Home

Auto base running

This is a discussion on Auto base running within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-31-2023, 10:59 PM   #1
MVP

bronxbombers21325's Arena

OVR: 2
Auto base running

Anyone else using auto base running find that runners make some really stupid decisions this year? I get thrown out at third least once or twice a game trying to stretch a double into a triple, that wouldn’t be a triple at any level of baseball. Likewise I just threw someone out at home that blew through third base just as the ball was getting there. He was only about halfway between third and home when I got the ball to the catcher. I feel like we’ve went from being way too cautious last year to being way too aggressive. Why can’t they find a medium on this?
New York Yankees, Pittsburgh Steelers, Kentucky Wildcats, #18 Kyle Busch, #4B Jackie Boggs, #0 Scott Bloomquist
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-31-2023, 11:03 PM   #2
MVP

KnightTemplar's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Auto base running

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronxbombers21325
Anyone else using auto base running find that runners make some really stupid decisions this year? I get thrown out at third least once or twice a game trying to stretch a double into a triple, that wouldn’t be a triple at any level of baseball. Likewise I just threw someone out at home that blew through third base just as the ball was getting there. He was only about halfway between third and home when I got the ball to the catcher. I feel like we’ve went from being way too cautious last year to being way too aggressive. Why can’t they find a medium on this?
Do you know you can override auto baserunning?

I have seen the CPU tag up from 1st base and go to second on a deep drive fly ball into the RF corner, which I’ve never seen before.
Old 04-01-2023, 01:16 AM   #3
MVP

ninertravel's Arena

Not a problem using a and b sliders as lowered speed and fielding speed = less dumb running. but I’m sure the defaults are causing issues
Old 04-01-2023, 11:47 AM   #4
MVP

405Cowboy's Arena

I remember on previous editions of the show I could use R1 to move the runners back. Now on 23 they don't run back on R1. I even tried moving runners back with two outs just to see and it still didn't work. Anyway to make it like it used to be?
Old 04-01-2023, 12:39 PM   #5
Rookie

Very interesting you noticed this, I have a hypothesis. I too use Auto and usually take over runners a lot but it's nice to use auto b/c the bloopers you don't have the correct angle and the auto helps get guys moving.

My hypothesis is the outfielder's run speed has been decreased this year out of the box. I feel like balls in the gaps or get to the wall it's taking outfielders longer to get to the ball just enough to make baserunners think they should take the next base. I feel like last year a ball in the gap or off the wall it was a double or you were barely making it a double and this year by the time you hit the cut-off guy that runner is making a turn at second base. You may want to look at increasing the outfielder's speed a notch or lowering your baserunner's speed. Much easier to get a triple this year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-01-2023, 12:51 PM   #6
MVP

KnightTemplar's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by 405Cowboy
I remember on previous editions of the show I could use R1 to move the runners back. Now on 23 they don't run back on R1. I even tried moving runners back with two outs just to see and it still didn't work. Anyway to make it like it used to be?
R1 definitely works on auto running.

One thing you have to watch for this year is a bunch of guys have 99 speed. Therefore they have a tendency to take an extra step off first base, e.g., AND get picked off, so you can use R1 to have him retreat a step. I’ve had guys round 2nd and if it looked like they were taking a big chance going to 3rd I’d press R1 and they retreat.
Old 04-01-2023, 02:04 PM   #7
"ADAPT OR DIE"

jcar0725's Arena

OVR: 3

I'm on auto baserunning. I haven't seen this too much. Maybe a couple times a game. If nobody ever got thrown out I would think that would be a problem.

My last game I saw a guy stretch to a triple and when he turned second I thought he's dead to rights at third but the throw was off line, safe. I liked the risk.

Sent from my thoughts
Old 04-01-2023, 09:44 PM   #8
MVP

405Cowboy's Arena

I have base running on manual. Previously in the SHOW if there were two outs and I used R1 to move runners back they would. Now in 23 with AUTO running off, if I ruse R1 to move runners back they will but then advance and won't go back if I use R1.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »