, McGee etc.

I forget which year, but one year there was a 2k where if your opponent bit on a pump fake and kept jumping, on the 3rd or 4th jump, without the offensive player doing anything, the game would call a blocking foul. They need to bring that back ASAP.

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk

Last edited by YDBoUnCe; 02-11-2024 at 07:04 PM.
Old 02-11-2024, 12:54 AM   #5
MVP

NYJin2011tm's Arena

People will think I’m nuts but I’ve been playing 17 lately. It’s the one I have the most fun with. I took inspiration from the Omaha Airmen in the newer versions and I created my own expansion Tampa Airmen. Made the court and uniforms as close as possible. Been a blast so far as I am 2-7 on the season as I should be being an expansion team. I’m doing a 60 game season with a 5-5-7-7 playoff format.

Last edited by NYJin2011tm; 02-11-2024 at 12:59 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-11-2024, 09:05 AM   #6
MVP

cch99's Arena

OVR: 9

I’ve been playing 16 lately. Feels so much more sim like. Seeing animations that look so natural that I don’t see now. Guys don’t hit every wide open shot. Also fast breaks are plentiful. Sometimes defenders give space especially on bigs and defenders don’t feel like they are constantly glued to your player.

Played a game of 24 today and was wishing it had some of the things 16 has.

To be fair graphics are way better now and jump shots are so much smoother and better looking now.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 02-11-2024, 06:34 PM   #7
Pro

Cowboyfan_19's Arena

2k11, 2k14 (ps4/xb1), & 2k16 were all good, especially before patches.

These next-gen 2ks have felt very formulaic & coded. Like how the hell can I have a 0% chance of scoring on Draymond Green just because he has some stupid anchor badge? But I can easily post spin & drop step on Dirk and score 100% of the time? Just way too many absolute values encoded I feel.
Old 02-11-2024, 07:58 PM   #8
MVP

NYJin2011tm's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboyfan_19
2k11, 2k14 (ps4/xb1), & 2k16 were all good, especially before patches.

These next-gen 2ks have felt very formulaic & coded. Like how the hell can I have a 0% chance of scoring on Draymond Green just because he has some stupid anchor badge? But I can easily post spin & drop step on Dirk and score 100% of the time? Just way too many absolute values encoded I feel.
Exactly! Badges have too much effect on things. Previous gen wasn’t like this and the game just flowed better.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »