Home

Old 04-13-2023, 02:15 AM   #1
Pro

pokerlife's Arena

OVR: 7
Repeating

"If you thought that wasn’t enough, the team has also recorded hundreds of hours of commentator dialog with certain lines being incredibly rare, scenario-specific events that you may never encounter!"

Anyone else starting to feel like this is untrue? I'm a little over 30 hours into career and halfway through the season and i hear the same commentary every tournament.. Sure, there are a few things different based on your starting and finishing posting but the core commentary is a little weak.

Whenever i hit a shot to 20ft i hear about three different lines that might cycle. I hear the same line every time from Frank when i stick it to 8 or 9ft. He says let me get my tape measure out.

I feel like all of their work went into the hole flyovers before each hole, which i love and keep on. Just wish there was more core commentary to what was happening on the course.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-13-2023, 04:41 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Repeating

What I have heard of the commentary impresses me a lot, much better than in any other golf game. The way they refer to the way you have played other holes in the round (and your play in other tournaments apparently) is very immersive. The voices sound more natural in my limited experience and not the usual wooden tones of someone reading from a script. Repetitive? Well, that's inevitable, isn't it, unless an unrealistic thousands of hours is included. I give EA a lot of credit in the sound department generally.
Old 04-13-2023, 05:00 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerlife
I'm a little over 30 hours into career and halfway through the season and i hear the same commentary every tournament.
Yesterday during a tourney, I heard the same entire conversation lasting a good 30 seconds, on back-to-back holes. That said, I usually shut off the commentary anyway. I haven't had commentary on in FIFA in years, it's goofy listening to the exact same club/player/stadium commentary over and over. I don't understand why games even started doing that because of course it's going to get monotonous... like after two games!

In the past I've spent dozens hours creating generic commentary scripts in games like Links 2003 and Tiger Woods 08. "Beautiful drive." "It's in the rough." "Looks to be 120 yards to the pin." That sort of thing, that's the kind of commentary I can listen to all day long.

In this year's TW Pro Tour, I already permanently shut off the crowd sounds, days ago. And this morning I played a round with the commentary shut off, and it was quietly and peacefully very enjoyable. I will say though the commentary in this game does add a lot to career mode so I will no doubt turn it on/off depending on how I feel.
Old 04-13-2023, 05:03 AM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinger
The voices sound more natural in my limited experience and not the usual wooden tones of someone reading from a script.
Great point, that's the best part of it for sure.
Old 04-13-2023, 05:54 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 2

I am well over 100 hours in.

Do I hear repeats? Yep

Do I sometimes hear wrong analysis? ("He left that one short" when I actually went long) Yep

Am I still hearing new lines 100 hours in? Yep

It is my personal belief that between the contextual lines, 4 person crew for variety, and the sheer number/kind of lines that this is the best broadcasting I have ever heard in a golf game. Am I just being forgetful? Can someone point me to one that is better than this?

And for me, the ultimate test was to turn the commentary off. The game felt a lot more dull and lifeless without it on. Commentary is otal keeper for me. Maybe I will feel different at the 500 hour mark?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-13-2023, 09:51 AM   #6
Pro

pokerlife's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucie
Yesterday during a tourney, I heard the same entire conversation lasting a good 30 seconds, on back-to-back holes. That said, I usually shut off the commentary anyway. I haven't had commentary on in FIFA in years, it's goofy listening to the exact same club/player/stadium commentary over and over. I don't understand why games even started doing that because of course it's going to get monotonous... like after two games!

In the past I've spent dozens hours creating generic commentary scripts in games like Links 2003 and Tiger Woods 08. "Beautiful drive." "It's in the rough." "Looks to be 120 yards to the pin." That sort of thing, that's the kind of commentary I can listen to all day long.

In this year's TW Pro Tour, I already permanently shut off the crowd sounds, days ago. And this morning I played a round with the commentary shut off, and it was quietly and peacefully very enjoyable. I will say though the commentary in this game does add a lot to career mode so I will no doubt turn it on/off depending on how I feel.

Anyway we can add to the commentary in this game like you did on others? I love the commentary for the most part, i just keep hearing the same two or three lines on every drive and approach to the green.

After a drive in the fairway or a shot that lands safely on the green i 100% know i will hear one of three lines . Is my game bugged perhaps?
Old 04-13-2023, 10:05 AM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerlife
Anyway we can add to the commentary in this game like you did on others? I love the commentary for the most part, i just keep hearing the same two or three lines on every drive and approach to the green.
TW 08 was the last EA game that allowed free access to the sound files. The Frosty tools might allow it for PGA Tour, but I haven't used any of the next-gen editing tools other than a bit of fiddling around with FIFA 18.

I expect to hear repeated lines like "Safely on the green" and such. It's the extended story-telling conversation exchanges between commentators that I personally would like to shut off. How many times do we need to hear how Notah played that par 5 hole, 20 years ago?
Old 04-13-2023, 10:36 AM   #8
MVP

jbd345's Arena

OVR: 4

I’ve already turned the commentary and hole flyovers/music off. Nothing wrong with it. I just like it being just me and the course. Now if they can add a “save to profile” option to audio settings so I don’t have to do every time, that’d be great.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »