Home

Different body types scanned for Madden 23

This is a discussion on Different body types scanned for Madden 23 within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 08-03-2022, 12:07 PM   #1
MVP

reverend_heat's Arena

OVR: 6
Different body types scanned for Madden 23

I thought this was an interesting article, explains some of the improvements in the body types seen in the 23 beta. They scanned 5 different KC Chief players to offer a better range of player size.

"Newell tapped five Kansas City Chiefs of various heights and, er, widths to better represent the spectrum of NFL players’ bodies. Until this year, Madden had used a single base model, or “silhouette,” that was then altered to represent bulkier or leaner archetypes."

https://www.polygon.com/23156015/mad...layers-coaches

Last edited by reverend_heat; 08-03-2022 at 12:09 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-03-2022, 01:35 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: Different body types scanned for Madden 23

I actually found this part of the article interesting,

Quote:
The big difference? “My last room that I had to do this in, it was the size of this piece of carpet,” Murray says, gesturing at a rug marked with gridiron lines and an EA Sports logo, at best the size of a closet floor. Today, he is working in a much larger and much newer motion capture studio at EA’s downtown Orlando studio, where EA Tiburon moved in 2019, shortly before the pandemic. The capture room, in fact, was completed just the day before our interview, Murray said.

The extra space means that “thousands” of new shots have already been filmed for Madden NFL 23 — 700 in the week before a late May studio tour, Murray says — adding to more than 12,000 filmed over the seven years this technology has been in use. Murray is correct that past Maddens have served up varied animations, after the whistle or the halftime gun, to keep its cinematics from becoming rote and predictable. But looking at the new space he has to work with, I can’t help but think he can more properly frame up a shot from a sideline camera now that he can literally move himself away away to that sideline, in virtual reality.
I hope that it means we will be getting much more authentic looking shots between plays and after the action. That's one major area the already weak presentation struggles. It won't solve everything as the presentation has some poor animations, has scripted cut scenes, etc, but it gives some potential insight into why some things are in the state they are in, like the wonky camera angles between plays, after the game, etc.

I can only hope that their upgrading of his room and their desire to get more authentic body types scanned in is a step towards them striving for more authenticity overall and that trickles into the presentation that desperately needs it.

― Plato
Old 08-03-2022, 01:46 PM   #3
MVP

PhillyPhanatic14's Arena

OVR: 0

Wow that was a great read, thank you for sharing this. My biggest takeaways are that EA is heavily invested in this with the new room for these camera angles, and their goal is authenticity. Love hearing that.

If they could get 700 new shots into the game in one week than I bet we'll see more stuff at launch that didn't make it into the beta. I also hope they take the body type thing further next season to add more than these 5. All really good stuff.

Also... That note about the throwback jerseys is awesome. Lets hope they get all these alternate jerseys and helmets in for launch.
Old 08-03-2022, 02:49 PM   #4
MVP

SolidSquid's Arena

The new body types looked great in the beta but they need to scan a guy like Vita Vea, that body type did not look good at all
Old 08-03-2022, 03:50 PM   #5
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

OVR: 14

If they have updated the Edit Player options to account for the new body types then that'd be great from a customization standpoint!

Hopefully, they continue scanning more players and adding to that body type base. One player they definitely need to scan is Ahmad 'Sauce' Gardner. Lol!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-03-2022, 07:03 PM   #6
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
I actually found this part of the article interesting,

I hope that it means we will be getting much more authentic looking shots between plays and after the action. That's one major area the already weak presentation struggles. It won't solve everything as the presentation has some poor animations, has scripted cut scenes, etc, but it gives some potential insight into why some things are in the state they are in, like the wonky camera angles between plays, after the game, etc.

I can only hope that their upgrading of his room and their desire to get more authentic body types scanned in is a step towards them striving for more authenticity overall and that trickles into the presentation that desperately needs it.
One is compelled to ask why it's taken this long for such a wealthy company to care this much to add such upgrades.

Honestly, the wrong people are at the top. The wrong people for us, I mean. Fortunately, social media has given us a voice, and we've affected that game dramatically over the last 10 years, from graphics to hires.

And I haven't bragged about this in like 6 years, so I'm gonna do it now: I and other annoying people why the 49ers have metallic helmets. Yep. Contacted Jed York and the NFLPA and made a stink about their brand being badly represented (and got responses indicating the matter would be fixed), and the very next cycle, suddenly metallic helmets.

SO yeah, I think it's us, not the suits, that are making this game better. Hell, some of us literally work for EA now. But don't be toxic. Just be persistent.
https://forums.operationsports.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2049813056

Last edited by your mom; 06-06-2006 at 6:06 PM.
Old 08-06-2022, 01:02 PM   #7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞
One is compelled to ask why it's taken this long for such a wealthy company to care this much to add such upgrades.

Honestly, the wrong people are at the top. The wrong people for us, I mean. Fortunately, social media has given us a voice, and we've affected that game dramatically over the last 10 years, from graphics to hires.

And I haven't bragged about this in like 6 years, so I'm gonna do it now: I and other annoying people why the 49ers have metallic helmets. Yep. Contacted Jed York and the NFLPA and made a stink about their brand being badly represented (and got responses indicating the matter would be fixed), and the very next cycle, suddenly metallic helmets.

SO yeah, I think it's us, not the suits, that are making this game better. Hell, some of us literally work for EA now. But don't be toxic. Just be persistent.

I wish getting changes made was that easy!

Sent from my iPad Pro
Old 08-08-2022, 08:35 AM   #8
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoltSwoosh
I wish getting changes made was that easy!

Sent from my iPad Pro
Easy? Lol that was a prolonged, constant campaign. But if you get enough people, you can trend on social media and actually see big changes, ala #FixMaddenFranchise.
https://forums.operationsports.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2049813056

Last edited by your mom; 06-06-2006 at 6:06 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »