Home

MLB, Just Like The Show, Concerned About Time It Takes to Finish A Game

This is a discussion on MLB, Just Like The Show, Concerned About Time It Takes to Finish A Game within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 08-01-2016, 05:39 PM   #57
№¹ Bad Boy.

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: MLB, Just Like The Show, Concerned About Time It Takes to Finish A Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinpanalley
There are two reasons the game feels like it takes too long (in my opinion) and it has very little to do with the duration of inividual games.
1. Part of it has to do with the season being about 50-60 games too long. (Personally, I think the game could easily run from May to August with the playoffs in September). If the season was shorter people wouldn't have as big of a problem with indivisual game duration because more games would actually MEAN something. As it stands, if you're not in a playoff push, your season is done in July. And even for teams that are in a race, losing an entire series doesn't REALLY kill you until September. Not to mention the fact that the four game is ridiculous when it can (and often does) end in a tie. Season's just too long. And if it was shorter people would get more into it. The most exciting NHL season of the last 10-15 years was the shortened season after the strike because most teams were in it until very late.
Spot on.
The amount of games is probably the single biggest factor. If MLB teams played a 20 game season, every one would be must-see TV. And if the NFL played a 40 game season, the NFL would be no more releveant or compelling than the NBA.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:51 AM   #58
MVP

OVR: 6

i love baseball. Don't change a damn thing. If they don't like it the game isn't really for them then.
This game was built to have a variety of lengths
And built to be a marathon season with games almost everyday.
The teams wouldn't make any money with shortened seasons. Unless you want ticket prices at 500$ or maybe the players will just accept they can't make 25 million a season anymore.
Old 10-10-2016, 02:07 PM   #59
Rookie

Games back in the 70's were good because we had less commercials back then. It's all about the money and always will be folks.
Old 10-10-2016, 02:12 PM   #60

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman23
Games back in the 70's were good because we had less commercials back then. It's all about the money and always will be folks.
Commercials have nothing to do with it in baseball. Commercials happen when there is already no play going on (in between innings when the pitcher is warming up).

You will never go to a baseball game and see an umpire holding up play because they are waiting for a commercial to end like you will see with football and hockey.
Old 10-10-2016, 02:19 PM   #61
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

It is society. Impatient, instant gratification society.

The MLB season is a journey. The game of baseball is a litany of ups and downs, streaks, slumps, injuires, kids breaking out, being called up, sent down, guys hanging on for dear life to the game they played as kid and have been playing practically their entire natural life.

Don't change a thing. Baseball is doing fine. I love this game to death. Every pitch, you never know what will happen next. You can be in a 5-0 game going to the bottom of the 9th. A dribbler is hit, fielder makes a throwing error. Next guy get's a base hit, then a walk, then a single....it's 5-1. Closer enters the game, then the kid who was called three nights ago as an inujury replacement comes up and pinch hits for the pitcher and getting his first major league at bat.....bombs a grand slam to tie the game.

Just like that....we go to extra innings. What a story.

Only in baseball folks.

Leave the game alone.
NHL25 - Panthers YR1
Star Wars Outlaws

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-10-2016, 05:43 PM   #62
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
Commercials have nothing to do with it in baseball. Commercials happen when there is already no play going on (in between innings when the pitcher is warming up).

You will never go to a baseball game and see an umpire holding up play because they are waiting for a commercial to end like you will see with football and hockey.
You want to bet? Their is a clock at Yankee Stadium behind the left field bleachers that counts down the minutes or seconds for a commercial break. This way the home plate umpire knows when to resume play. Their are way more commercials now then their used to be 40 years ago.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 10-10-2016, 05:58 PM   #63

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41
MLB, Just Like The Show, Concerned About Time It Takes to Finish A Game

Quote:
You want to bet? Their is a clock at Yankee Stadium behind the left field bleachers that counts down the minutes or seconds for a commercial break. This way the home plate umpire knows when to resume play. Their are way more commercials now then their used to be 40 years ago.

Lol, that just proves my point.

Feel free to show me an example of a time when the umpire held up play for the commercial break to end. Would love to see it.

Last edited by kehlis; 10-10-2016 at 06:02 PM.
Old 10-10-2016, 11:30 PM   #64
Rookie

Margelofskya's Arena

Quote:

That clock is to let the Umpire know how long the pitcher has to warm up before he can signal time to play. Has nothing to do with commercials, pitchers need there time to warm up.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »