Home

Injured players counting again 53 man roster

This is a discussion on Injured players counting again 53 man roster within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 08-29-2023, 09:32 PM   #1
MVP

icicle22's Arena

OVR: 7
Injured players counting again 53 man roster

I am trying to get my Browns franchise setup. I started the franchise with existing injuries so I have 3 player that are out for the year. I just finished preseason week 3 and I am tweaking my roster to match the real roster as of today.

What do I with these guys who are hurt, but I cannot cut, and cannot seem to move to the IR? Am I missing something? If not, they are literally dead weight taking up roster spots all year long.

Let me know if this is something obvious that I am missing here. Thanks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2023, 09:47 PM   #2
Five Becomes Four

Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: Injured players counting again 53 man roster

As far as I can tell, the game has already handled this for you.

If you started your franchise with the latest roster update, the three Browns players with pre-existing injuries (WR Jakeem Grant, WR Michael Woods, MLB Jacob Phillips) are already on Injured Reserve. You don't have the option to IR them because they are already IR'd for you. This information is displayed in the Injury Report screen.

Additionally, when I start a Browns franchise with this roster update, I count that the Browns have 74 players on the roster in the View Roster UI, but the game (correctly) only counts 71 active players in the roster count in the upper right-hand corner; the three already on IR don't count, which is correct. In Preseason Week 4, the game prompts me to cut 18 players, which is only correct if the game thinks I have 71 active players (71 - 18 = 53).

Last edited by Hooe; 08-29-2023 at 09:49 PM.
Old 08-29-2023, 11:19 PM   #3
MVP

icicle22's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
As far as I can tell, the game has already handled this for you.

If you started your franchise with the latest roster update, the three Browns players with pre-existing injuries (WR Jakeem Grant, WR Michael Woods, MLB Jacob Phillips) are already on Injured Reserve. You don't have the option to IR them because they are already IR'd for you.

Additionally, when I start a Browns franchise with this roster update, I count that the Browns have 74 players on the roster in the View Roster UI, but the game (correctly) only counts 71 active players in the roster count in the upper right-hand corner; the three already on IR don't count, which is correct. In Preseason Week 4, the game prompts me to cut 18 players, which is only correct if the game thinks I have 71 active players (71 - 18 = 53).
Jakeem Grant wasn't injured when I got the roster. Still, Jacob Phillips is listed in my roster under linebackers. When I got to week 4 of preseason (I didn't realize that Madden 24 treats this like a bye week and that's when they make you cut down, Woods is no longer injured and I was able to move him to my practice squad to free up on of the 4 remaining slots that I needed to cut.

I just manually counted how many players are on my team in the roster page and there are 54. But I am at 53 so even though IR players show up on your roster, I guess they don't count against the 53 man limit.

Good to know. So what do I do with Jakeem Grant? I wish you could manually injure players like on MLB the Show.
Old 08-30-2023, 09:16 AM   #4
Rookie

BIGBLUEFAN2023's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by icicle22
Jakeem Grant wasn't injured when I got the roster. Still, Jacob Phillips is listed in my roster under linebackers. When I got to week 4 of preseason (I didn't realize that Madden 24 treats this like a bye week and that's when they make you cut down, Woods is no longer injured and I was able to move him to my practice squad to free up on of the 4 remaining slots that I needed to cut.

I just manually counted how many players are on my team in the roster page and there are 54. But I am at 53 so even though IR players show up on your roster, I guess they don't count against the 53 man limit.

Good to know. So what do I do with Jakeem Grant? I wish you could manually injure players like on MLB the Show.
Unfortunately, it is impossible to set rosters in Madden to perfectly match Opening Week 53 man rosters. There are always players going on IR late that aren't set with the Week One roster, as well as players on PUP that the game has no designation for. Add to that, the practice squads are not up to date with only 12 slots and players having to meet the old criteria. Personally, I'm not going to die on that hill this year. I'm just going to set it as close to real life and roll with it.
Old 08-30-2023, 11:44 AM   #5
MVP

OVR: 1

Yup, it's almost impossible to get the roster 100% accurate because teams make so many changes and often do it late on Thursdays and Fridays.

When I start my main franchise, I just hope to have the correct guys on IR.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-30-2023, 01:44 PM   #6
MVP

icicle22's Arena

So.....does Madden allow you to bring back a player who is on IR after so many weeks if he is healed? Say I have someone who will be injured for 8 weeks. If I put him on IR, will I be able to bring him back when his injury is healed?
Old 08-30-2023, 04:47 PM   #7
Five Becomes Four

Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by icicle22
So.....does Madden allow you to bring back a player who is on IR after so many weeks if he is healed? Say I have someone who will be injured for 8 weeks. If I put him on IR, will I be able to bring him back when his injury is healed?
Madden still uses the pre-COVID rules for Injured Reserve. So yes, you are able to return a player from IR provided:

- you placed him on IR during the regular season (not the preseason; so any player with a pre-existing injury and was IR'd automatically on that account cannot return)
- the player you wish to return has stayed on IR for eight weeks
- you have not already returned two players from IR during the current season
- you have an open spot on your roster (this is a Madden-specific requirement)
Old 08-30-2023, 04:49 PM   #8
All Star

UFCMPunk's Arena

OVR: 0

The day we get Manual Injuries added to Franchise and we can add or remove injuries ourselves to make accurate rosters will be a great one. Most of the time, if I know a player is out for the year I release them into free agency or if possible put them on the Practice Squad.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »