Home

New NBA 2K17 Patch: Expanded Dev Notes

This is a discussion on New NBA 2K17 Patch: Expanded Dev Notes within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 04-07-2017, 12:51 PM   #9
All Star

LionsFanNJ's Arena

OVR: 29
Thanks for the detailed breakdown Czar. Always on point.
Old 04-07-2017, 12:52 PM   #10
MVP

VAWereWolf65's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: New NBA 2K17 Patch: Expanded Dev Notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
This is a difficult one because depending on where the defense is and what they are doing you may want this. SO we tried to delay that cut when his man is double teaming. Too many situations for me to say definitively No it will never happen. We tried to mitigate it but it is not a 100% solution because there are times you will want him to cut so it will take more time to find the right balance.

We simple saw this as an issue and tried to add code to make it not happen as much in certain instances. It is not a perfect implementation but we tried our best to give you that option without breaking something else that depends on the cuts.
Just a thought, but maybe you could implement something with the Roll vs Pop tendency. So if they have a 0 in this tendency, they stay out the perimeter on doubles but if they have a higher tendency like 40-50 they cut to the paint or something like that
Old 04-07-2017, 12:52 PM   #11
Pro

Da_Czar - not sure if you can talk on it - but is speedboasting gone?. Or atleast decreased in efficnecy?. Hopefully that's the case.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-07-2017, 12:55 PM   #12
NBA 2K Gameplay Producer, Offensive AI System - SIM NATION

Da_Czar's Arena

OVR: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leasim96
Da_Czar - not sure if you can talk on it - but is speedboasting gone?. Or atleast decreased in efficnecy?. Hopefully that's the case.
I only worked on the AI stuff for the patch so Mike would have to answer that for you. I'm not exactly sure what all he got to touch and what effect the changes he made could have on speed boosting.
Catch me on that #SimNation #SimHangOut Friday's @ 10:00 pm est https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...N7yxMiElOpMl_B
Old 04-07-2017, 12:58 PM   #13
NBA 2K Gameplay Producer, Offensive AI System - SIM NATION

Da_Czar's Arena

OVR: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAWereWolf65
Just a thought, but maybe you could implement something with the Roll vs Pop tendency. So if they have a 0 in this tendency, they stay out the perimeter on doubles but if they have a higher tendency like 40-50 they cut to the paint or something like that
I like that. Looking at 2k18 we have more time for more robust solutions. The problem is even with that if the defender get's above your offensive player do you want the tendency to reign supreme regardless of the situation or do you want him to try to react intelligently ?
Catch me on that #SimNation #SimHangOut Friday's @ 10:00 pm est https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...N7yxMiElOpMl_B
Old 04-07-2017, 01:05 PM   #14
Rookie

jackzagal's Arena

Good stuff , this patch addressed two of the things that pissed me off the most, as I said here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackzagal
- Stupid and pointless double teams when a player hasn't even taken a shot in minutes. And along with that, improve the rotations of team mates so one can be open, instead of all of them "magically" making cuts that make no sense so you can't pass it to them properly.

- Unnecessary step-back jumpers by a CPU player whe he is WIDE OPEN for an easy shot. It's especially infuriating when it happens with players that are only catch-and-shoot shooters, but it happens with almost everyone. Even more stupid than double teams.

- Improve the AI defensive logic, especially on (supposedly) good defensive players. It's so frustrating to see people like Jimmy Butler or Justice Young ( 90+ defensive attributes) inexplicably go to the paint and leave players completely open; a few days ago while playing MC, Anthony Morrow nailed at least 3 wide-open threes on that kind of situations

- That stupid play when you make a steal and half a second later the opposite player magically recovers it, usually ending up in a foul and/or a basket. It started to happen really often since last few patches.
It would've been nice if you guys could've fixed the other two, but I'll be content with 2/4. If there's no more patches, I hope they're addressed for 2k18
Old 04-07-2017, 01:09 PM   #15
MVP

VAWereWolf65's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
I like that. Looking at 2k18 we have more time for more robust solutions. The problem is even with that if the defender get's above your offensive player do you want the tendency to reign supreme regardless of the situation or do you want him to try to react intelligently ?
It would be tough, but I think if you have someone like Ben Simmons who currently can't shoot to save his life (unless he's gotten better since we've seen him play) then i think he should cut no matter what the situation (unless he of course develops a shot, but this is just hypothetically speaking). But if you have Isaiah Thomas who's 5'9" with a 0 Roll vs Pop tendency and shooting a solid 38% from deep, he should stay out there no matter what. Then someone like Lebron or Jae Crowder who have 20-30 Roll vs Pop tendencies might be more likely to cut, but still have a good chance of staying out on the wing. I see where it could definetly be hard to find that sweet spot where the AI decides for them to cut or stay in the corner, but once you find that sweet spot i think it would definetly make the Offensive AI a lot more realistic.

Also, if the defense is completely covering them, I don't think the tendency should reign supreme in that situation, I think at that point the offensive player would have to cut or maybe do some type of rotation around the perimeter to try and get open.

You can see as soon as Draymond noticed the switch and the double, he went right to the basket because he wasn't covered at all by the defense. Bogut also made the cut when he realized his man had rotated over to defend draymond and he was able to catch the lob (or rebound, i couldn't tell what it was). During all of this, Harrison Barnes (a good three point shooter) stayed out on the corner even when his man left him. As did Klay Thompson who is a good cutter, but obviously is a better shooter.

Last edited by VAWereWolf65; 04-07-2017 at 01:25 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-07-2017, 01:31 PM   #16
Banned

this is all nice but its useless when your game takes 15 minutes to start only to stall at the load career screen and it takes another 30 minutes to clear reserved space and download it again.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »