Home

Pick a Historic Team for The Show 23

This is a discussion on Pick a Historic Team for The Show 23 within the MLB The Show Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare
View Poll Results: Which roster sounds most fun?
1988 Full Season 5 26.32%
1999 Full Season 4 21.05%
2003 Full Season 4 21.05%
Greatest Teams Compilation 6 31.58%
Other (specify in comments) 0 0%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-03-2023, 10:30 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Pick a Historic Team for The Show 23

Hey, OS -

It's been a pretty long time since I've dipped into roster editing - the changes of the last few years have been pretty frustrating - but I've got the bug this year thanks to some of the new player additions and the new face creation tool.

I'd like to do a historic roster this year, with as much detail as I can muster with regard to ratings, appearance, salaries, equipment, and the like. Looking for input on what the community would like to see. Here are the options I've been considering:

1988 - Classic 80s roster, gets McGwire into the league.

1999 - Sosa + McGwire, of course, and can be more accurate than earlier-season rosters because I won't have to fill in a bunch of fake teams in Tampa, Arizona, Florida, and Colorado.

2003 - The first year that detailed pitch velocity information is available on Fangraphs, so I could make the pitching ratings even more accurate.

Great Teams Roster - This wouldn't be a particular year, but rather a "greatest hits" roster bringing together the greatest single-season teams of all time.

Would love input on which of these sounds most fun / appealing - I want to get started ASAP!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-03-2023, 11:04 AM   #2
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Pick a Historic Team for The Show 23

I get the point of 1999 being more realistic because by then the leagues had expanded to 30 teams, but I gotta go 1988, because I'm all about that Eighties era being the best because thats what I cut my teeth on.
plus if I can deny LA from winning it all, like they did IRL, well, in my book, thats a plus

A Work in Progress
Old 04-04-2023, 01:14 PM   #3
MVP

Madden08PCgmr's Arena

1988 is the pinnacle of nostalgia for me.

McGwire, Bonds, Maddux, Crime Dog.. Strawberry, Doc Gooden, Rocket, George Bell, Canseco, The Wizard, Tony Gwynn, Kirby Puckett..

TONS of young stars coming up, Junior, Randy Johnson, Smoltz, Glavine, Ruben Sierra, Biggio, Big Hurt, Robin Ventura..

Makes me want to bust out the Sega Genesis.
Old 04-05-2023, 10:28 AM   #4
Rookie

To those who have voted for the 80's roster (I'm almost definitely going to do at least two and possibly all three of the leading options eventually) - how would you like to see the "extra" teams (Tampa Bay, Miami, Arizona, Colorado) handled?
Old 04-05-2023, 03:40 PM   #5
MVP

Madden08PCgmr's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcf250
To those who have voted for the 80's roster (I'm almost definitely going to do at least two and possibly all three of the leading options eventually) - how would you like to see the "extra" teams (Tampa Bay, Miami, Arizona, Colorado) handled?
I HATE when they're punching bags you constantly beat 15-1.

I typically copied teams like the Brewers (Tampa, AL East) and Pirates (Miami, NL East) and made them generics.

That is the clear advantage of starting in 1998.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-09-2023, 06:30 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 1

i like all the ideas and im started working a roster set that i would champions last week. going to take time throw.

but what I'm doing is a roster that covers the from 79 to to mid 90's.
each team in that time with a year represented, so it be a year where the team as reached the at least lcs. they don't have to have won it all, just gotten that far if possible. I'm not sure there is a a team in that time that didn't. even with the new schedule the way its setup, its fine for me, but put Houston back in the al as Ari and brewers in tb spot, as. the only thing i have not decided what to with the four teams that doesn't have that have that kind level of team until later. still debating that one.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters »