Home

Examples of how defense needs to be balanced

This is a discussion on Examples of how defense needs to be balanced within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 08-23-2022, 05:52 PM   #1
MVP

Kaanyr Vhok's Arena

OVR: 14

I'm generally liking the improved defense,
My last 5 games.
Titans 20 Dolphins 3
Titans 6 Packers 13
Titans 17 Eagles 14
Titans 17 Ravens 7
Titans 17 Bills 0

This is very realistic with the shorter games we play online and I'm winning. I'm seeing more FGs and Punts than ever. I had a FG in all of my last 5 games. I'm 9-4 online and I've won like 7 of my last 8 so I ain't mad at it. I don't want them to overdo a patch and I wouldn't mind if the defense was smarter against spamed plays of any nature.

I want to give a couple examples where it's just bad gameplay that could be patched. Two examples. One, where the defense is just too good and another where the offense needs improvement.

Stephon Gilmore's superstar skills are OP.
I labed up Gilmore vs Treylon Burks. I'm mostly throwing deep passes because I wanted to see if Burks would have any size advantage. Burks is only an inch taller but he outweighs him by at least 20 pounds. The biggest issue is how often Gilmore clipped through Burke for an interception. This is especially problematic when the only clear advantage is weight. Gilmore also had like 20 diving ints compared to Burke having zero diving catches. Gilmore had maybe 3 diving drops. This is unbalanced. I won't go into how often one or the other should win each rep. You can't even explore that when one player clips through the other to catch the ball and one player can make diving catches and the other can't. I wouldn't mind if Gilmore won 70% of the time but it can't be clip interceptions and a diving catch ratio of 100 to 1.

The second thing is there are too many instances of blockers letting defenders go by them. I also see instances where RBs will look to pickup one blitzer and change their mind to pick up another and not end up blocking either. I haven't labed this in as much detail as the other example.

Edit**

With a larger sample size I can say I'm seeing much less clipping on ints. I was practicing against the Titans and I did Caleb Farley jumped over a WR for an int. That's an example of where I think the defense's aggression is a notch too far beyond the offense. I wasn't possession catching.

Acrobat is still an issue. I played the Colts and tried to pick on Gilmore with a quick curl that I was able to beat him with in practice. He superman picked it. When I practice against the Charger's JC Jackson who also has Acrobat and he makes diving picks too. The problem is they are the only people who ever make them. Lets say my opponent was playing underneath. Id have little issue with the diving int so my issue isn't so much that its happening, my issue is that they are the only players who make diving catches. I remember in Madden 20 the offense could make glitchy diving catches. Now its only players with Acrobat. I don't know if I have ever seen an offensive player make a diving catch. I wish we could run telemetry on this game and see who makes diving catches or interceptions.

Last edited by Kaanyr Vhok; 08-29-2022 at 04:45 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2022, 06:50 PM   #2
Hoos Rising

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaanyr Vhok
I labed up Gilmore vs Treylon Burks. I'm mostly throwing deep passes because I wanted to see if Burks would have any size advantage. Burks is only an inch taller but he outweighs him by at least 20 pounds. The biggest issue is how often Gilmore clipped through Burke for an interception. This is especially problematic when the only clear advantage is weight. Gilmore also had like 20 diving ints compared to Burke having zero diving catches. Gilmore had maybe 3 diving drops. This is unbalanced. I won't go into how often one or the other should win each rep. You can't even explore that when one player clips through the other to catch the ball and one player can make diving catches and the other can't. I wouldn't mind if Gilmore won 70% of the time but it can't be clip interceptions and a diving catch ratio of 100 to 1.
Treylon Burks is OVR 73 at WR and Stephon Gilmore is OVR 90 at CB. Specifically relevant to a jump ball situation, Burks has 85 JMP while Gilmore has 92. Gilmore also has advantages in SPD and PRS vs RLS, so Burks will almost never get a step on Gilmore at the snap and is never going to beat him down the sideline in a foot race.

The abilities take precedence over ratings by design, and Gilmore having Acrobat unlocking all the diving INT behavior certainly helps him out, but you can’t just ignore the lopsided player ratings advantage Gilmore has here when comparing how the two players compete against each other in a contested catch / jump ball situation.

Last edited by CM Hooe; 08-23-2022 at 06:53 PM.
Old 08-23-2022, 08:57 PM   #3
MVP

Kaanyr Vhok's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: Examples of how defense needs to be balanced

You are missing my point. Gilmore SHOULD NEVER INTERCEPT A PASS BY GOING THROUGH ANYONE. This would be true with a tackle eligible or Randy Moss. If Burke doesn't have a step and the pass is underthrown Gilmore shouldn't come back and ghost through Burke to get the ball. That happens way too often. Also Gilmore should not have 50 diving catches to 0 against any NFL receiver.
Old 08-23-2022, 09:35 PM   #4
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Yeah, Superstar abilities defying the "laws of physics" is terrible implementation.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 08-24-2022, 01:41 AM   #5
MVP

OVR: 0

Defenders need to actually play to their run fits. I’ve seen so many instances of players overrunning their gap or even ripping/spinning out of their gap. Particularly ILB’s and DE’s.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-24-2022, 02:20 AM   #6
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
Yeah, Superstar abilities defying the "laws of physics" is terrible implementation.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
This is why I turn off the super powers. Added bonus is no annoying super power graphics.
https://forums.operationsports.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2049813056

Last edited by your mom; 06-06-2006 at 6:06 PM.
Old 08-24-2022, 11:24 AM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCoachDx
Defenders need to actually play to their run fits. I’ve seen so many instances of players overrunning their gap or even ripping/spinning out of their gap. Particularly ILB’s and DE’s.

I mean players over run plays and get themselves out of their gap in real life.
Old 08-24-2022, 11:27 AM   #8
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbjay82
I mean players over run plays and get themselves out of their gap in real life.

I have JH players that know if I’m the DE on the outside, don’t go inside. That’s pretty obvious. And that absolutely happens way too often. I’ve even seen A/B gap linebackers be sitting in that gap on a simple dive play and move out of the way.

It’s not poor awareness or just making a wrong read. It’s just randomness.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »