Home

Inside 2Ks Journey To The Top Of Sports Gaming

This is a discussion on Inside 2Ks Journey To The Top Of Sports Gaming within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 09-30-2023, 07:27 AM   #1
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

OVR: 0
Inside 2Ks Journey To The Top Of Sports Gaming

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-sports-gaming

It's a few years old but man its fascinating. I never knew those head scans were 10,000 a pop, or that EA attempted to buy 2K back in the early 2000s.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-30-2023, 10:04 PM   #2
MVP

simbayless's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Inside 2Ks Journey To The Top Of Sports Gaming

Of course EA tried to buy 2k
They hate having to work hard to compete 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Old 10-03-2023, 05:31 AM   #3
MVP

King Gro23's Arena

OVR: 21

Really enjoyed reading that. Gave great detail and perspective into the saga between EA & 2k.

2k always wanted to prove it makes a great game.

EA has always just had the financial backing.

A few lines literally sum up 2005-2023
“12 month iterations are like changing a cars oil”

And then the attention to detail on animated body language “if there’s a moment missed where the user is like, why is the guy screaming. Then we already lost”

2k cares and EA literally has nobody with the integrity to give a crap lol

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Suscribe on Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/user/GleezyBaby43
Gleezybaby43
Old 10-03-2023, 05:41 AM   #4
MVP

zello144's Arena

Do wish the article could have mentioned why NHL 2K and MLB 2K aren't around anymore.
Old 10-03-2023, 10:37 AM   #5
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

I just think it's wild how it was Mike Wang doing mocapfor 2K7 and that he, as far as I know, started the whole Signature Style stuff we see in all the sports games now.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-03-2023, 11:33 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 3

This is awesome read.

I remember the early 2000s when Live and Madden were kicking butt.. Im talking soundtracks and special songs remixed JUST for the games.. and 2k was like that lowkey game that was decent.

Back in them days, games cost $49.99 ($54 with tax) and there were numerous NBA games out and 2k did a way with that with the 20 dollar hollas... man, I remember thinking "This game cheap as hell and its dope without the dunk contest!" because at that time Live came out with the All Star Weekend.

I hope all this younger cats on here can read up on this just to understand and have a bit of appreciation. 2K could be gone, but its still here.

Appreciate what you have, tables do turn
Old 10-03-2023, 04:35 PM   #7
MVP

zello144's Arena

Take Two got lucky when they bought them from Sega. 2K/Take Two those names they go hand in hand and someone suggested renaming them.
Old 10-03-2023, 07:11 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

Good read.

I'm old enough to remember most of those times pretty well. First 2K I ever owned was NBA 2K2. My friend and I made the move after years of NBA Live because NBA Live's commitment to authenticity appeared tenuous. We rented Live '02 and I remember being so off-put with the way the entire backboard would violently shake after every dunk.

After that, we finally went in for the game I'd been intrigued by for a few years by then, since seeing how real it looked in magazine advertisements and on television.

2K3 was amazing, 2K4 (aka ESPN NBA Basketball 2004) was a bit of a mess, as it seemed 2K sort of abandoned the authenticity I loved in order to try to ride Live's coattails, the latter of which had experienced success with a more arcade approach (and their Freestyle controls). I remember blocked shots on 2K4 having contrails. And things like this would suddenly happen.

Meanwhile, this was probably the craziest moment I lived through in sports gaming history...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleacher Report
Visual Concepts knew it had to do something to shake up the market. At the time, new titles typically sold for around $50. So when it came time to release NFL 2K5, the company decided to undercut Madden's price point, selling its game for only $19.99. The gambit worked, boosting sales and forcing EA to drop Madden NFL 2005's price to $29.99.
There was so much anticipation behind NFL 2K5. And then, not only did they drop its price to $19.99 out of nowhere, but they released the game weeks early. It was sheer madness, and it was amazing (all 2K sports games sold for $19.99 that year).

The word back then was that EA was going to try to go after exclusive basketball rights following the NFL move, but I'm grateful that never happened. NFL 2K5 remains the last football game I've owned.

It's been interesting to see 2K's growth over the years. I accepted long ago that they'd always be No. 2 to NBA Live. So to see that 2K supplanted and eliminated Live years ago is still pretty wild to me. A part of me misses 2K being the underdog - the indie tracks, the grass roots vibe to it all. But they've done a lot of good with their clout too, so I'll take it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »