Home

OK, question: Ratings related.

This is a discussion on OK, question: Ratings related. within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 07-01-2023, 02:46 PM   #1
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43
OK, question: Ratings related.

I should have asked when I was there, but I'm curious.

99. Does that apply the best best, or the best right now?

Lets take accuracy. IMHO, two players in NFL history deserve 99 throwing accuracy: Montana and Brees. Nobody else.

But some would say the best in the league right now, whoever that is, deserves 99 throwing accuracy.

What do you think?

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-01-2023, 03:09 PM   #2
MVP

IlluminatusUIUC's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: OK, question: Ratings related.

Pegging the rating limit to historical players is pretty difficult to manage IMO. Maybe you could do so for something which is measurable like speed, but once you get into intangibles then you're all over the place. How do you meaningfully compare Mahomes' awareness to Peyton Manning, Dan Marino, Unitas, etc?
Old 07-01-2023, 04:14 PM   #3
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlluminatusUIUC
Pegging the rating limit to historical players is pretty difficult to manage IMO. Maybe you could do so for something which is measurable like speed, but once you get into intangibles then you're all over the place. How do you meaningfully compare Mahomes' awareness to Peyton Manning, Dan Marino, Unitas, etc?
AWR is unfortunately the rating left behind. They've made strides in opening things up; zone coverage vs. man, deep accuracy vs. short, all that. AWR is still just too generic. You're not wrong, but I think the system needs fixing, I don't think it's impossible to compare.

I think you simply always judge by, "If this guy was as good in this era as he was in his." That's the right way to go about it. No, Babe Ruth would not be as good dropped directly into this era, but if he had access to the same coaching and training we had today? His talent might have still made him one of the best. I prefer to look at it that way, but make some accounting for all-time rank. Montana and Brees are, imo, the most accurate QBs of all time in any era, and deserve that respect. That said, I wonder about eras... you really gonna tell me anyone today can fling it like Jeff George? Certainly not one of the great QBs, but I saw him make throws Mahomes might be challenged to match.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 07-01-2023, 05:05 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

I've always been a believer that a 99 should be best of all time, but I think it's pretty clear with how Madden rates their players each year that a 99 in EA's eyes is a current best.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

― Plato
Old 07-01-2023, 05:17 PM   #5
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
I should have asked when I was there, but I'm curious.

99. Does that apply the best best, or the best right now?

Lets take accuracy. IMHO, two players in NFL history deserve 99 throwing accuracy: Montana and Brees. Nobody else.

But some would say the best in the league right now, whoever that is deserves 99 throwing accuracy.

What do you think?
There is no "whoever that is"...it's Mahomes.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-01-2023, 05:41 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
I wonder about eras... you really gonna tell me anyone today can fling it like Jeff George?
I think a random like Joe Milton can fling it like Jeff George, so yes.

I do think this can lead to an interesting discussion, but era vs era is like arguing religion.

To your question, I think Madden ratings are era-relative. So like whether Josh Allen or whoever scientifically has a much bigger arm than Dan Marino, Marino gets 99 THP regardless. Or to your Babe Ruth example, yeah, dude gets 99 PWR, it's Babe f'n Ruth, how he would perform today is irrelevant.

So I guess my answer to your OP question is “it’s both.”

Last edited by Detroit Tigers; 07-01-2023 at 07:52 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 07-01-2023, 08:39 PM   #7
Nothing to see here folks

oneamongthefence's Arena

OVR: 22

I think In terms of Madden that's where stretched out ratings can help differentiate different players. 90% of qbs in Madden have between 85 and 99 throw power. But Even then there's so many different factors that Madden doesn't account for. Arm mechanics, footwork, pass velocity vs distance etc. And the game evolved so much since it's inception that it's impossible to truly say who is a true 99 in any category. The bar is constantly being reset but I think it should be based on how they compare to their peers and not all time.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
Old 07-01-2023, 10:08 PM   #8
Rookie

Spudbox65's Arena

OVR: 0

Personally, I would think in terms of all-time, but I would make the greatest all-time for any particular rating a 98, that way there is room for improvement within franchise mode.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »