Home

EA PGA Tour Deal or No Deal.

This is a discussion on EA PGA Tour Deal or No Deal. within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-23-2023, 08:56 AM   #1
Rookie

Darkmiss's Arena

OVR: 1
Icon5 EA PGA Tour Deal or No Deal.

1: 60 Frames per second mode (even if its locked to 1080p)
2: Full offline gameplay, Single rounds and championship games.

These are the two things will stop me from even considering buying EA PGA Tour on PS5. it is looking to be a great golf game and one we have been waiting for, for a long time.

We already have 2K golf games that are good enough and have 60 FPS but you are locked out of most features when playing without an internet connection.

So please give us the best golf game possible.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-23-2023, 09:33 AM   #2
MVP

jbd345's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: EA PGA Tour Deal or No Deal.

Augusta, all four majors and the fidelity that comes with frostbite. That enough for a day one purchase for me. Agree with it or not.
Old 03-23-2023, 10:20 AM   #3
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkmiss
1: 60 Frames per second mode (even if its locked to 1080p)
2: Full offline gameplay, Single rounds and championship games.

These are the two things will stop me from even considering buying EA PGA Tour on PS5. it is looking to be a great golf game and one we have been waiting for, for a long time.

We already have 2K golf games that are good enough and have 60 FPS but you are locked out of most features when playing without an internet connection.

So please give us the best golf game possible.
If I didn't have a gaming PC that can easily run the game at 1080p, and possibly 1440p, at 60 FPS, your point #1 would be a deal breaker for me. Any golf game that uses an analog interface benefits tremendously from 60 FPS versus 30 FPS.

I'm planning to play the EA Access versions of the game on both my XBox Series X and PC next week. I suspect that test will help me confirm that I'll go with the PC version, but I'll give it a fair trial.

I play PGA TOUR 2K23 primarily on my gaming PC because it plays so much smoother than the Series X, even with the Series X version in "Performance" mode. Its frame rate varies enough to make the swing feel less responsive and proportional as what I get out of the PC version at a solid 60 FPS, even though it is being display in an FSR 1.0 enhanced 1080p.

Your point #2 would be very nice to have, but wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. I'm really hoping they can get rid of the online reliance for career mode though. This is the first golf game since PGA Championship Golf 200 that I've really looked forward to, and it would be nice to have to option to be totally offline for it.
Old 03-23-2023, 11:47 AM   #4
Hall of Fame

jb12780's Arena

OVR: 23

Already pre-ordered. Big golf guy (started taking it seriously last year, played about 80 rounds, currently a 31.6) so this is an absolute no brained.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-23-2023, 12:20 PM   #5
Banned

lions67's Arena

OVR: 0

Maybe when it’s on sale for 70% off.
Until then… not a chance
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-23-2023, 01:00 PM   #6
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by scagwi

I'm not sure what the 30/60/Uncapped fps will really mean for this specific game, as the swing is going to be much less FPS dependent than the one in 2K golf

(that is my strong suspicion anyhow)
Oh wow... I haven't even considered this possible (and hopefully not likely) scenario! You're right, if it's a dial & flick fest like RMPAT was, the tempo would have far less weight in the shot outcome than PGA 2K23. Thank you for leading me to my wake up and smell the coffee moment for this game! However tempo affects the outcome of the shot, it's got to at least be tangible. If it's based more on flick timing than an accelerating application of backswing to downswing stick motion, the frame rate will be much less of a factor.

If tempo isn't properly in scale with swing path and backswing length in its impact on the shot, it's not going to really matter to me at what frame rate the game is presented.

I still recall reading one of the games press releases stating that tempo would have some effect on shot accuracy... not just power (and I can't find it now). It's going to have to have a proportional effect (hopefully on push or pull) on the shot's accuracy. If it's carry only... I doubt I'll be buying the game. I should know yay or nay after a 10 hour play test.

Thanks for the red pill delivery Scagwi!
Old 03-23-2023, 07:19 PM   #7
Rookie

Hilldog39's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlookerDelay
I still recall reading one of the games press releases stating that tempo would have some effect on shot accuracy... not just power (and I can't find it now). It's going to have to have a proportional effect (hopefully on push or pull) on the shot's accuracy. If it's carry only... I doubt I'll be buying the game. I should know yay or nay after a 10 hour play test.

Thanks for the red pill delivery Scagwi!
Is this what you were talking about?

https://www.ea.com/games/ea-sports-p...play-deep-dive

"So if your backswing is too long you’ll overswing but if it’s too short, you’ll underswing. If your forward swing is too fast or slow, your shot won’t go the intended distance"

"The swing plane impacts the curve on the shot and the initial direction of the launch. If the swing plane is inaccurate, the curve and direction of the ball will shift for the backswing and forward swing respectively"

GT: xGBx Boogie
Xbox Series X
PC: Ryzen 7 5800x, RTX 4080, 32GB Ram
Old 03-23-2023, 11:38 PM   #8
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldog39
Is this what you were talking about?

https://www.ea.com/games/ea-sports-p...play-deep-dive

"So if your backswing is too long you’ll overswing but if it’s too short, you’ll underswing. If your forward swing is too fast or slow, your shot won’t go the intended distance"

"The swing plane impacts the curve on the shot and the initial direction of the launch. If the swing plane is inaccurate, the curve and direction of the ball will shift for the backswing and forward swing respectively"
No, that isn't what I recall reading, although it's close. I just remember something being said about the tempo affecting accuracy. It was only that one time that I saw it though.

I saw something in the leaked video that was posted on Reddit and linked here that suggested what you've quoted above is truly (and regrettably) the case... and that is that tempo will only be one of the factors in shot carry. If that's indeed how it turns out, it's going to fail to cash in on what would have been a more intuitively relational impact on the swing... push (slow tempo) or pull (fast tempo).

Thanks for giving me my second red pill of the day regarding this game though... I want the truth because I can handle the truth!

Last edited by OnlookerDelay; 03-23-2023 at 11:59 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »