Home

Old 11-09-2023, 07:16 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
23 vs 24

Lets just put it out there . Its about that time of the year where you have either bought the game, thinking about it or passing. This update didn’t do much for Rosters or offline.

With the Gameplay, lighting, rosters.

Simply put… is 24 worth the switch?

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-10-2023, 10:54 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 10
Re: 23 vs 24

I haven't bought NHL since 22, I played a test for 23 and the way the series is going I don't plan on buying another one unless the game is entirely rebuilt from the ground up. Because the problems are the on ice experience, the llack of immersiveness of playing a season, and ridiculous in-game effects and 'distraction graphics' as I call them to keep the attention of people who've grown desensitised to anything that isn't loud and over designed and happening right in their face. Those are the things that have made the game unplayable to me and lots of people I know. Thankfully there's a strong community of people making updates for the older games that are still great.
Old 11-10-2023, 03:35 PM   #3
Rookie

shanev's Arena

OVR: 3

Honestly, I don’t think the game has been worth full price for a while. I buy it, spend hours tweaking it, and get some enjoyment out of it, but it never really gives me a feeling of playing a good game of hockey.

I feel like the engine is broken, it glitches into motion capture, I can’t tell if the game is reactive to the commentary, rather than the other way around like it should be, I usually end up shutting it off after a few games anyway because it becomes annoying and repetitive.

The roster updates are generally pretty bad, tons of missing guys, prospects that are rated so poorly that they’ll never figure into your franchise. And an editor that’s counterproductive, so you have to work almost twice as hard to change basic things.

I’m not sure if EA is contractually obligated to make everyone rated a certain level, but in the early years of the game they rated fourth line guys like fourth line guys, and there was a definite difference top to bottom. Every year I consider doing a massive overhaul myself to see if it helps, but like I said it’s not built to do that amount of work. And if you did, a few years into franchise mode would undo it all anyway with no way to edit guys in mode.

And lastly, the sim engine is atrocious, I feel like they’d be better off using a random generator for wins, stats, etc based off ratings than whatever it is they do now.

With all that said, I buy it every year, usually on sale now, and fiddle with it, and play a bunch of games knowing what I’m getting.

Sent from my iPad using Operation Sports
Old 11-10-2023, 07:32 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanev
Honestly, I don’t think the game has been worth full price for a while. I buy it, spend hours tweaking it, and get some enjoyment out of it, but it never really gives me a feeling of playing a good game of hockey.

I feel like the engine is broken, it glitches into motion capture, I can’t tell if the game is reactive to the commentary, rather than the other way around like it should be, I usually end up shutting it off after a few games anyway because it becomes annoying and repetitive.

The roster updates are generally pretty bad, tons of missing guys, prospects that are rated so poorly that they’ll never figure into your franchise. And an editor that’s counterproductive, so you have to work almost twice as hard to change basic things.

I’m not sure if EA is contractually obligated to make everyone rated a certain level, but in the early years of the game they rated fourth line guys like fourth line guys, and there was a definite difference top to bottom. Every year I consider doing a massive overhaul myself to see if it helps, but like I said it’s not built to do that amount of work. And if you did, a few years into franchise mode would undo it all anyway with no way to edit guys in mode.

And lastly, the sim engine is atrocious, I feel like they’d be better off using a random generator for wins, stats, etc based off ratings than whatever it is they do now.

With all that said, I buy it every year, usually on sale now, and fiddle with it, and play a bunch of games knowing what I’m getting.

Sent from my iPad using Operation Sports

The ratings in this game is what really bothers me. There is no true separation. Madden for example… you have starters in the low 70’s. You feel it when they are out there. Never understood why everyone is at least an 80 in NHL lol its a very flawed system. Goalies are minimum of 80 in the NHL. Come on.

I wish i had the time to create a true separation roster between a star player rated 92 vs a 4th liner that should be rated between 72-74. Imagine how great that would be. Im a big fan of Madden because of the parody in that roster. If a guy gets hurt… your done. The free agents are rated accordingly. Which in the NFL can be true to life.

A system like: (Ratings are an example)
Line 1 - stars (88-100)
Line 2 - Stars/regulars (82 - 88)
Line 3 - Role/Fringe (77-82)
Line 4- role/AHL (70-77)

That would be truly something.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 11-12-2023, 06:54 PM   #5
Rookie

23 vs 24

LTIR question for you roster editors….

Players like Muzzin.. where you want the CAP hit but dont want them on their team… what are you guys doing?

I have heard several different theory’s. I know about the player rating and ECHL assignment. What happens if you send them to the AHL and edit them to a 50 rating rather then ECHL… will that still count against the cap?

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-13-2023, 01:41 AM   #6
Pro

stlgamer09's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyWest
LTIR question for you roster editors….

Players like Muzzin.. where you want the CAP hit but dont want them on their team… what are you guys doing?

I have heard several different theory’s. I know about the player rating and ECHL assignment. What happens if you send them to the AHL and edit them to a 50 rating rather then ECHL… will that still count against the cap?

Personally I move them to the ECHL and let people decide for themselves if the want to add them back to a team.
FHM 2017 - 2022

Old 02-16-2024, 02:37 AM   #7
MVP

THESHAMISASHAME's Arena

OVR: 3

I tried the stripped down presentation of nhl 23 and found the gameplay incredible out of the box but as I mentioned there's no replays or presentation ?

We still have less then 50% real faces in the game but they had time to add 6 new diver****ty referees ?
I haven't tried 24 and 22 is my go to game because of incredible roster share , currently playing 1997 season.
Old 02-16-2024, 10:36 AM   #8
MVP

I have sliders to a point in 23 that it plays as good as a video hockey game could. I also love the classic rosters on 22 but after playing several seasons the animations have gotten stale. Plus I like the broadcast camera angle on 23 better

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Rosters »