Home

My opinion on the "Current State" of MLB The Show

This is a discussion on My opinion on the "Current State" of MLB The Show within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 08-01-2022, 07:18 AM   #1
Bacon is Better

Bullit's Arena

OVR: 17
My opinion on the "Current State" of MLB The Show

Hey, folks. Hope all is well. This originally started out as PM to Countryboy and then I decided to make it a thread and see where it went. Hope you all enjoy the ramblings of an old guy about a video game.

I have been watching OS and this forum pretty carefully this year.

I have noticed that even though the 'reach' of The Show has doubled the audience has not. While there has been an influx of new members contributing to this part of the Forum it is nowhere near what I thought it would be. Also the content of these new members has changed drastically from years past. There is actually very little talk of "real" Baseball or even the actually gameplay of Baseball. The majority of topics are "I have a problem/do you see this?" "I don't like the color of ......" or " I am starting my own thread on a topic that is pinned and already has four other posts talking about the same thing"

There are very few threads of people genuinely talking about the game or Rookies seeking advice or questions about the game both in reality or video game departments. Even the dedicated Franchise thread is not getting the traffic it used to.

I think even more telling is the gradual abandoning of the current game. The biggest on site contributors to this game, such as CB and Armor have both left the game to return to a previous version. Yet these posts going over this have not even reached into the double digits or have already fallen off the main page.

Then add in the almost complete destruction of the Roster Creators because of the removal of Carry Over Saves and it really does start to show a trend of where the game is headed. There is only one thread in the Roster section on the OS Full Minors and the list of created Rosters for '22 is empty even this late in the Summer. Bacon is gone. Heck even Caulfield does not post as much anymore.

What I am getting at in way too many words is that I think this all goes to the current state of the game. I am not saying by any means that its a sinking ship. All of this Micro Transaction/Card Collecting Stuff obviously makes them money. A lot more money that just the sale of the game. Its this point that I think matters the most. They can afford to loose followers and buyers of the game like you and I, meaning basically just franchise players, because the average user will play the modes where they spend more than we would just buying the game.

So in the grand scheme of things. I think, to continue my analogy. The Ship is doing fine all told, it just has seemed to have left the dock without us on board.

Anyway thats just my two cents on the whole thing.

Appreciate you all

Peace

My heart and soul hurt for your lost presence in my life.

Last edited by Bullit; 08-01-2022 at 07:21 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-01-2022, 08:53 AM   #2
"ADAPT OR DIE"

jcar0725's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: My opinion on the "Current State" of MLB The Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullit
Hey, folks. Hope all is well. This originally started out as PM to Countryboy and then I decided to make it a thread and see where it went. Hope you all enjoy the ramblings of an old guy about a video game.

I have been watching OS and this forum pretty carefully this year.

I have noticed that even though the 'reach' of The Show has doubled the audience has not. While there has been an influx of new members contributing to this part of the Forum it is nowhere near what I thought it would be. Also the content of these new members has changed drastically from years past. There is actually very little talk of "real" Baseball or even the actually gameplay of Baseball. The majority of topics are "I have a problem/do you see this?" "I don't like the color of ......" or " I am starting my own thread on a topic that is pinned and already has four other posts talking about the same thing"

There are very few threads of people genuinely talking about the game or Rookies seeking advice or questions about the game both in reality or video game departments. Even the dedicated Franchise thread is not getting the traffic it used to.

I think even more telling is the gradual abandoning of the current game. The biggest on site contributors to this game, such as CB and Armor have both left the game to return to a previous version. Yet these posts going over this have not even reached into the double digits or have already fallen off the main page.

Then add in the almost complete destruction of the Roster Creators because of the removal of Carry Over Saves and it really does start to show a trend of where the game is headed. There is only one thread in the Roster section on the OS Full Minors and the list of created Rosters for '22 is empty even this late in the Summer. Bacon is gone. Heck even Caulfield does not post as much anymore.

What I am getting at in way too many words is that I think this all goes to the current state of the game. I am not saying by any means that its a sinking ship. All of this Micro Transaction/Card Collecting Stuff obviously makes them money. A lot more money that just the sale of the game. Its this point that I think matters the most. They can afford to loose followers and buyers of the game like you and I, meaning basically just franchise players, because the average user will play the modes where they spend more than we would just buying the game.

So in the grand scheme of things. I think, to continue my analogy. The Ship is doing fine all told, it just has seemed to have left the dock without us on board.

Anyway thats just my two cents on the whole thing.

Appreciate you all

Peace
I check the boards daily for anything interesting that's going on but not seeing much. I'm having a blast with the current game and have zero plans for going back to an earlier version. It doesn't mean I don't have a list of things I wish were improved.
Old 08-01-2022, 09:27 AM   #3
MVP

KnightTemplar's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcar0725
I check the boards daily for anything interesting that's going on but not seeing much. I'm having a blast with the current game and have zero plans for going back to an earlier version. It doesn't mean I don't have a list of things I wish were improved.
Yeah….I look around the boards everyday, but most of the topics don’t interest me. Seems it’s all been said and done before, so no need to chime in. How many times can you respond to, “I can’t hit with this last patch”?

There are some bothersome specifics for the hardcore franchise players, but I would guess many franchise players may not, may not, be as particular. I could never go back to 21, never. Could go back to 20 however.
Old 08-01-2022, 10:41 AM   #4
Rookie

hockeyyt988's Arena

OVR: 2

I love OS, many of my friends game but they don’t play the way I do. Meaning offline simulation and because of that, OS has always been a breath of fresh air.

I’m also getting older (34) and realize with wife, work and kids, I don’t nearly have as much time to game. I still do of course but time has been cut down.

I check the boards daily along with other places like Reddit. I got off social media so i told my wife “my Facebook is now my nerdy video game boards”.

One common thread in any video game forum is the desire for the game to improve. That’s the common gist. Some do that through childish ways while others do that constructively. OS is definitely the latter. 99% of the topics aren’t bashing the game as much as articulating improvements.

Even with OS being a great place for a sim head like myself, I realizing with my limited time I don’t always need to vent, comment or post about “how I would like to see this or that”. Personally, it sometimes takes the joy out of the game because you desire more. I’m not discouraging people from doing that of course, just saying why I don’t feel the need to always post, comment, engage.

All said, maybe there’s others like me out there and that’s why we’re seeing the “lack of posting” per say.

All I know is whether I post or not, I’ll always be checking OS ear to ground to see what others are saying, I just might not always feel the need to chime in on a redundant topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 08-01-2022, 10:54 AM   #5
MVP

DarthRambo's Arena

OVR: 20

With the cards I have a 90ovr team without buying or ever playing anything on DD. The game gives you rewards just by playing other modes. I play franchise only and almost have a full team of diamond cards. So I'm not really sure if they are making as much extra money as say Madden does. For Madden you HAVE to play the card game if you want better cards.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

https://www.youtube.com/DarthRambo
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-01-2022, 11:15 AM   #6
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

I really enjoyed MLB 22 for the most
part but there are some fundamental flaws under the hood particularly with the hitting engine and the lack of variability that slowly but surely chipped away at my initial enthusiasm.

In motion it is a gorgeous, smooth well playing game. I just prefer MLB 20 so we are back with 20 and I don’t see myself really ever leaving that game for a long time if ever. For me it has everything I want and my sheer enjoyment playing 20 cannot be overstated enough.

My enthusiasm for The Show is still very strong. It is hands down the best sports game I have ever played (MLB 20 and all prior titles going all the way back to 09 for me).

22 was a great rebound from my black sheep version which was 21. Nuff said on that one.

We are still having a ball streaming our long running Yankees Year 6 franchise which started back on MLB 17 as well as a plethora of classic roster content that has been built up since MLB 14.

That was the gut punch for a lot of us. All that content is timeless and AAA and if you are a PS4/PS5 player and love classic rosters and Bacon’s brilliant fictional universe, the clock is ticking on being able to DL all the content and back it up on a USB and in the cloud.

It is that good. And it will provide years and years of great times playing virtual baseball.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
NHL25 - Panthers YR1
Star Wars Outlaws

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Old 08-01-2022, 11:20 AM   #7
MVP

Madden08PCgmr's Arena

Very well said, Bullit.

I'll spare everyone the 12-paragraph rant, beacuse I've gone on a couple lately.

What I will remember most about this release is the grind for the Randy Johnson Signature card. (I've got 3 of the titans to go) I would have rather just paid $300 to unlock the card. I have wasted hours hitting meaningless homers and doubles. Its just not rewarding. Makes me question my intelligence.

Gameplay between the lines continues to improve. I think this is the best version yet, and its really not close. But I could go back to 18 and be completely satisfied. Or even 17 with Season mode.

Very much like the football game, I'll be content to stop at some point. If they don't bring back roster/franchise ports, that may very well be next year.

Last edited by Madden08PCgmr; 08-01-2022 at 11:22 AM.
Old 08-01-2022, 11:29 AM   #8
MVP

Madden08PCgmr's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSalsa
With the cards I have a 90ovr team without buying or ever playing anything on DD. The game gives you rewards just by playing other modes. I play franchise only and almost have a full team of diamond cards. So I'm not really sure if they are making as much extra money as say Madden does. For Madden you HAVE to play the card game if you want better cards.
I'm hoping they're treating the programs this year like a grand opening sale to draw people in.

This All-Star program feels like a trip to a brothel. Anyone can get the best cards for next to nothing... but you have to sell your firstborn to get Mike Trout??

Really the same deal for the Prospects program. Should Domiguez really be a 97? I get it, they're gonna pander to Yankees fans. And as a Julio fan, the appeal of playing with the next big thing is very real, but a 97? Again, just cheap.

This doesn't feel sustainable to me. And as you said, I haven't spent a dime this year. Haven't had to.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »