Home

Why 2k Graphics max out so early this new Gen?

This is a discussion on Why 2k Graphics max out so early this new Gen? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 10-17-2023, 06:07 AM   #1
MVP

simbayless's Arena

OVR: 2
Why 2k Graphics max out so early this new Gen?

Look at at the LeBron pics from 2k14-2k20
You will see bigger improvements each year
But on the new Consoles you see tiny improvements and 2k24 looks maxed out!nba-2k14-ps4-lebron-screenshot_1920.0.jpgnba-2k16-lebron-james-tattoos_157yettcla9r3150vicswga810.jpg14702318_907475292720971_7411050838676118194_n-e1492553459844.jpgnba-2k18-lebron.jpghor-ng-03.jpg

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-17-2023, 12:21 PM   #2
Rookie

m29a's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Why 2k Graphics max out so early this new Gen?

A LOT of the extra power of the new consoles went towards native 4K resolution, which is extremely demanding (also remember 2K plays at 60 fps as well).

A lot of other new games are able to offer enhanced visual fidelity because they use a dynamic scaling resolution that starts at 1440p and there can be artificial intelligence that sharpens the quality as well. It has been said that sometimes fake 4K can look better than real 4K in some games. Digital Foundry has some interesting tech dives on this.

Also in general true new games (not cross-gen) may be moving back to 30 fps, like Starfield because it allows for extra asset quality, lighting, effects etc. Don't be surprised if the next Grand Theft Auto is at 30 fps.

Can 2K look better? Yes. But it requires the developers to utilize other technology and more importantly give up native 4K. They need to maintain 60 fps for very smooth input. It's not hard to believe that currently if they add more effects and lighting, and better crowds, the performance is going to tank.

Edit: I doubt the average 2K user would notice the difference between 1440p and 4K unless they're sitting unusually close to their TV -- even ignoring the extra detail you can add with 1440p.

Last edited by m29a; 10-17-2023 at 02:26 PM.
Old 10-17-2023, 01:22 PM   #3
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by m29a
A LOT of the extra power of the new consoles went towards native 4K resolution, which is extremely demanding (also remember 2K plays at 60 fps as well).

A lot of other new games are able to offer enhanced visual fidelity because they use a dynamic scaling resolution that starts at 1440p and there can be artificial intelligence that sharpens the quality as well. It has been said that sometimes fake 4K can look better than real 4K in some games. Digital Foundry has some interesting tech dives on this.

Also in general true new games (not cross-gen) may be moving back to 30 fps, like Starfield because it allows for extra asset quality, lighting, effects etc. Don't be surprised if the next Grand Theft Auto is at 30 fps.

Can 2K look better? Yes. But it requires the developers to utilize other technology and more importantly give up native 4K. They need to maintain 60 fps for very smooth input. It's not hard to believe that currently if they add more effects and lighting, and better crowds, the performance is going to tank.
All for them giving up on native 4k. Most of their user base doesnt care about 4k and couldn’t tell the difference between 4k and 1080p/1440p
Old 10-17-2023, 01:35 PM   #4
Rookie

Hopefully this is the last 2k released on PS4 and Xbox One. I don’t want 2k25 releasing on consoles from 2013.
Old 10-17-2023, 06:30 PM   #5
MVP

They need to give us a Performance Mode like Madden has. I've been saying this for years. Idk why they haven't added this yet. All sports games should have it. I would gladly take a hit in resolution for a smooth 60fps or unlocked framerate in all areas, not just gameplay. The framerate is a lot smoother this year for the after basket cut scenes, but still very choppy at times in other areas (player introductions, players walking to the bench, certain replays, etc.) I didn't think we would still have these issues this far into this gen..

Last edited by JKSportsGamer1984; 10-17-2023 at 09:35 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-17-2023, 06:58 PM   #6
Banned

Yeah performance mode would be great. For me, graphical fidelity >>> resolution.
Old 10-18-2023, 07:54 AM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKSportsGamer1984
They need to give us a Performance Mode like Madden has. I've been saying this for years. Idk why they haven't added this yet. All sports games should have it. I would gladly take a hit in resolution for a smooth 60fps or unlocked framerate in all areas, not just gameplay. The framerate is a lot smoother this year for the after basket cut scenes, but still very choppy at times in other areas (player introductions, players walking to the bench, certain replays, etc.) I didn't think we would still have these issues this far into this gen..
Was hoping for a performance mode by now. I would gladly sacrifice resolution for better framerates
Old 10-18-2023, 09:20 AM   #8
Pro

vetmin's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by KobeDropped81
All for them giving up on native 4k. Most of their user base doesnt care about 4k and couldn’t tell the difference between 4k and 1080p/1440p
It's indeed a very weird hill for them to let the graphics of this series die on. From everything I've seen and heard, 2K24 is a clear step backwards graphically from 2K23, and some users here have suggested that maybe they took a step backward visually for the sake of better performance (since apparently there were notable performance issues in 2K23?). If they could address the performance issues in part or in full by instead dropping native 4K, I don't see why that wouldn't be preferrable, since the bland look of 2K24 (compared to 2K23) is far more visually consequential than adjusting the resolution. I almost wonder if someone important is irrationally hung up on "4K" as a buzzword and that the series is chained to it until that person finds a new thing to get irrationally fixated upon.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »