Home

2K24 Magic vs. Bird Era Roster Project - Complete, Accurate 1983-84 Roster

This is a discussion on 2K24 Magic vs. Bird Era Roster Project - Complete, Accurate 1983-84 Roster within the NBA 2K Basketball Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Rosters
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 09-25-2023, 12:52 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
2K24 Magic vs. Bird Era Roster Project - Complete, Accurate 1983-84 Roster

I'm working on doing a complete and accurate 1983-84 roster for the Magic vs. Bird Era on 2K24. This won't be just base faces with hair changed or CAPs with random tendencies or imported from some player already in the game. The goal here is to get this roster as close to the real thing as possible. I grew up watching these guys play but this project still involves researching information on players, locating photos, watching videos of their play, and testing. I don't have a time estimate yet. I've been focusing first on making CAPs for the missing players. I'll have a better idea of the timeline soon as I get deeper into the project. I previously worked on a custom 1984-85 roster before we had Eras and that was about 3/4 done, so that gave me a good starting point because there is a lot of overlap. I will periodically update my progress. The project will include:
  • Full, complete 83-84 rosters with full custom CAPS for any missing players (including free agents).
  • Accurate info, jersey numbers, shoes and gear for all players (or as close as we can get with the 2K options)
  • Custom signature style and tendency edits for all players including custom jump shots for those that need updating
  • Missing coaches and updates to all line-ups and rotations based on the full roster, as well as playbook updates
  • Each team will have 14 players to keep teams from signing free-agents at the start of a franchise. Players will be on the teams where they played for the bulk of the season. To get to 14 players, if needed, I will add guys who were waived by the team during the season or players they drafted but cut.
UPDATE -
  • Work-in-progess roster on 2KShare under Jim_G22 and called "1983-84 Roster (In Progess)"
  • Finished teams (Sixers, Celtics, Lakers, Rockets, Pistons, Blazers, Jazz)
  • Missing head coaches added
  • Body types fixed where possible for default players
  • Full CAPs finished for several missing players on other teams (Orlando Woolridge, Quintin Dailey, Wallace Bryant, Mitchell Wiggins, Ronnie Lester, Jawann Oldham, Greg Ballard, Terry Tyler, Mike Mitchell, Dan Roundfield, Mickey Johnson, Lewis Lloyd, Phil Ford, James Bailey, Jeff Wilkins, J.J. Anderson, Ray Williams, Louis Orr, Mark Landsberger, Kelvin Ransey, Mark McNamara)
Working on: Bucks. I wll keep updating the in-progress roster as more is completed.

Last edited by jimbo3772; 11-27-2023 at 04:17 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-25-2023, 12:53 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: 2K24 Magic vs. Bird Era Roster Project - Complete, Accurate 1983-84 Roster

Here is a teaser video with some of the work and testing I've been doing so far including missing players such as Andrew Toney, Sedale Threatt, Orlando Wooldridge, Quintin Dailey, Mike Mitchell, Lewis Lloyd, Dan Roundfield, Greg Ballard, Terry Tyler, Mickey Johnson, and Phil Ford. The 2K footage in the video is all from CPU vs. CPU action and you can see from the real-life clips that the guys are really playing like they should be. More updates to come soon.

Last edited by jimbo3772; 09-25-2023 at 12:56 PM.
Old 09-25-2023, 04:36 PM   #3
MVP

Teleo's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo3772
I'm working on doing a complete and accurate 1983-84 roster for the Magic vs. Bird Era on 2K24. This won't be just base faces with hair changed or CAPs with random tendencies or imported from some player already in the game. The goal here is to get this roster as close to the real thing as possible. I grew up watching these guys play but this project still involves researching information on players, locating photos, watching videos of their play, and testing. I don't have a time estimate yet. I've been focusing first on making CAPs for the missing players. I'll have a better idea of the timeline soon as I get deeper into the project. I previously worked on a custom 1984-85 roster before we had Eras and that was about 3/4 done, so that gave me a good starting point because there is a lot of overlap. I will periodically update my progress. The project will include:
  • Full, complete opening day 83-84 rosters with full custom CAPS for any missing players (including free agents)
  • Accurate info, jersey numbers, shoes and gear for all players (or as close as we can get with the 2K options)
  • Custom signature style and tendency edits for all players including custom jump shots for those that need updating
  • Missing coaches and updates to all line-ups and rotations based on the full roster, as well as playbook updates if needed
LET’S GO!!!!
Old 09-26-2023, 08:14 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleo
LET’S GO!!!!

I hear ya, I pumped for this roster too! In addition to the completed CAPs in the video (Andrew Toney, Sedale Threatt, Orlando Woolridge, Quintin Dailey, Mike Mitchell, Lewis Lloyd, Dan Roundfield, Greg Ballard, Marques Johnson, Terry Tyler, and Phil Ford), the following additional guys missing from the 1983-84 roster are now done as well: Ray Williams, Mitchell Wiggins, Louis Orr, Kelvin Ransey, James Bailey and Carlos Clark. Making the most important missing players first and the guys who can fill out teams with the least number of missing players. That way I can get some game testing going along the way.
Old 09-30-2023, 03:20 PM   #5
MVP

StormsWarning's Arena

OVR: 9

This is amazing work...

It looks like you did an outstanding job. Where extremely fortunate to have creators like you and mj in the community who are willing to give up so much of your time to do something of this magnitude.

After the holidays if I get 2k24 i sure would like to see how this plays.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-30-2023, 05:08 PM   #6
MVP

Teleo's Arena

Is this roster complete or still a work in progress?
Old 09-30-2023, 07:40 PM   #7
Rookie

Thks man, I’m following you on YouTube waiting for next stuff 🙌🙌
Old 10-02-2023, 12:23 AM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormsWarning
This is amazing work...

It looks like you did an outstanding job. Where extremely fortunate to have creators like you and mj in the community who are willing to give up so much of your time to do something of this magnitude.

After the holidays if I get 2k24 i sure would like to see how this plays.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aicarg
Thks man, I’m following you on YouTube waiting for next stuff ����
Thanks guys, much appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleo
Is this roster complete or still a work in progress?
Still a work in progress. Takes a lot of time to do quality CAPs and work out accurate custom jumpshots, tendencies, etc. Here is the most recent batch of missing guys that are done

I fixed the bodies of several default guys and I'm working on specific teams now. I'll probably post a partial roster on 2KShare once I have a decent chunk of teams done.

Last edited by jimbo3772; 10-02-2023 at 11:10 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Rosters »