Home

MLB The Show 20 vs. 23

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 20 vs. 23 within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 04-26-2023, 02:46 PM   #1
Pro

drj32's Arena

OVR: 8
MLB The Show 20 vs. 23

Wondering if I'm the only one still playing the show 20?
I Pretty much exclusively play franchise with 1970s or 1980s rosters.

Just wondering if it's really worth getting the new version. Graphically, I don't see that much of a difference but what about gameplay wise? What's different For a franchise?
Thanks

Last edited by drj32; 04-26-2023 at 02:51 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-26-2023, 03:06 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: MLB The Show 20 vs. 23

What system are you playing on?
Old 04-26-2023, 04:11 PM   #3
Rookie

I'm still playing The Show 20 on PS4. I'm in Year 8 of a franchise I started on The Show 18.

I don't have a next gen console, so still enjoying this franchise I built. Until my PS4 dies or The Show comes to PC or brings back Y2Y saves. I'm perfectly good, continuing playing my franchise.
Old 04-26-2023, 04:11 PM   #4
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

I never played 20 but I keep hearing the hitting felt amazing. Can someone break this down for me?

My favorite baseball games were MVP 05 and High Heat 04. I don't know if that informs what you might say to sell me on The Show 20, but maybe it'll help.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 04-26-2023, 04:18 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
I never played 20 but I keep hearing the hitting felt amazing. Can someone break this down for me?

My favorite baseball games were MVP 05 and High Heat 04. I don't know if that informs what you might say to sell me on The Show 20, but maybe it'll help.
I use Directional Hitting. And The different type of swings Power, Normal, Contact have all different types of hits. I still see different types of hits on a daily basis.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-26-2023, 04:33 PM   #6
MVP

DarthRambo's Arena

OVR: 20

The hitting, cpu and user has been pretty much the same for years and years now. Biggest improvements that are very noticeable from 2020 is the fielding. The animations are far better and just plays smooth and looks like a baseball game. Not to say 2020 doesn't however.

Biggest reason to get 2023 is the schedule and playoff format. Oh and the scouting/draft process is so good. Presentation is far better now too. But gameplay wise you're not gonna see much difference than what I said above. All my opinion of course.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

https://www.youtube.com/DarthRambo

Last edited by DarthRambo; 04-26-2023 at 04:37 PM.
Old 04-26-2023, 04:40 PM   #7
Rookie

I would def NOT get MLB23 right now for a last gen console. I have it for PS4 and only play offline and the framerate is so bad & inconsistent I’m about ready to start playing MLB22 again. I personally liked last years draft format better as well for multiple reasons. The only reason I really wanted 23 was bc of the schedule format. If you are having fun w/ MLB20 & have your sliders perfected I would stick with it.
Old 04-26-2023, 06:45 PM   #8
Rookie

I just updated from 20 to 23 (on PS4) last week. There are a few notable improvements that convinced me personally to get the new game. The player editing/creating has gotten some improvements that allow for more realistic looking players. As someone who makes my own way-too-detailed fictional rosters to play with that was a big deal, but you probably don't care much about that lol. Along those lines, the graphics/lighting are a little better, but not a super noticeable difference. Seeing some cool new cutscenes is nice though, and the network presentations are really good. Gameplay-wise, hitting feels about the same level but there is a much better variety of defensive animations and they look more realistic as well. I had really gotten sick of the defensive animations in 20. There are new commentators too, but I was one of the few that still preferred Matty V. Boog Schiambi did a solid job, but I will probably mute commentary at some point. For franchise mode the biggest difference is probably the revamped draft, it is nice to have but I wouldn't say it is reason alone to switch to 23.

There are framerate slow downs, but I really only get them during some batter walk-up cutscenes, and that is despite playing on a regular old PS4, not the Pro which supposedly performs better. Others seem to have had more issues than what I have encountered so far, maybe I just haven't played enough yet or it is from digital download vs. playing off the disc (I have the digital edition). Overall I would say 23 is at least on par with 20, with some visual and presentation freshness at the cost of potential performance issues from time to time.

Last edited by rick diesel; 04-26-2023 at 06:53 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »