Home

Help with on-the-fly defensive matchup management

This is a discussion on Help with on-the-fly defensive matchup management within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 12-05-2023, 01:31 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 5
Help with on-the-fly defensive matchup management

how does everybody handle defensive matchups during a game?

i'm playing as the current celtics in myeras lite. i haven't tinkered with a season mode against the CPU for years, so i'm a little out of touch.

last night as i'm playing against the miami heat, i notice that once sam hauser gets subbed in, he's guarding jimmy butler bc they're both at SF. later, butler moves to PG and by default the game has payton pritchard guarding him. meanwhile, tatum is guarding like duncan robinson.

i know how to set preferred defenders in the menus under individual defensive settings, but it's cumbersome to retweak these settings every time there's a substitution. and even if i were to go through it, i don't see a way to see who's currently on the court and how they are matched. it seems like i basically have to visually take inventory of everyone on the court in real time, which makes the whole process even more cumbersome.

i tried using the in-game controls to change matchups (PS5: right D-pad, R1 i think it was), but then i need to remap my brain to press the correct positional buttons and find the matchup i want, which while simultaneously trying to play defense in the game is pretty difficult. and then it seems this quick menu method is applied to the defensive settings in the menu, so after enough quick menu matchup changing, your assignments can get all screwy.

BACK IN MY DAY … there was a matchups screen, totally imperfect itself, but easier to manipulate than what i can find now.

so my question is, how do OSers manage defensive matchups? do you guys tweak them in the menus on every substitution? if so, how do you know who's even on the floor? or do you guys master the quick menus and have mastered the muscle memory to set everyone up fast, like executing complex Street Fighter 2 combos? or is there some other method i'm missing? surely you don't just accept PG vs PG, SG vs SG, etc.
• Dr. J Vs. Bird
• Lakers Vs. Celtics and the NBA Playoffs
• Jordan Vs. Bird
• NBA Jam
• SNES NCAA Basketball
• Tecmo NBA Basketball
• NBA Live 95
• NBA 2k2 to infinity
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-05-2023, 10:00 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Help with on-the-fly defensive matchup management

May be a byproduct of playing myNBAlite. Out of game I can go into coaching>>>gameplan>>>select any team>>>matchups in the standard myNBA.

I typically don't worry about managing matchups at a in-depth level. If a team has someone I'm worried about I set that matchup only and live with any potential matchup may develop as a result of that (e.g. set my 3 to matchup against Jimmy, but then when Jimmy moves to PG my PG may then be matched up against their 3, but often I can live with that in short spurts. Otherwise in that same gameplan area of the front end I'll set up custom rotations for that team only
Old 12-07-2023, 03:49 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0

What I typically do is set the worst defender on a team to lock onto to worst offensive player, and the best defensive player to guard the best defender. That way whenever the subs and different rotations start coming in, there will be somewhat respectable matchups going on at all times.
Old 12-07-2023, 05:48 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 5

once substitutions start happening, everything becomes so situational. particularly with miami (but probably with many other teams as well) i just want one of brown, tatum, white, or holiday guarding butler. i could set brown to be primary defender on butler, but once he comes off the court, tatum is leading the second unit, and i've prematched hauser onto duncan robinson or caleb martin, i'm afraid horford is going to end up guarding the wrong guy.

i don't know. i wish there were a way to easily sort it out or at least a textual way to see who's on the court at a glance so i can easily handle it in the defensive settings menu. even if it were a box on the side of the defensive settings screen that simply showed who's on court right now.

for all the manual sub-ers, playbook setters, defensive settings deep-divers, i'm surprised this isn't more of a talked about issue. or maybe i'm looking at the problem the wrong way.
• Dr. J Vs. Bird
• Lakers Vs. Celtics and the NBA Playoffs
• Jordan Vs. Bird
• NBA Jam
• SNES NCAA Basketball
• Tecmo NBA Basketball
• NBA Live 95
• NBA 2k2 to infinity

Last edited by hapa17; 12-07-2023 at 05:50 PM.
Old 12-08-2023, 03:47 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by hapa17
once substitutions start happening, everything becomes so situational. particularly with miami (but probably with many other teams as well) i just want one of brown, tatum, white, or holiday guarding butler. i could set brown to be primary defender on butler, but once he comes off the court, tatum is leading the second unit, and i've prematched hauser onto duncan robinson or caleb martin, i'm afraid horford is going to end up guarding the wrong guy.

i don't know. i wish there were a way to easily sort it out or at least a textual way to see who's on the court at a glance so i can easily handle it in the defensive settings menu. even if it were a box on the side of the defensive settings screen that simply showed who's on court right now.

for all the manual sub-ers, playbook setters, defensive settings deep-divers, i'm surprised this isn't more of a talked about issue. or maybe i'm looking at the problem the wrong way.
Honestly to me, if I'm playing MyEra (or MyLeague) and this issue bothers me this much, that means it's time for me to look into a trade lol. Find a player who is better suited to take over that matchup. Or just trade Horford.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »