Home

Brian Hayes, EA UFC creative director, departs from EA after 22 years

This is a discussion on Brian Hayes, EA UFC creative director, departs from EA after 22 years within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 06-10-2023, 02:18 AM   #1
Pro

TheUFCVeteran's Arena

OVR: 0
Brian Hayes, EA UFC creative director, departs from EA after 22 years

Reddit post I where I saw this: https://old.reddit.com/r/EASportsUFC...of_the_ea_ufc/

I imagine he left near the end of development, meaning the creative side of the game is set. Didn’t always agree with his direction, but he’s put a lot of work in for the series and other games he’s worked on. Big respect.

Last edited by TheUFCVeteran; 06-10-2023 at 02:21 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-19-2023, 08:35 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: Brian Hayes, EA UFC creative director, departs from EA after 22 years

****ing incredible so much change was needed. I always knew he's a bad influence on series.. I still remember him saying a few years ago that he chose to make UFC 1, 2 and 3 in 30fps over 60fps because it looks better that way.......
Old 06-28-2023, 12:15 PM   #3
MVP

Therebelyell626's Arena

I always felt he was the wrong guy to spearhead a game like this. Every year the game is so online comp driven, and there is literally zero replay value for single player offline. Plus he was always super defensive. One time I asked him a legitimate question something in the park of “why are all of the EA UFC games so striking heavy? It feels like it’s a boxing game that you guys HAD to add grappling into. Are there any discussions on maybe focusing more towards the ground game for future iterations”? He just responded with “you don’t know what you’re talking about. We are all passionate about jiu jitsu….. blah blah blah”
Old 06-29-2023, 11:39 AM   #4
MVP

Yaari's Arena

Enjoy the franchise but never liked the direction they took with any of the games. Feel like there was much more to be done, never got the feeling that the big Fight Night veterans were behind the game.

Not like this means anything for whatever happens to the franchise next, just wanted to throw it out there.

Respect for Hayes for keeping it up that long, but not a fan of his decisions in the last 10 years.
Old 06-29-2023, 02:55 PM   #5
MVP

Talking Re: Brian Hayes, EA UFC creative director, departs from EA after 22 years

Finally, we're not gonna meet that ugly fortnite CAF in online ranked.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-29-2023, 03:51 PM   #6
Rookie

Honestly....good fking riddance. I've played thousands of hours on every iteration under this guy's terrible leadership.

He failed to even once deliver on a MMA sim. This floaty, cartoony, mess of game should have been changed long ago. Fk fortnite UFC...bring on the real deal sim.
Old 06-29-2023, 04:00 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaari
Enjoy the franchise but never liked the direction they took with any of the games. Feel like there was much more to be done, never got the feeling that the big Fight Night veterans were behind the game.

Not like this means anything for whatever happens to the franchise next, just wanted to throw it out there.

Respect for Hayes for keeping it up that long, but not a fan of his decisions in the last 10 years.
I think the franchise was evolving pretty good until UFC 4 released. The first two games were basic enjoyable experiences and stepping stones for the next games. UFC 3 has the best striking we've ever seen in any fighting game so far with very few issues here and there. And then UFC 4 released , easily the most unbalanced and glitchiest game in the series.
Old 07-01-2023, 04:42 AM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro_Guap
He failed to even once deliver on a MMA sim. This floaty, cartoony, mess of game should have been changed long ago. Fk fortnite UFC...bring on the real deal sim.

Take into account that he's not the final boss. EA will determine the boundaries in which he makes his game. And that might include instruction on the silly crap we ended up getting. Might not have a choice, as any sane person would've come to the conclusion to cut it. So it must've been some higher-up.

Hopefully, with EA Sports becoming its own company, we will see less of this.

And yes: EAUFC3 was in fact a very good game that evolve a LOT since the first game, but I guess this is subjective.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »