Home

What happened to this game? They ruined it

This is a discussion on What happened to this game? They ruined it within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 10-22-2023, 08:19 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
What happened to this game? They ruined it

Anyone else notice a difference in gameplay these last 2 days? It's extremely difficult and frustrating, the shooting is beyond annoying, I'm releasing the meter in the green window and either a perfect release won't register, or the green window will all of a sudden shrink as soon as I release it in green, the meter is either way too fast or way too slow and there's no way to tell when that's gonna happen, making contested shots even with great shooters is almost impossible, I've tried the game on different difficulty levels and different sliders and I'm getting blown out by 30 every game

This went from being one of the best 2ks ever gameplay wise to now one of the worst, I'm sick of these online mycareer crybabies always wining and having the devs change stuff up
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-22-2023, 09:16 PM   #2
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: What happened to this game? They ruined it

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawPowers33
Anyone else notice a difference in gameplay these last 2 days? It's extremely difficult and frustrating, the shooting is beyond annoying, I'm releasing the meter in the green window and either a perfect release won't register, or the green window will all of a sudden shrink as soon as I release it in green, the meter is either way too fast or way too slow and there's no way to tell when that's gonna happen, making contested shots even with great shooters is almost impossible, I've tried the game on different difficulty levels and different sliders and I'm getting blown out by 30 every game

This went from being one of the best 2ks ever gameplay wise to now one of the worst, I'm sick of these online mycareer crybabies always wining and having the devs change stuff up
There were 2 updates
Old 10-22-2023, 09:23 PM   #3
Rookie

I know but I didn't start to notice how frustrating it was til yesterday, when the game first came out it was challenging but fair, I felt like if I missed a shot it was my fault, now the CPU is cheap as hell, this game isn't fun anymore
Old 10-22-2023, 09:38 PM   #4
MVP

NYJin2011tm's Arena

Exactly why I’ve kept the game offline this year after what happened last year. It’s playing too good, not taking any chances.
Old 10-22-2023, 10:29 PM   #5
Rookie

m29a's Arena

Honestly the game plays just about the same to me since day 1. I think a lot of the changes they make are mostly directed to online modes. I'm not saying there weren't changes but that I don't think the result is that big of a swing of things.

Part of it depends how the "new game" feel wearing off, and some warts of the game (since day 1, IMO) simply cropping up more. Since day 1, I personally felt this game was all in on green or nothing (despite the gameplay blog suggesting lower difficulties that didn't matter as much). A lot of non-hardcore users still likely couldn't really make contested shots in this game cause any light contest results in the meter going too fast and too small of a window. The same problems I've had with the game have been there on day 1.

Also could be the frequency of games and sample size. I could see how someone played only occasionally having good games, then a string of games after a patch going sideways (some games are just going to feel a bit random, it's still basketball).

Regardless of how anyone feels, they're absolutely going to listen to the loudest voices on social media with hundreds of thousands / millions followers. If those players are bashing the game, people following can turn sour and feel like "hey, my favorite content creator says this is bad, so it really must be bad regardless of my own experience and feelings". Just the nature of the beast unfortunately. People want street ball 7 ft athletic sharpshoots who can do it all -- but especially go 9/10 on 3s.

Who wants to shoot 3/10 on threes? BORING

Last edited by m29a; 10-22-2023 at 10:34 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-23-2023, 01:01 AM   #6
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by m29a
Honestly the game plays just about the same to me since day 1. I think a lot of the changes they make are mostly directed to online modes. I'm not saying there weren't changes but that I don't think the result is that big of a swing of things.

Part of it depends how the "new game" feel wearing off, and some warts of the game (since day 1, IMO) simply cropping up more. Since day 1, I personally felt this game was all in on green or nothing (despite the gameplay blog suggesting lower difficulties that didn't matter as much). A lot of non-hardcore users still likely couldn't really make contested shots in this game cause any light contest results in the meter going too fast and too small of a window. The same problems I've had with the game have been there on day 1.

Also could be the frequency of games and sample size. I could see how someone played only occasionally having good games, then a string of games after a patch going sideways (some games are just going to feel a bit random, it's still basketball).

Regardless of how anyone feels, they're absolutely going to listen to the loudest voices on social media with hundreds of thousands / millions followers. If those players are bashing the game, people following can turn sour and feel like "hey, my favorite content creator says this is bad, so it really must be bad regardless of my own experience and feelings". Just the nature of the beast unfortunately. People want street ball 7 ft athletic sharpshoots who can do it all -- but especially go 9/10 on 3s.

My opinion as well. I don't think the game changes as much as our honeymoon period ends and/or a bad (or good) stretch of games makes people think there's some greater purpose to it instead of the simple explanation that it was just a bad (or good) stretch of games.

I played the entire regular season of the 03 season with Jordan's Wizards and I had a really good stretch in December. MJ himself averaged about 28 for the month on >50% shooting and the team was lights out in the 4th quarter. Thought maybe it was due to an update but I made a decision that I was not going to make the same mistake I made last year and go down that rabbit hole so I just kept playing without making any changes. Turns out it was probably just a good stretch of games and we cooled off the final week of December. Jordan came back down to averaging 22 on 44% on the year and we ultimately leveled out finishing 4th seed (but only 1 game ahead of the 7th seed)
Old 10-23-2023, 01:54 AM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by m29a

I'm not even some hardcore player but I'm no casual, and with good players I was able to make contested shots and it felt like it was all me, now like I said in the original post, the game is just cheap, I'll release it in green and either it doesn't register or the window will switch up and make me miss when I know I got a perfect release, that wasn't happening a few days ago even after the patches, not to mention that what the CPU says is a contested shot is now random as hell, a defender won't be anywhere near me and it will say contested and sometimes a defender will play good defense and it will say wide open it makes no sense, and defenders have been warping into place more often now

Offline the game should be about how good the player is that you're using and knowing strengths and weaknesses of the opponents, it should be easier to make contested shots with great players and harder with less great players, but you should still have a chance to make a shot no matter what, it should depend on your skill coupled with the knowledge you have of every players abilities
Old 10-23-2023, 01:58 AM   #8
Old school

DaWolf's Arena

OVR: 8

Here is the reason (happened two days ago):

So basically this update didnt only removed the speed ups from shooting when covered but also the slower shooting when wide open. I really liked the slow organic animations - thex did feel great - and are now gone.

What drives me crazy is that they make such a big change for the "comp players" without the option to disable / enable the option for offline players. If you have to change so much for the online crowd than PLEASE make those changes optional @DEVS

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »