Home

Throwback Thursday: MVP 2005

This is a discussion on Throwback Thursday: MVP 2005 within the MVP MLB Baseball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MVP MLB Baseball
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 10-13-2016, 02:33 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Throwback Thursday: MVP 2005

In celebration of the captivating MLB postseason, this week’s Throwback Thursday focuses on a particular baseball game many consider not only as the best baseball game of all-time, but one of the greatest games ever made.

Read More - Throwback Thursday: MVP 2005
Platform: PC / PS2 / Xbox
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-13-2016, 02:57 PM   #2

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: Throwback Thursday: MVP 2005

Even all these years later, still consider it one of best games ever. Sure, by todays standards it's unfair at times to compare certain aspects since todays systems have so much more memory, and can do so much more things, but for MVP Baseball 2005, there's still so much from it that games today don't have.

The soundtrack alone I think is one of(if not the) best soundtracks ever on a sports game. And who can forget about the minigames. Batting practice while having to hit the ball towards a certain direction, avoiding obstacles, lining it up a ramp, over a car, bouncing off a trailer over the fence lol. A minigame mode that was so fun, at times I only even played MVP Baseball that day for the minigames.

All these "throwback thursday" articles is making me miss video games lol. I'm "retired" from console games for the most part, but always fun to look back on games like this and remember just how much I loved playing it. I spent so much time during summer vacation doing nothing but playing MVP Baseball 2005 lol. I was already a big baseball fan by then, but this game singlehandedly made my interest in baseball grow so much more.

As you can tell from my join date, this game is really the big reason why I even joined OS in the first place. Needing a good place for "CAPs",equipment edits, among other things, came here to find it. FFG shut down so this was all I had left to use.

Last edited by Majingir; 10-13-2016 at 03:16 PM.
Old 10-13-2016, 03:09 PM   #3
MVP

DBMcGee3's Arena

OVR: 7
Man, I'll never forget this game. I would spend hours just playing the mini games. The hitting was SO hard, but when you read a breaking pitch right and made perfect contact, it was the best feeling I've possibly ever had in a sports game.
Old 10-13-2016, 04:48 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0
Still the best baseball game ever made. I have tried for years to get into The Show because I think their hearts are in the right place as far as including the fine details and nuances of the game, but the true issue lies in the gameplay.

I think you put it perfectly in that MVP was the perfect mix of "sim and arcade". Hitter's eye made the game incredibly fun, it always felt like you had control over where you wanted to hit the ball to, the defensive controls were fantastic and responsive, and the games were quick and exciting. Add in the fantastic commentary team, an amazing soundtrack, addicting mini-games, a points system that actually works, and an incredible Owner Mode, and you have yourself an all-time classic.

I still find it almost comical that EA hasn't brought a baseball game back yet. I honestly bought a PS4 this console generation just to have a baseball game again. You would think EA would recognize that there still is a market for baseball games, especially on Microsoft.

EA, bring baseball back. We know you love basketball, but come on. You already have the formula. Update the graphics, add in some new physics, and you have yourself a franchise again.
Old 10-13-2016, 05:41 PM   #5
DJ2K

mb625's Arena

OVR: 18
My takeaway from watching the video within the article: "Man... I forgot how big Sidney Ponson was."
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-13-2016, 05:56 PM   #6
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

OVR: 42
Still the best hitting controls in a baseball game. Left stick directs the hit, time it with the button press.
Old 10-13-2016, 06:11 PM   #7
Pro

Retropyro's Arena

OVR: 8
The Golden Years of Sports Gaming - 98/99 through 07/08
Old 10-13-2016, 06:34 PM   #8
NL MVP

Sportsforever's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: Throwback Thursday: MVP 2005

I still have my MVP2005 PC game in the box/with instructions. The PC mods were awesome...I agree this along with High Heat were the two best games of that era (with a nod to ASB).

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MVP MLB Baseball »