Home

Watching early release videos of scouting and the draft

This is a discussion on Watching early release videos of scouting and the draft within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 03-26-2023, 10:39 AM   #1
All Star

OVR: 0
Watching early release videos of scouting and the draft

I see a change but I can't say I see major improvement.

The biggest problem with the draft has been lack of quality players who will progress into good MLB players. Granted it's only 4 or 5 videos but I'm not seeing an improvement. The AI drafted a catcher in the first round with 20's contact vs rhp and 30's contact vs lhp. That guy isn't going to progress into a MLB player unless the progression system has been reworked.

Another thing I see is the removal of the screen where you could sort your prospects by attribute. That's a step backward.

Perhaps when the entire community gets the game things will change but thus far given a choice between this and y2y saves I'd take y2y.
Old 03-26-2023, 11:13 AM   #2
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Watching early release videos of scouting and the draft

the drafting can't truly or fully improve IMO until the rounds are at the very least double from 6 rounds to 12 rounds, though I'd like to see it increase to 15 (combined with adding 10 more roster spots to the Single A team).
it is encouraging to see them try with what they've done with 23, but at the end of the day for me personally it's still lipstick on a pig. and don't get me wrong, I love sausage and bacon as much as anyone. but they were still a little sloppy with the details. for instance, in the Franchise Handbook Significant Dates of Importance they still list the draft as being early June instead of where it is now at the all-star break. and the Handbook also says you have until the season end to sign those draftees. but you don't, you have 4 weeks or you lose those player rights.
I still give the draft a solid B- grade, but there's no reason why the Studio shouldn't aim for an A+ grade.
as for y2y, I wish we still had them but if losing it (hopefully only temporarily) is the only way franchise can significantly improve, then I'll accept it albeit begrudgingly

A Work in Progress

Last edited by Caulfield; 03-26-2023 at 04:05 PM. Reason: 4 weeks not 3
Old 03-26-2023, 11:25 AM   #3
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
I see a change but I can't say I see major improvement.

The biggest problem with the draft has been lack of quality players who will progress into good MLB players. Granted it's only 4 or 5 videos but I'm not seeing an improvement. The AI drafted a catcher in the first round with 20's contact vs rhp and 30's contact vs lhp. That guy isn't going to progress into a MLB player unless the progression system has been reworked.

Another thing I see is the removal of the screen where you could sort your prospects by attribute. That's a step backward.

Perhaps when the entire community gets the game things will change but thus far given a choice between this and y2y saves I'd take y2y.
That is a very short sighted assessment of both that player and the entire draft process as a whole. First, what were his other attributes, mainly his defensive ratings? How old was he?

Second, just because one team may have missed on a first round pick that won't make it to the major league level, doesn't mean that everyone missed in the first round. Nor does it mean that teams missed with later round picks as a new aspect of the draft this year is gems and busts.

I know you're frustrated with the removal of Y2Y saves and the fact that it hasn't returned, but cherry picking things from the biggest feature change to this year's game to validate your opinion/stance, isn't going to cause SDS to change their course in terms of the roadmap they have to expand franchise mode.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 03-26-2023, 12:42 PM   #4
Cleveland Baseball Guru

Funkycorm's Arena

So I can not speak for 23 but draft classes have always needed a bit of editing. It has steadily gone down the last few years as they improve draft class generation.

But, you can't look at just two attributes and make a decision. On top of contact, you have to look at vision, and any defensive attributes. It's a catcher. He isn't going to be hitting .300 average for his career.

Also what was the starting overall, age, and potential?

For the record, draft classes needed to be edited, more so, when y2y was a thing. You can't blame one for the other.

I do not have 23. I have no intention of buying 23 now. Maybe later. So like I said I can not speak about the draft or scouting or anything having to do with 23. But I will say I agree that it needs some sort of sorting from what I saw in the premiere.

In the end though, y2y was removed 3 iterations ago. It's not coming back. The blaming everything else for it being gone seems like it needs to end at this point.

Currently Playing:

Star Wars Jedi Survivor (PS5)
Pokemon Violet (Switch)
Farming Simulator 22 (PC)

Twitch:

Twitch

Dynasties:

None at the moment
Old 03-26-2023, 07:55 PM   #5
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
That is a very short sighted assessment of both that player and the entire draft process as a whole. First, what were his other attributes, mainly his defensive ratings? How old was he?

Second, just because one team may have missed on a first round pick that won't make it to the major league level, doesn't mean that everyone missed in the first round. Nor does it mean that teams missed with later round picks as a new aspect of the draft this year is gems and busts.

I know you're frustrated with the removal of Y2Y saves and the fact that it hasn't returned, but cherry picking things from the biggest feature change to this year's game to validate your opinion/stance, isn't going to cause SDS to change their course in terms of the roadmap they have to expand franchise mode.
The biggest shortcoming with the draft has been the lack of players capable of becoming legitimate MLB level players. It has been that way since the changed from linear to performance based progression. Sounded like a realistic idea but with so few decent prospects being generated they all need to develop in order to have a sustainable franchise.

Just my 2 cents and obviously SDS doesn't care which is fine. It's their game.
Old 03-27-2023, 12:43 AM   #6
Rookie

JWDixon120's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
The biggest shortcoming with the draft has been the lack of players capable of becoming legitimate MLB level players. It has been that way since the changed from linear to performance based progression. Sounded like a realistic idea but with so few decent prospects being generated they all need to develop in order to have a sustainable franchise.

Just my 2 cents and obviously SDS doesn't care which is fine. It's their game.

I feel the complete opposite here tbh.

Every franchise I’ve ever had long term needs Draft Class editing to reduce the potentials. Prospects in this game never flame out. They almost always hit their potential mark.

That + base roster having so many B and A potentials completely shatters any realism.

On ‘23, I’ve done a 15 year sim to test if they adjusted progression or regression (they have not)

In 2023, using the base roster, there are 30 90+ OVR Players

In 2028, there are 60+ 90 OVR players

In 2038, there are 75+ 90 OVR players.

It gets to the point where you have 84 OVR Pitchers still in AAA because rotations are so loaded.

Luckily you can use custom rosters that reduce these potentials to help with this issue, but Draft Classes still must be edited.

It’s unfortunate that they are not Customizable. That feature should have been added years ago.
Old 03-27-2023, 05:03 AM   #7
MVP

DarthRambo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWDixon120
I feel the complete opposite here tbh.

Every franchise I’ve ever had long term needs Draft Class editing to reduce the potentials. Prospects in this game never flame out. They almost always hit their potential mark.

That + base roster having so many B and A potentials completely shatters any realism.

On ‘23, I’ve done a 15 year sim to test if they adjusted progression or regression (they have not)

In 2023, using the base roster, there are 30 90+ OVR Players

In 2028, there are 60+ 90 OVR players

In 2038, there are 75+ 90 OVR players.

It gets to the point where you have 84 OVR Pitchers still in AAA because rotations are so loaded.

Luckily you can use custom rosters that reduce these potentials to help with this issue, but Draft Classes still must be edited.

It’s unfortunate that they are not Customizable. That feature should have been added years ago.
Bummer to hear, but not game breaking at least. So do you just mass edit potentials by a certain amount? How do you know who was drafted once the next season starts and they're on the rosters?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

https://www.youtube.com/DarthRambo
Old 03-27-2023, 08:40 AM   #8
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield
the drafting can't truly or fully improve IMO until the rounds are at the very least double from 6 rounds to 12 rounds, though I'd like to see it increase to 15 (combined with adding 10 more roster spots to the Single A team).
it is encouraging to see them try with what they've done with 23, but at the end of the day for me personally it's still lipstick on a pig. and don't get me wrong, I love sausage and bacon as much as anyone. but they were still a little sloppy with the details. for instance, in the Franchise Handbook Significant Dates of Importance they still list the draft as being early June instead of where it is now at the all-star break. and the Handbook also says you have until the season end to sign those draftees. but you don't, you have 4 weeks or you lose those player rights.
I still give the draft a solid B- grade, but there's no reason why the Studio shouldn't aim for an A+ grade.
as for y2y, I wish we still had them but if losing it (hopefully only temporarily) is the only way franchise can significantly improve, then I'll accept it albeit begrudgingly
I would agree if there was significant improvement but it appears to me we arrive at the same player pool in the draft via a different path. I'll reserve judgment for the moment but change doesn't always equate to significant improvement.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »