Home

Talking Schemes

This is a discussion on Talking Schemes within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 10-04-2022, 11:23 AM   #1
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41
Talking Schemes

Many moon ago schemes were introduced to Madden. Many of us loved the idea and were hopeful(our mistake) that the feature would eventually evolve into something similar to what NFL Head Coach had with it's schemes.

Well, we're here with Madden 23 and the schemes haven't been touched much. They've seen some adjustments here and there, but in typical EA fashion the feature has not really been focused on since its implementation, so it sits here to this day with tons of potential that isn't being realized.

I'm starting this topic because I'd like to see a discussion on what people would like to see added to the schemes system in the game. I'm tired of talking about the interceptions issue, reading about franchise not working, etc., so I am hoping this thread allows us to just sit back and let our brains think of what we'd like to see.

For me, personally, I'd love to see a create a scheme system where we name the scheme, we set up how each position archetype is valued in the system, and we are able to customize multiple tendencies and goals inside the system. When I say goals, I mean EA gives us a list of strategies/philosophies to choose from.

For example, I could create a system that has the strategy to really rotate between two backs. These backs don't rotate in in the typical Madden fashion with the generic and flawed auto sub/fatigue system. It uses some more complex logic based on the carry split you set in the scheme and how you set the back usage up. You can have them rotate every X amount of plays, every other drive, make it situational, etc. This will take precedence over the depth chart. For example, I have it set to any 2nd, 3rd, or 4th down and less than 5 yards to go Christian Okoye is to be in the game no matter my formation. Or I set it up to where Okoye is to stay in the entire 1st drive, then RB2 gets the whole 2nd possession.

On top of this, you are able to customize what the offense tries to achieve. For example, their goal is to use formations that spread the defense to get light boxes. Or they use lots of pre-snap motion to get certain looks, etc.

I know this type of feature is not something EA usually trots out and is more like what 2k does in NBA 2k, but this is a wish list item of mine that I would absolutely love to see implemented into Madden and the rebooted college football series. If you combined it with custom rosters, you could really recreate past eras. And another potential with the feature is EA could implement it to where assistant coaches are influenced at varying levels by the head coach, so you'll see coaching trees form where guys are all running variations of different schemes.

What ideas do you guys have?

― Plato
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-04-2022, 01:15 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Talking Schemes

Main thing for me is there needs to be some link between scheme and playbook.

I can have a "gap run" scheme and a playbook full of nothing but inside zone and stretch.

I can even have a 3-4 scheme and a 4-3 playbook.

Kinda dumb.
Old 10-04-2022, 02:24 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 0

After you unlock the coaching ability to get all players scheme match xp they really don't matter anymore. The only thing I can think of is free agency and resigning where it could be a scheme match factor in determine their interest. It doesn't even matter what scheme your coordinators run versus what you run. I prefer the old system where you could set each position to what you want. I run a 3-4 and I want my best two pass rushers at olb. I don't care whether they are power rushers or speed rushers. Same with my rush de's would like a fs that is zone and a ss that is run support but with auto flip that doesn't matter either and I just split the diffence and develop them all as hybrid. I agree that it has potential but if we haven't seen them improve it yet I doubt we will in the future.
Old 10-04-2022, 03:02 PM   #4
We Here

Hassan Darkside's Arena

OVR: 34

Agree with everything stated above. There needs to be a relationship between scheme, coordinators, and playbooks.

I'd like to see some sort of incentive to acquire players that fit your scheme or a disincentive for players that don't.

There used to be a mainly cosmetic feature that showed a higher overall for players that fit your scheme or lower overall for players that didn't, even though all their ratings were the same. Perhaps they should add a temporary ratings hit for non-scheme fits, similar to how low-morale works. The quality of your coordinator should determine how quickly a player adapts to a scheme, or if they ever do.
Royce da 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican
How many brothers fell victim to the skeet.........
Old 10-04-2022, 03:57 PM   #5
Rookie

dh13king's Arena

A true hybrid scheme or at least the ability to create one. Madden has always been bad at replicating New England's defensive scheme and often will have inaccurate positions for front 7 players with off-ball LBs listed at OLB when the Pats D in Madden is a 3-4 (this doesn't seem to be an issue this year at least).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-05-2022, 01:19 PM   #6
MVP

Mattanite's Arena

EA are aware of exploit arising from new player demands and schemes changing at free will. They also had our feedback on scheme lock options to coaches/OC/DC and scheme lock after preseason until offseason. Nothing might happen with it still.
Old 10-06-2022, 04:52 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

There are a number of issues w/ how they handle schemes (as well as positions), but some of the bigger ones, to me, include:

The fact that we can't customize certain positions. Some of their combos just don't make sense, like the power RT for the Air Raid or the Power Rusher OLB for the C3.

The fact that schemes have little relationship to playbooks. Tons of their playbooks are actually mis-labeled when you go in and tabulate the number of zone vs. gap runs, for example, or the types of concepts in their passing game.

Play calling, while improved, does not really represent a team having a scheme because, as with point 2, the playbooks themselves are not well tailored to the scheme.

If they were to make just one improvement in this area, I'd like to see it be related to marrying schemes & playbooks, and by extension, I'd think that would also inform play calling.

Another really cool layer would be the ability to have scheme flexibility tied to certain coaches who are known for that, such that teams could adapt to the talent on their roster and alter their schematic approach, personnel utilization, and play calling dynamically as needed (again, not everyone would be able to do this super well, but some coaches should be able to).
Old 10-10-2022, 07:48 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

ok, so I have a question that I can't find a better thread to ask it in with the OS search function such as it is and this is about as close to the topic as I can find as far as I can see.

I recently started playing 15 minute quarters and I have run into a problem I never had before. before, I never worried about over using one play as I had far far fewer total plays to run being in that I played 6 minute quarters.

my question is how many times should I set as a self-imposed limit for my '' bread-and-butter'' play per game? once a quarter, for a total of 4 times per game? that actually sounds too low for 15 minute quarters, so can I raise it a little more without it being something that would become an abnormal amount of times in one game, like maybe 8 times a game? is that still too many?

there's this one pass play that I over used intentionally today to see what happened and I caused Aaron Rodgers to throw 4 picks as well as fumble 4 times (losing 2 of those fumbles). this is for all-pro if that helps. thanks in advance

A Work in Progress

Last edited by Caulfield; 10-10-2022 at 10:00 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »