Home

R.B.I. Baseball 17: Remarkably Less to Offer Than Before

This is a discussion on R.B.I. Baseball 17: Remarkably Less to Offer Than Before within the Other Baseball Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 04-05-2017, 12:58 PM   #9
Pro

bxphenom7's Arena

OVR: 9
My condolences to Xbox users. You'd really think EA would make an exclusive MVP game on Xbox.
Old 04-05-2017, 01:12 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 5
I'd rather boot up RBI Baseball on my NES than play this version.
Old 04-05-2017, 03:02 PM   #11

dubcity's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: R.B.I. Baseball 17: Remarkably Less to Offer Than Before

Well, at least the grass is a deeper green than The Show. That's about the only advantage they have. RBI 16 was good for only about 2-3 weeks of entertainment for me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-06-2017, 07:31 AM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 0
I'm going to be frank and honest... The game is atrocious. Absolutely horrendous.

The first sign for me that gave it away was that they took it off PC Steam. I always look at that first. It tells me whether a company can take the heat. They got absolutely ripped apart on the Steam boards and couldn't take the heat. Any excuse about piracy and sales is nothing but hogwash. Taking it off Steam doesn't increase sales elsewhere. They just couldn't take the criticism as the PC crowd is the most finicky and demanding of all, as Steam gets tons of games released daily so the competition is enormous. They are a finicky bunch and very vocal.

If you can't take the heat, there is only one thing to do... Get outta the kitchen.

It's neither a fun arcade experience nor a sim experience. And no online to boot. Absolutely atrocious game.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:41 AM   #13
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46

Really liked 16. Did a good job of being what it was (another fast paced, arcade game with some sim aspects), not what others thought it should be (a boring failed attempt of The Show).

But 17 looks like more of the same. The requests gamers made were never commented on or added, it appears. What good is multiple seasons if you can't age players or at least have free agency?

Really disappointing. Great effort last year. Not sure what happened this season.
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer
Old 04-12-2017, 03:05 PM   #14
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheredia
how are they still able to release this game? it hasn't improved at all....just give the MLB license to super mega baseball 2 already.
According to Ramone Russell, it is up for grabs for anybody to use. Gotta pay some royalties to use it, but still.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 04-12-2017, 04:07 PM   #15
MVP

strawberryshortcake's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubcity
Well, at least the grass is a deeper green than The Show. That's about the only advantage they have. RBI 16 was good for only about 2-3 weeks of entertainment for me.
Been playing the iOS 17' version for the past week (never tried 16'), and truthfully, quite a few of the animations (this is not the same as graphics) are better than MLB the Show. Yes, I am serious because I was actually shockingly amazed and impressed.

This is especially true when it comes to the outfielder's animations. RBI's outfielder's charging the ball, their gather steps, finding their footing when fielding the ball, their footwork when charging the ball, gathering their footsteps near the wall, gathering their footsteps tracking the ball, outfielder's throwing motion, running motion, proper small crow hops allowing the fielder to throw the ball a farther distance, taking small steps fielding front bloopers, transition animations from fielding to throwing the ball back towards the infield is incredibly beautiful. How the outfielder's upper body twist, leans, angles with respect to the lower body, and throwing motion was pretty impressive.

Another thing that was a very pleasant surprise was the way fielding errors were handled. They felt and looked much more organic than how they're handled in MLB the Show. When the fielder botches the ball, one is still quickly able to maneuver the player to field the ball without a sort of force field so to speak. It's not just about the speed at which the user is able to control the situation with the controller, but the way the "animation" plays out looks much more real. The recovery footwork, and how the body twist and moves, and how the player throws the ball is simply beautiful.

Pitching animation also has a better speed to their motions/movement. Some of the pitchers actually tuck their glove side arm toward their bodies in RBI. The speed of the arm whip works very well.

These are the top three things that stick out because I am still seeing the same legacy concern with MLB the Show in their fielder's throwing animation, pitching animation, and finding the ball when the fielder botches the ball.
Madden/Live Animations Walking, Throwing

Last edited by strawberryshortcake; 04-12-2017 at 04:10 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-12-2017, 04:07 PM   #16
MVP

omega412930's Arena

OVR: 5

The other alternative xbox owners have is to find a cheap 360 with mlb 2k13, plug the 360 into ur xbox one via hdmi passthrough and run it on ur console that way if u wanna feel connected using ur xbox one. Then download my 2k13 2017 roster set.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Operation Sports mobile app

NHL - New Jersey Devils
NFL - Dallas Cowboys
MLB - Philadelphia Phillies
NBA - Brooklyn Nets
NCAAF - Oregon Ducks
NCAAB - Duke Blue Devils

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games »