Home

NCAA 14 best all around sports game ever?

This is a discussion on NCAA 14 best all around sports game ever? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 09-04-2022, 03:07 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
NCAA 14 best all around sports game ever?

So I’m admittedly bored but I was thinking…is NCAA 14 (or revamped) the best sports game ever? The dynasty mode has just enough to make consistently addicting, while being fun and realistic enough to keep you coming back. Sure you can’t do everything….but the customization….the AI (army scouting option QBs, hiring only coaches that run a lot in their playbook) the upsets that happen in sim the stat tracking etc. The atmosphere of big games, the carousel etc. RTG while more bare….still encompasses an exciting addicting side mode imo. I’m sure people will think other games are better…but the more i think about it the more i realized how good the game is to me. I have a 25 year dynasty played every game….haven’t got tired of the game yet. Would love others thoughts.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-04-2022, 05:57 PM   #2
Rookie

FF11Football's Arena

Re: NCAA 14 best all around sports game ever?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesportsartist
So I’m admittedly bored but I was thinking…is NCAA 14 (or revamped) the best sports game ever? The dynasty mode has just enough to make consistently addicting, while being fun and realistic enough to keep you coming back. Sure you can’t do everything….but the customization….the AI (army scouting option QBs, hiring only coaches that run a lot in their playbook) the upsets that happen in sim the stat tracking etc. The atmosphere of big games, the carousel etc. RTG while more bare….still encompasses an exciting addicting side mode imo. I’m sure people will think other games are better…but the more i think about it the more i realized how good the game is to me. I have a 25 year dynasty played every game….haven’t got tired of the game yet. Would love others thoughts.
The NCAA 06 and 2K guys are going to be very upset with you lol, but 14 is definitely a great one. Especially when you see what has been done with the mod and db editor stuff.
Old 09-04-2022, 06:46 PM   #3
Pro

Maybe. As far as just on the field play, I'd personally take any PS2 edition of NCAA Football over it, but when you really consider the term "all around", because of Coaching Carousel and Custom Conferences etc. - it may be.

Though, I do wonder, if the amount of time that so many of us have spent on working to improve '14 was spent on any other year, or any other sports game for that matter, would we have an overall better product? The almost 10 year hiatus has created such a unique situation with this game.
Old 09-04-2022, 06:47 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscaloosa
Maybe. As far as just on the field play, I'd personally take any PS2 edition of NCAA Football over it, but when you really consider the term "all around", because of Coaching Carousel and Custom Conferences etc. - it may be.

Though, I do wonder, if the amount of time that so many of us have spent on working to improve '14 was spent on any other year, or any other sports game for that matter, would we have an overall better product? The almost 10 year hiatus has created such a unique situation with this game.
Good point. I play the base NCAA 14. So i can’t speak for the improved modded version !
Old 09-04-2022, 07:31 PM   #5
Rookie

alexbond45's Arena

NCAA 14 looks nice, but I just really hate how it plays.

The on-the-field play is kinda fun to play on offense and horrible on defense. I hate that my drones feel worthless on defense, I hate that the game is so scripted on certain concepts like the read option just forces the DE to chase one guy. It just gets more frustrating than fun to play for me.

I also dislike how dumbed down recruiting is. Sure you can go through recruiting faster, but it feels pretty barebones even when compared to previous games on the same console generation like NCAA 12 and 13.

The sim engine is also goofy in the sense of stats that it can produce IIRC, but this is a complaint that can be leveraged on most EA football games since like...2005 so it's not worth plunking 14 on.

In my humble opinion, NCAA 14's supposed greatness is solely based on the fact that it is the last one and it looks pretty good. If the last one was NCAA 15 instead, people wouldn't give a **** about 14, and might even trash on it in favor of the holy grail of '15.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-04-2022, 08:02 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 9

If you included the modding community (imo, mainly it's the only thing that makes this game great) then yeah. I'm extremely biased towards 2k8 at it's core. And seeing what the Next guys are doing with 06, '14 def has competition.
Old 09-04-2022, 09:09 PM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesportsartist
Good point. I play the base NCAA 14. So i can’t speak for the improved modded version !
Actually, I only play the base as well. Haven't tried Revamped. I was just referring to the amount of work and time that has went into sliders, yearly rosters, Jbrew discovering the fatigue effect, etc. I doubt any other sports game has been picked apart (in a good way) for such an amount of time like this one has. Probably not many games of any genre. It has to be up there with the likes of Skyrim and Minecraft in terms of people playing it for an extended period of time and the community of fans making it better.
Old 09-05-2022, 11:04 AM   #8
All Star

It was certainly the best football game ever.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »