Home

CPU’s knowledge on matching up…

This is a discussion on CPU’s knowledge on matching up… within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 12-05-2023, 11:58 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 13
CPU’s knowledge on matching up…

For some reason I was using Dallas and Luka is obviously my PG, playing against Raptors they put Dennis Schroder on me and I am like dude this never happened in real life like is not pos match up with position 2K…is putting the right guy to match up against me perhaps it should be like Siakam, anyone knows if sliders or whatever can fix it…or it needs a patch…?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-05-2023, 12:35 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: CPU’s knowledge on matching up…

I would just put Luka at SF or even SG. Changing matchups is super tricky for an AI, because, say, if Luka is at PG, so the other team puts their SF on him, now their PG has to guard Dallas' SF, and if that's not a favorable matchups, more things have to change, and it gets extremely complicated, even for a human to figure out.
Old 12-05-2023, 12:44 PM   #3
MVP

howardphillips214's Arena

Name one player in the league that ISN'T a mismatch for Luka. I'll wait.

Luka DESTROYED the Clippers in the Bubble, even tho we lost. Then did it again on his way to the conference Finals before Brunson left. Then we tanked for Lively.

Luka has averaged almost a 30 point triple double his whole career. Top 5 in the league.

Please describe your issue in detail because I'm confused.
Old 12-05-2023, 01:33 PM   #4
Rookie

m29a's Arena

2K defense is not dynamic enough, especially with match-ups. There are strict "put best defender on player x" logic but it's not fluid. In fact, some of the best defenders in the league don't always guard the best players, because being the stopper for a full game is too taxing.

Luka plays as a 1 on offense, yet on defense he really guards the 4 (or the weakest wing). As of now and until 2K defense logic improves, Luka should be listed as a 3 or 4 so he is more often guarded by the appropriate player. It especially is a problem because Kyrie is on the same team and listed at 2, so Kyrie by default guards some bigger 2s and... that's not recommended.

Luka should never by default be guarded by small guards, and Luka should never by default guard small guards. It was the same thing with Harden being listed at 1. Harden guarding Fox or the average athletic 1? Amusing to say the least.

Last edited by m29a; 12-05-2023 at 01:42 PM.
Old 12-05-2023, 01:51 PM   #5
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by m29a
2K defense is not dynamic enough, especially with match-ups. There are strict "put best defender on player x" logic but it's not fluid. In fact, some of the best defenders in the league don't always guard the best players, because being the stopper for a full game is too taxing.

Luka plays as a 1 on offense, yet on defense he really guards the 4 (or the weakest wing). As of now and until 2K defense logic improves, Luka should be listed as a 3 or 4 so he is more often guarded by the appropriate player.

Luka should never by default be guarded by small guards, and Luka should never by default guard small guards. It was the same thing with Harden being listed at 1. Harden guarding Fox or the average athletic 1? Amusing to say the least.
I was playing with lineups on the Lakers when starting Lebron at the 1 against the Clippers in the playoffs. CPU immediately put Kawhi on Lebron and tried to hide Westbrook on Christian Wood. I exploited that mismatch the entire series, Wood averaged 30 and we swept them, CPU never adjusted.

Your points are all valid. However, the point still stands that there's not a scheme, 1 on 1 matchup or a single shred of footage you can show me where Luka has been SHUT DOWN.

I can recall Durant against Boston in the playoffs a couple years back.

Lebron against the Mavs in the Finals.

Jordan early on against the Pistons and the Celtics before he started winning.

We lost against the Warriors in the WCF but did the STOP Luka or did he have a few bad games and not enough help?

There's a BIG difference in having moments where a TEAM or a PLAYER absolutely shuts down an opponent's best player.

My point is, currently as it stands today, Luka is still one of the best PLAYOFF performers we've ever seen as well as in the regular season. I don't think there's a "blueprint" on Luka yet and there's a LOT of film to back me up.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-05-2023, 02:03 PM   #6
MVP

Lol... Lukas last game for me.

38-4-12 with two TOs. 16-23 from the floor.

Just talk about a different player, please. He plays amazing and they should never touch his ratings again!
Old 12-05-2023, 02:07 PM   #7
Pro

I think you're misunderstanding whoever you're saying that in response to, because unless I'm mistaken, I don't see anyone saying Luka isn't a great player or should have his ratings lowered.
Old 12-05-2023, 05:27 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorMG
I think you're misunderstanding whoever you're saying that in response to, because unless I'm mistaken, I don't see anyone saying Luka isn't a great player or should have his ratings lowered.
Let the man Stan for Luka a little bit

Anyway on topic, Da Czar came out and said outright that the AI is not advanced enough or where it needs to be in order to have dynamic matchups like that. Hopefully we get there soon, but its not something that would be patched in; it would need to be introduced in the next game

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »