Home

**The Different Perspectives of Simulation**

This is a discussion on **The Different Perspectives of Simulation** within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 10-07-2022, 12:36 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 0
**The Different Perspectives of Simulation**

I've been a member of OS for many years now but I've never actually paid attention to the various perspectives coming from different personalities of what a "simulation" football game should be.

How are we getting opinions from half of the demographic who say great progress is being made and they're having a blast, while others are the complete opposite? How am I enjoying 23 in the same ways that I enjoyed the PS2 gold era while others are protesting?

I finally figured it out. If you were already aware, good on you, but allow me to lay out my perspective.

My vision of what a simulation football game is supposed to be, is primarily focused on the field play with a passing "wave top" interest of the technicalities of the NFL "politics", i.e. draft, why a player was traded, real world stats, price of hot dogs, etc. I've noticed that others vision of simulation appears to be embedded heavily into the real world numbers and said politics.

I've picked up through conversations or (posts) that some guys here are strictly focused on drafts and numbers almost as if Madden should be the equivalent of a text based simulation game (I'm not saying that this portion of Madden SHOULDN'T be that complex, but its just not). I'm not entirely sure if these guys actually even play the game itself, they appear to do the draft and simulate the games (while sometimes watching the games here and there). They'll simulate most if not ALL of the actual season to get to the next draft and do it all over again!

For me, its the complete opposite. I simulate the draft which I've found is actually shielding me from some of the more major bugs and I play every single game. While not the end all be all of simulation, earth like/real world physics on the field of play, rate at the very TOP of what I'm looking for. With what we have now, I could NEVER return to anything produced in the past decade (anything PS4, Xbox one, PS3, Xbox 360 will never be in my top five of football titles).

With that said, the draft and stats are still important to me, but it would have to be something extreme/egregious for me to be up in arms. I don't mind if multiple QBs have 5000 yard seasons for example (if it was multiple QBs with 8000 yards for example, it would raise a red flag in my world). The 5000 yard example I just chalk up to its the "Madden world" and go with it.

Should we expect Madden to be on the level of a text based simulation? The devs would have to be strictly focused on that portion of the game for that to be a reality. You probably would have to have two entirely different games (Similar to how we had the standalone 'NFL Head Coach' back in the day). Or maybe not, maybe the tech available now should be able to handle it all in one sweep (but do you have the quality of developer to do it?).

I think another reason why some enjoy the title more than others is age and experience with previous football titles. For someone who grew up playing 4th and inches and T.V. Sports football on the Commodore 64, or Mattel electronic football (with the small screen and red dots that were the "players") as well as some of the more recent classics (early 1990 maddens, NFL gamedays, etc), Madden 23 is most certainly the pinnacle. Back then, you got what you got, there wasn't any bug fixes, patches, nothing. Whatever came out, you played it, which means our tolerance level is WAY higher.

Current tech also has an influence. For those used to playing online and utilizing those assets, I can see why you would be aggravated. For those similar to myself, we couldn't care less about running multiple man leagues, its strictly single man franchise. Once again, the needs are very different.

I have a few other things in mind, however, I'm losing focus at the moment (that last paragraph is kind of janky imo lol, I'm running out of breath if you didn't notice) so I'll leave it here for now.

Please, add on. I'm interested to see your take and it'll also spark me back up to get back into the conversation. In the mean time, I'm going to get a game of 23 in. See you soon.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-07-2022, 01:04 PM   #2
Expletive Deleted

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

Re: **The Different Perspectives of Simulation**

I think there are a couple reasons why their are two drastic perspectives. One is some peopleare fortunate enough that the default sliders matches their video gamestick skills. Or tbey are lucky enough to get sliders adjusted to match their skills. On the other side of that coin is some peopleare simply too talented at video games and cant geteven the most difficult level to give them a good competitive game. I am among thelucky ones that my skills are not so great that I am able to ebjoy the game with either default sliders or adjusted. This goes for any sports game in my opinion.
Old 10-07-2022, 01:08 PM   #3
Pro

GoJags904's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsofthevalley
I've been a member of OS for many years now but I've never actually paid attention to the various perspectives coming from different personalities of what a "simulation" football game should be.

How are we getting opinions from half of the demographic who say great progress is being made and they're having a blast, while others are the complete opposite? How am I enjoying 23 in the same ways that I enjoyed the PS2 gold era while others are protesting?

I finally figured it out. If you were already aware, good on you, but allow me to lay out my perspective.

My vision of what a simulation football game is supposed to be, is primarily focused on the field play with a passing "wave top" interest of the technicalities of the NFL "politics", i.e. draft, why a player was traded, real world stats, price of hot dogs, etc. I've noticed that others vision of simulation appears to be embedded heavily into the real world numbers and said politics.

I've picked up through conversations or (posts) that some guys here are strictly focused on drafts and numbers almost as if Madden should be the equivalent of a text based simulation game (I'm not saying that this portion of Madden SHOULDN'T be that complex, but its just not). I'm not entirely sure if these guys actually even play the game itself, they appear to do the draft and simulate the games (while sometimes watching the games here and there). They'll simulate most if not ALL of the actual season to get to the next draft and do it all over again!

For me, its the complete opposite. I simulate the draft which I've found is actually shielding me from some of the more major bugs and I play every single game. While not the end all be all of simulation, earth like/real world physics on the field of play, rate at the very TOP of what I'm looking for. With what we have now, I could NEVER return to anything produced in the past decade (anything PS4, Xbox one, PS3, Xbox 360 will never be in my top five of football titles).

With that said, the draft and stats are still important to me, but it would have to be something extreme/egregious for me to be up in arms. I don't mind if multiple QBs have 5000 yard seasons for example (if it was multiple QBs with 8000 yards for example, it would raise a red flag in my world). The 5000 yard example I just chalk up to its the "Madden world" and go with it.

Should we expect Madden to be on the level of a text based simulation? The devs would have to be strictly focused on that portion of the game for that to be a reality. You probably would have to have two entirely different games (Similar to how we had the standalone 'NFL Head Coach' back in the day). Or maybe not, maybe the tech available now should be able to handle it all in one sweep (but do you have the quality of developer to do it?).

I think another reason why some enjoy the title more than others is age and experience with previous football titles. For someone who grew up playing 4th and inches and T.V. Sports football on the Commodore 64, or Mattel electronic football (with the small screen and red dots that were the "players") as well as some of the more recent classics (early 1990 maddens, NFL gamedays, etc), Madden 23 is most certainly the pinnacle. Back then, you got what you got, there wasn't any bug fixes, patches, nothing. Whatever came out, you played it, which means our tolerance level is WAY higher.

Current tech also has an influence. For those used to playing online and utilizing those assets, I can see why you would be aggravated. For those similar to myself, we couldn't care less about running multiple man leagues, its strictly single man franchise. Once again, the needs are very different.

I have a few other things in mind, however, I'm losing focus at the moment (that last paragraph is kind of janky imo lol, I'm running out of breath if you didn't notice) so I'll leave it here for now.

Please, add on. I'm interested to see your take and it'll also spark me back up to get back into the conversation. In the mean time, I'm going to get a game of 23 in. See you soon.
It's a rabbit hole honestly. While I'm not a stat guru of any sort, I do understand the frustration of the unrealistic stats madden produces. I also come from the gaming area of late 80s and early 90s so I have some tolerance myself.

It just seems it's complete opposite for me as far as single player goes. I do want a better and more real, true to life experience. I guess I've been exhausted with Madden ball and want something more NFL like instead. When blocking issues like instashed continue to happen, AI players acting braindead still while the ball is in play, FG kickers trying ridiculous field goals with no team field position awareness for misses.....it's frustrating. Add that to the bad offseason logic still as well as no true chess match but instead a madden ball user fest, it doesn't leave the same impression on me as it does you.

That is the point though, we all have similar origin stories with sports gaming but the issue is who is ok with madden ball and who is not. Some want more true to life overall and others are happy with one small step at a time even if it's one small step back as well. For me, I just play to play football at this point. Whether it even makes pop warner sense or not, it's all we got as a triple A title. Sucks but such is life at times. Don't hate the player, hate the game. That's what NFL gaming from EA is rn. Play their way or find another hobby because they are still getting paid good lol.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

NFL --- JAX JAGUARS (DUUUUVAAAL)
MLB --- BOSTON RED SOX
NBA --- LAKERS4LIFE
NCAAF --- GATOR NATION (UF)
NCAAB --- DUKE BLUE DEVILS
MLS --- DC UNITED
BARCLAYS PL --- CHELSEA

MUSIC/ARTIST ALIAS --- SHIESTY SLIM
"CRAY CRAY" available on ITUNES, GOOGLE PLAY, AMAZON
Old 10-07-2022, 01:48 PM   #4
Rookie

Dagan's Arena

To me, the short answer is that ratings, settings and sliders exactly exist for all of us to individually achieve our standards (fulfill our perspectives) for simulation style competition, and each year lately, there are glitches or code tunings that prevent that from happening until several weeks after launch.
Old 10-07-2022, 01:57 PM   #5
MVP

Madden08PCgmr's Arena

They want a 1-size-fits-all product.

They make a 1-size-fits-NONE product.

They need to piece this thing out. Make an arcade game (online and MUT) for everyone. Make a franchise mode game. Make another great coach/gm game. I don't know if they can make a retro game thanks to the Jim Brown ruling, but I'd love to see it.

If the franchise and coach game weren't subject to the annual release, they might be able to make those modes worth playing.

Last edited by Madden08PCgmr; 10-07-2022 at 02:00 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-07-2022, 02:02 PM   #6
Rookie

Dagan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madden08PCgmr
They want a 1-size-fits-all product.

They make a 1-size-fits-NONE product.

They need to piece this thing out. Make an arcade game (online and MUT) for everyone. Make a franchise mode game. Make another great coach/gm game. I don't know if they can make a retro game thanks to the Jim Brown ruling, but I'd love to see it.

If the franchise and coach game weren't subject to the annual release, they might be able to make those modes worth playing.
Kind of. More like they keep trying to make a multi-tool, but we just want a screwdriver.

Okay, yeah, you added more to your post - same thinking.
Old 10-07-2022, 02:34 PM   #7
All Star

TarHeelPhenom's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsofthevalley

I'm going to try not to be all over the place with this; but I'll start by saying that we are from the same era. I grew up playing the Atari 2600 football game where if a running back broke out for a long run, the game would allow you as the defender to run out the opposite side of the screen to get back in the play. So, needless to say I've seen video game football come a longggggggggg way.

As far as "Simulation" goes, just saying that word will have different gamers defining it differently. I've posted this before, but when I bought Out Of The Park Baseball for the first time a few years back, I went over to the OOTP forum. I saw where they were having a discussion about this very thing. Basically to a man, the PC gamers stated that any game that requires input from the user is not considered sim, but arcade. So, in their minds, OOTP Baseball was a true sim and MLB The Show was an arcade game. That was the first time I had ever heard that argument and it definitely didn't/still doesn't fit my own definition of what sim is.

My personal definition of whether a game is sim or not is if it replicates what I see in real life on the field, the court, or the diamond. As far as Madden 23 is concerned, I'd definitely say yes...interceptions included lol(joke). It can be argued how well it plays out...that's up to each individual to determine that for themselves.

My gaming experience has changed over the years. When I was younger and up until about 10 years ago, I valued the User v. User/AI experience. I wanted to be hands on and play every game. But, since then I'm mostly a AI v. AI guy preferring to make gameplanning decisions before the game and then letting the game play out while spectating. And even when I do play User games, I only control one player for an entire play no matter offense or defense so that my input is limited. I've found that to be more rewarding, and more sim for my taste in gaming at this stage of my gaming life.

I've observed, for myself, that playing this way shields me, for lack of better words, from a lot of issues that rear their heads in User dominant controlled games. So, for my personal experience, Madden 23 does a doggone good job of simming what I see on Sundays. It's a beautiful game...especially from the Broadcast Camera. The gameplay can be tweaked through editing, as tedious as it is without a global editor, to my liking; and I haven't touched another football game since it released in August. I use to play older games for my football fixes, but as of now, I don't feel the need to go back to those games unless I just have the urge to play them for fun. Madden 23 is enough for how I enjoy video game football now. It also doesn't hurt thta it gives me a glimpse into what the college game will be like next summer.
Old 10-07-2022, 02:43 PM   #8
Fear Me

Kramer5150's Arena

OVR: 17

Simulation? when I think of simulation that SHOULD mean simulating what we see on any given Sunday.

Madden as it stands right now (imo) is FAR from being a "simulation product" and therefore shouldn't be marketed as such....the gameplay on the field is very mediocre and stagnate, I understand that the game needs to appeal to a wide audience, but EA is in FAR to deep with this product to do that.

When I say the game should reflect what we see on Sunday's....I want ALL the NFL penalties, I want to see botched snaps, I want the ability to import custom soundtracks into my stadium (Acrisure) for atmosphere and the list could go on and on.

Again, the only thing this game has going for it is the exclusive license.....take away the shield and all the uni's and names and this game is an after thought, there is no way in hell the gameplay is good enough to stand on it's own...

The little Johnny's out there probably have no idea who John Madden was, so the name recognition factor goes right out the window....all they probably care about is usering their favorite player and throw for 10,000 yards and put up 20 td's a game.

So to that I say....simulation SHOULD be what we see on Sunday's....we have different modes in the game that are SUPPOSED to help with this, but like many areas in this game they fail to live up to expectations.
“I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest – If you can’t take it, you shouldn’t play!” Jack Lambert
Quote:
“Quarterbacks should wear dresses.” Jack Lambert

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »