Home

Momentum meter seems totally broken

This is a discussion on Momentum meter seems totally broken within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-13-2022, 11:26 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 6
Momentum meter seems totally broken

The momentum meter seems to have a few major problems -

1. It values interceptions over anything else
2. I generally SIM defense, and play offense only. When you simulate your defense, it seems to have no bearing on the meter.
3. Context of the game doesn't matter. I can be in victory formation, and yet somehow the other team has their momentum meter 75% full, and growing every time I kneel.

A common sequence I come across is the following:

1. I throw an INT
2. I get a (simulated) defensive stop
3. I score a touchdown.

Based on these 3 events, the CPU winds up having their momentum meter perpetually at least half full, as this sequence results in a net positive momentum increase for my opponent.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-13-2022, 11:30 AM   #2
MVP

dubplate's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: Momentum meter seems totally broken

We either need an option to turn it off, or it needs to be seriously toned down.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 09-13-2022, 11:41 AM   #3
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

The "issue" here is that it really seems to be calibrated more for short quarter lengths - if it is slowed-down, then folks playing short quarter lengths would barely see it move. But, "as is" right now, we see far too much for more reasonable quarter lengths that better mimic real-life play counts.

What we need is one of the following:

1. Programming to make the sensitivity quarter-length dependent.
2. The option for the user to tune it to their desires
3. The option to turn it off completely for franchise/offline modes.
Old 09-13-2022, 11:55 AM   #4
MVP

timmg's Arena

OVR: 5

definitely needs some tweaking or the ability to turn it off, hope u can on NCAA & madden 24
Old 09-13-2022, 12:00 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallidevils
The momentum meter seems to have a few major problems -

1. It values interceptions over anything else
2. I generally SIM defense, and play offense only. When you simulate your defense, it seems to have no bearing on the meter.
3. Context of the game doesn't matter. I can be in victory formation, and yet somehow the other team has their momentum meter 75% full, and growing every time I kneel.

A common sequence I come across is the following:

1. I throw an INT
2. I get a (simulated) defensive stop
3. I score a touchdown.

Based on these 3 events, the CPU winds up having their momentum meter perpetually at least half full, as this sequence results in a net positive momentum increase for my opponent.
I agree, I quit posting in the INT and other threads because in my view the real issue is momentum.

The game plays a lot better when you have half or less momentum. When either team gets full momentum the game becomes problematic.

I don't want them to remove it, tone it down, tweak it, fix it.

Take this huge momentum feature, as it is now, and put it in EA College Football where it will be much better suited.
Streaming PC & PS5 games, join me most nights after 6:00pm ET at WWW. KICK.COM/ODOGG

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-13-2022, 12:18 PM   #6
MVP

Jagsfan24's Arena

OVR: 0

I do agree also that the momentum meter is a bit too much, though I get it that in real life sometimes a team gets a turnover and they will have the momentum right away. I would rather just have the screen shake like in the NCAA days
Old 09-13-2022, 03:45 PM   #7
Rookie

Currently playing a game where I am up 24-0, the momentum meter is about 2/3 full for me (keep in mind, 2 turnovers will almost completely fill up the AI's momentum).

I throw an INT, this brings my momentum meter from 2/3 full in my favor, to 1/4 full in my favor. The AI, during simulation, immediately throws an INT and I take over in the red zone. The momentum meter hasn't moved.

It's extremely unfortunately because positive defensive plays have a far greater impact on the momentum meter than offensive plays (even touchdowns), so if you simulate defense you are basically fighting the meter the entire game.
Old 09-13-2022, 03:46 PM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagsfan24
I do agree also that the momentum meter is a bit too much, though I get it that in real life sometimes a team gets a turnover and they will have the momentum right away. I would rather just have the screen shake like in the NCAA days
This is true, but the same should be said for a touchdown. If I score a touchdown or break off a 50 yard run while the AI has momentum, I feel like I barely make a dent in it, where in reality that should completely flip the momentum in my favor.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »