Home

MLB 23 Scouting Discussion

This is a discussion on MLB 23 Scouting Discussion within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-25-2023, 10:32 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 6
MLB 23 Scouting Discussion

I’ve only done it once so far and I tried:
#1 Focus - Scout Player
#2 Focus - Scout Region/Position
#3 Focus - Discover Prospects (or whatever it’s called)

When it came time to the draft I was completely in the dark and ended up with a terrible draft (which I kind of liked).

So anyway, that brings me to a question:

What scouting strategy have you tried and did it work?

I’m thinking for my next practice draft I’m going to scout players for all 3 focus positions. It seems like the find prospects option isn’t as useful as it was in previous years.

Either way it definitely requires more planning, which I appreciate. Although like someone in the impressions thread said, I don’t like the screen where you can only see 3 prospects at a time.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-26-2023, 11:15 AM   #2
Pro

Re: MLB 23 Scouting Discussion

Okay so I’ve simmed a couple more seasons where I only scout and draft.

Season 2:
1-Player
2-Player
3-Player

This got me slightly better results, but once the first round was over I pretty much knew nothing about anyone else.

Season 3:
1-Player
2-Scout position
3-Scout position

This has been the best for me so far in terms of knowing a little bit about a greater amount of players. I’m still not dominating drafts like I used to, but at least I felt like I scouted better this time.

Next season I’m going to try:
1-Scout position
2-Scout position
3-Scout position
Until there’s like two weeks left before the draft and then scout players for all 3 spots. I need to be more mindful of where I’m drafting and therefore shouldn’t waste time scouting players that won’t be available by the time I pick.

Another variable which has been fun to consider is their interest level.

If I’m scouting a guy, but his interest is down around 30% there’s not a great chance I’ll be able to sign him so I need to move onto someone else.

Interested to see what strategies other people have used.

Old 03-26-2023, 01:18 PM   #3
It Appears I Blue Myself

CBoller1331's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotter
Okay so I’ve simmed a couple more seasons where I only scout and draft.

Season 2:
1-Player
2-Player
3-Player

This got me slightly better results, but once the first round was over I pretty much knew nothing about anyone else.

Season 3:
1-Player
2-Scout position
3-Scout position

This has been the best for me so far in terms of knowing a little bit about a greater amount of players. I’m still not dominating drafts like I used to, but at least I felt like I scouted better this time.

Next season I’m going to try:
1-Scout position
2-Scout position
3-Scout position
Until there’s like two weeks left before the draft and then scout players for all 3 spots. I need to be more mindful of where I’m drafting and therefore shouldn’t waste time scouting players that won’t be available by the time I pick.

Another variable which has been fun to consider is their interest level.

If I’m scouting a guy, but his interest is down around 30% there’s not a great chance I’ll be able to sign him so I need to move onto someone else.

Interested to see what strategies other people have used.

I think this is the part of the strategy I'm most looking forward too. Gotta make sure you are scouting players who will be available and interested in signing

Thanks Peyton. #18
Old 03-26-2023, 01:34 PM   #4
All Star

franch1se's Arena

OVR: 20

when can you start scouting? I just started a franchise and I'm 3 games in and the Scouting tab has a lock on it.
Old 03-26-2023, 01:44 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by franch1se
when can you start scouting? I just started a franchise and I'm 3 games in and the Scouting tab has a lock on it.
Scouting is done only on Sundays

Sent from my SM-F711U using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-26-2023, 03:42 PM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by franch1se

In addition to only scouting on Sundays, make sure your settings have scouting to manual. An easy way to figure that out is if you hover over the scouting box with the lock on it, in the upper right corner you’ll see a slide with either manual or auto.

Old 03-27-2023, 05:11 PM   #7
Rookie

doorknobb's Arena

OVR: 0

Haven't gotten around to any systematic attempts at figuring out an optimal way of doing this but just anecdotally I've noticed that when the timer runs down in the signing period the player seems more willing to sign for lower at 50+% interest, even if they've rejected the exact same offer weeks before. I've had a few seasons where my budget was cutting it really close and the only one I haven't signed was the first rounder I picked and managed to get it in the bag on the last week every time at around 52-55% interest. In all of the seasons I've managed to sign everyone else but my first rounder who held out until the last week. I don't know if it's hardcoded or not - it seems very convenient (although small sample size for sure) - but it seems like some elementary mind games have been helpful.

Also, wondering if people are scouting for need for scouting for best-available? Playing OOTP with a full 20+ round draft I usually go for best-available-that-I-can-afford because after a few seasons god knows who I'll actually need but the timeline is so much shorter here that I've been drafting players who are able to slot into AA or even AAA real quick, although I don't know if this is necessarily wise. Curious as to everybody's strategy here.
Old 03-28-2023, 05:58 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

While I’m waiting for a roster update with Senga to drop I’ve decided to experiment with scouting to find the best approach. I’ll be using The Mets so their pick is at the bottom of the round. My scouts have the following efficiency, pitcher, discovery, and position player ratings
83, 92, 92, 81
88, 93, 96, 67
91, 68, 68, 93

For my first attempt I did nothing but scout by position, most prospects were around 25% scouted. I had 8 picks, they were as follows

RP age 20 potential 76-98, actual potential 84, overall 52-74, actual overall 60, he also didn’t take a physical
SP age 18 potential 66-96, actual potential 89, overall 43-74, actual overall 67, he didn’t take the physical and he was unranked by mlb
1B age 21 potential 76-93 actual potential 68, overall 56-73, actual overall 48
CP age 21 potential 82-99, actual potential 93, overall 51-68, actual overall 62
SP age 21 potential 82-99, overall 46-63. I couldn’t sign him despite offering more than he asked for
LF age 19 potential 67-89, actual potential 72, overall 44-66, actual overall 49
2B age 18 potential 59-90, actual potential 75, overall 24-55, actual overall 51
C age 18, potential 58-89, overall 24-55. I couldn’t sign him despite offering more than he asked for

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »