Home

So I decided to check out Madden 17...

This is a discussion on So I decided to check out Madden 17... within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 03-18-2023, 08:51 PM   #1
Rookie

ShaneTheMaster's Arena

OVR: 2
So I decided to check out Madden 17...

..and I was amazed how much better it was than Madden 23 on NextGen. I linked a clip from the game below. For those that don't know, this was the last Madden game to use the Ignite engine.

I was astounded at how the players played "heavier" on the field, particularly during tackles, when compared to Madden 23. Obviously, the movement is more fluid on NextGen, and the sidelines are better - but there are other things that I am shocked were better on Madden 17 on LastGen.

Some other things I noticed that were better on Madden 17:

1. Defensive holding penalties were actually called!
2. Blocked field goals / punts actually occurred!
3. Referees on the field reacting to the plays on the field.
4. Simpler, better presentation.
5. No momentum meter
6. No Gamey X-Factors
7. When a fumble happens, offensive lineman will actually try to fall on the ball, instead of the defense picking it up for a TD every time.

Last edited by ShaneTheMaster; 03-18-2023 at 08:59 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-18-2023, 09:27 PM   #2
MVP

gr18's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: So I decided to check out Madden 17...

I'm not sure it's the fault of the engine as much as the programming.I know there's better with last gen when it comes to presentation and my big pet peeve being penalties.

I was a bigger fan of '16,though no full player editing hurts but gameplay was tuned really well.

'20 was very good and '18 fully patched was a better version of 17 even though it was the first using the Frostbite engine.

'17 had some things going for it but qb AI regressed quite a bit from '16.They all played like pocket passers no matter what you did and weren't a threat at all to scramble.This was fixed with a late patch in '18.

I like '23 gameplay for the most part but would like presentation and especially to finally see penalties again after they've been nerfed since late '21.The momentum meter should be a choice as well.
Old 03-18-2023, 11:06 PM   #3
Rookie

ShaneTheMaster's Arena

OVR: 2

Engine-wise, the biggest difference is that the players seem to be weightless on Frostbite. Didnt really think about it until I fired up 17 again.
Old 03-19-2023, 03:51 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0

I hadn't played a Madden between 21 and Madden 25 (confusing names for sure) so for amusements sake I picked up copies of 17, 18, and 20 at various points. 17 was the last one I checked out, and I knew of its positive reputation as the last one before Frostbite, but after being super impressed by the feel of 18- which seems to have a nice middle ground between a video game look and the trying to be real look of 20 onwards - 17 just looked really bland and gamey.
Old 03-19-2023, 09:54 AM   #5
MVP

17 18 and 19 are the best maddens imho
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-19-2023, 10:36 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 0

On the field, I still don't think any Madden is better than M16.

The AI was strong in terms of playcalling and AI players using their skills based on ratings. The penalties actually worked and were called, even defensive holding (which was substantially nerfed starting in M17 and was completely removed by M18).
AI QBs were good and made good decisions. Mobile QBs were deadly.

What hurt M16 was the broken morale system in Franchise and there was no editing in franchise mode except for equipment. Editing outside of franchise was also more limited which hurts those of us who make and play with classic rosters.

While M17 was still a decent game, I think it pales in comparison to M16. M20 was the next best game all around, and I still play it often because of the huge number of classic rosters there.

If I could take M16 gameplay and somehow fix the editing issues, I would be set!
Old 03-20-2023, 01:53 PM   #7
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31

In 3 years, someone is going to be posting "I just picked up Madden 23 and omg it's so much better!"

It's a tale as old as time on the forums. We always look back through a narrow lens. Then you keep playing the older version and the flaws come to the surface.

It's like when people want to claim that the gameplay in Madden 05 was just the best ever. But we forget about the superman LBs, the total lack of a pocket, the hard-set canned animations, the coin flip lineman interactions, lack of gang tackles, CBs who have eyes in the back of their heads, etc.

And posts like this from Deuce Douglas are a reminder: https://forums.operationsports.com/f...&postcount=717
Old 03-20-2023, 02:38 PM   #8
MVP

gr18's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos86
In 3 years, someone is going to be posting "I just picked up Madden 23 and omg it's so much better!"

It's a tale as old as time on the forums. We always look back through a narrow lens. Then you keep playing the older version and the flaws come to the surface.

It's like when people want to claim that the gameplay in Madden 05 was just the best ever. But we forget about the superman LBs, the total lack of a pocket, the hard-set canned animations, the coin flip lineman interactions, lack of gang tackles, CBs who have eyes in the back of their heads, etc.

And posts like this from Deuce Douglas are a reminder: https://forums.operationsports.com/f...&postcount=717
You're right.Every Madden has their 'fatal flaws'.It's personal opinion and pick your poison basically.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »