Home

Menu Optimization (Franchise)

This is a discussion on Menu Optimization (Franchise) within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 08-16-2023, 09:02 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 5
Menu Optimization (Franchise)

Playing on Series X, which I can restart the console and be back running in seconds. I can load games and start playing them within seconds.

Which I why I don’t understand how navigating menus in franchise mode feels so laggy. Even switching categories (overview, attributes, etc) within a player page takes a moment for info to load.

I play/try out a ton of different games across all genres and within the current gen, Madden is the only one where navigating menus feels sluggish. On the sports side, FIFA doesn’t feel that way. The Show doesn’t. 2K doesn’t. NHL doesn’t.

Or perhaps considering I’ve played the franchise since the beginning, I’ve finally reached “old man yells at cloud” status. 😉
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2023, 10:01 PM   #2
MVP

PhillyPhanatic14's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Menu Optimization (Franchise)

It straight up SUCKS. I have tried cloud cfm, offline cfm, mut, superstar... it's all delayed and laggy. It makes me feel stuck in mud. It takes longer to get from one menu to the next than it does to quick resume into a game i wasn't even playing.

Seen people talk about this on PC as well. It's a major issue that's not just affecting us on the Series X. I feel like half of my trial hours are going to waiting for menus to load.
Old 08-16-2023, 10:06 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhanatic14
It straight up SUCKS. I have tried cloud cfm, offline cfm, mut, superstar... it's all delayed and laggy. It makes me feel stuck in mud. It takes longer to get from one menu to the next than it does to quick resume into a game i wasn't even playing.

I think it partly has to do with the auto/save feature. But this “stuck in mud” feeling of menu navigation has been in the game for years. I wondered if they felt like it made the game “cool” by having “animations” between screens.

But in reality I think it may just be old code that can’t keep up with the modern day graphics and information. I have absolutely no expertise so I’m probably wrong, but that’s what makes sense in my head.

They can’t possibly think it improves the experience and you’d have to think enough people have complained and enough people working on the game have noticed it that they would fix it if they (easily) could.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 08-16-2023, 10:08 PM   #4
MVP

PhillyPhanatic14's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotter
I think it partly has to do with the auto/save feature. But this “stuck in mud” feeling of menu navigation has been in the game for years. I wondered if they felt like it made the game “cool” by having “animations” between screens.

But in reality I think it may just be old code that can’t keep up with the modern day graphics and information. I have absolutely no expertise so I’m probably wrong, but that’s what makes sense in my head.

They can’t possibly think it improves the experience and you’d have to think enough people have complained and enough people working on the game have noticed it that they would fix it if they (easily) could.

Madden has never had the snappy-est menus, but this year is just terrible. Things like this and the weird stuttering after plays and TDs just blows my mind. Like you said - how did nobody at EA notice this?
Old 08-16-2023, 10:17 PM   #5
Rookie

Chubz's Arena

OVR: 1

Heck, it isn't just Franchise mode. Go to Play Now, choose your teams, and then try picking your Offensive and Defensive game plans... It feels like it takes a good ~2 seconds for each choice to even register. The worst part is, there's no indication the game is even processing your choice (no "loading" icon or anything; just a button press that goes completely unignored for well over a second). It feels borderline broken at times.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2023, 10:26 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 4

It’s terrible. Unacceptable. Feels like they’re just kicking the can
Old 08-16-2023, 11:16 PM   #7
@HoundsOfHowl

HoundsOfHowl's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotter

You know how when you have a real crappy computer, and you open too many things at once? That’s maddens code for you.

Heck I’ve even been having lag in the final two minutes of games, every game, it’s like once we get to the two minute warning, frame rates drop bad. (Solo cfm)
Old 08-16-2023, 11:32 PM   #8
Rookie

ClassActFan's Arena

OVR: 4

I feel like Madden has always had slow, rigid menus. I've commented before regarding how snappy and quick NBA 2K's menus are, and it seems like such complaints always fell on deaf ears. I'm really glad more people are talking about the slow menus this year, from this thread to comments I've read on Reddit.

I hope it's something EA will fix for Madden '25. Maybe they'll label it as a new feature. Totally joking! I promise. Just being silly and adding slight comic relief given EA's notorious track record of decisions. Best case scenario, it would be nice if they could make the menus faster for '24. I know absolutely nothing about video game development, so maybe they can't, but it seems like they would have made the menus faster over the years. To me, it has always felt like an absolute slog, and with other games being so efficient and smooth, Madden's menu infrastructure sticks out like a sore thumb!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »