Home

PES 2017: Impressions of the Demo

This is a discussion on PES 2017: Impressions of the Demo within the eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-01-2016, 05:58 PM   #17
Pro

Josam27o7's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: PES 2017: Impressions of the Demo

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion523
1) The referees, yes they are "better" but it doesn't take much to be better than nonexistent. In reality, the referees are still bad, calling only the most egregious fouls.

2) The defending AI remains a weak point, with too much space being given up all over the pitch, because of this most games devolve into back and forth ping pong affairs(the assisted passing also admittedly plays a role)

3) The game's physics remains well behind other sports games, nothing has any weight!
3) Physics - I heard Matt10 say in one of his videos that PES 17 has such amazing physics he is having a hard time putting down the game. And yet you say there are barely any physics? Btw, PES 17 on -2 gamespeed has light years more weight than Madden 17 (which still remains laughably floaty (even on the "very slow" setting) -- the PS2 era of Madden had tons more feeling of being grounded).

2) Defending AI- It is ridiculous to judge this game on its default settings. Why don't you do the same with FIFA? Seems you have an ulterior motive... bc if you were fair with this game, like I am, you would have done what I did which is play on -2 gamespeed, full manual passing. On these settings, after the "demo patch for positioning" this game is highly tactical.

1) Refs - They call only the most egregious fouls? Huh? I have seen tons of fouls called for little pushes, or a foot stuck in slightly wrong, or a ref falling for a player faking contact drawing a foul.

Last edited by Josam27o7; 09-01-2016 at 06:04 PM.
Old 09-01-2016, 07:07 PM   #18
Rookie

half-fast's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josam27o7
3) Physics - I heard Matt10 say in one of his videos that PES 17 has such amazing physics he is having a hard time putting down the game. And yet you say there are barely any physics? Btw, PES 17 on -2 gamespeed has light years more weight than Madden 17 (which still remains laughably floaty (even on the "very slow" setting) -- the PS2 era of Madden had tons more feeling of being grounded).

2) Defending AI- It is ridiculous to judge this game on its default settings. Why don't you do the same with FIFA? Seems you have an ulterior motive... bc if you were fair with this game, like I am, you would have done what I did which is play on -2 gamespeed, full manual passing. On these settings, after the "demo patch for positioning" this game is highly tactical.

1) Refs - They call only the most egregious fouls? Huh? I have seen tons of fouls called for little pushes, or a foot stuck in slightly wrong, or a ref falling for a player faking contact drawing a foul.
3) I always value Matt's opinion, and enjoy reading his posts and watching his videos. I have to say, imo, physics are there in large form or non existent, dependent on what youre talking about. Players definitely have weight, and collision detection that I've seen during fouls shows this. The ball has new physics, but as a computer programmer myself, they feel hard-coded in to simulate basic physics. In other words, I feel the ball physics are fairly poor overall. Certain shots look and feel great, while others feel like they did last year.

1) I agree, I've seen fouls called for minor pushes, tho not often. Another thing I've seen is what seems like wrong calls that are so close, a real ref would miss it, or mistake what happened and make the wrong call. That, I like, but the refs need a slight bit more tuning imo, no doubt.
Old 09-01-2016, 07:10 PM   #19
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:

I like Madden 17 but the player weight comment is dead-on. There are a lot of times in Madden where I don't even feel like I have control of my players, especially WR's after they make a catch.
Old 09-01-2016, 08:15 PM   #20
Pro

Josam27o7's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by half-fast
3) I always value Matt's opinion, and enjoy reading his posts and watching his videos. I have to say, imo, physics are there in large form or non existent, dependent on what youre talking about. Players definitely have weight, and collision detection that I've seen during fouls shows this. The ball has new physics, but as a computer programmer myself, they feel hard-coded in to simulate basic physics. In other words, I feel the ball physics are fairly poor overall. Certain shots look and feel great, while others feel like they did last year.

1) I agree, I've seen fouls called for minor pushes, tho not often. Another thing I've seen is what seems like wrong calls that are so close, a real ref would miss it, or mistake what happened and make the wrong call. That, I like, but the refs need a slight bit more tuning imo, no doubt.
3) I agree with your point on ball physics having a sense that they are being simulated. But, since it is quite varied it isn't bothersome -- in essence having great variety in a simulation can make it seem like a true ball-physics system. And that's why I think the ball physics don't hurt the game.

Last edited by Josam27o7; 09-01-2016 at 08:24 PM.
Old 09-01-2016, 08:38 PM   #21
Pro

JimmyDeicide's Arena

OVR: 5

Fouls are heavy in favor of the AI not enough called for human.
Might get old.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-01-2016, 08:59 PM   #22
All Star

orion523's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:

As far as physics, I'm talking about foot planting, inertia, things like that. In PES, every player feels loose, they turn on a dime and shoot without effort, missed tackles mean nothing, because defenders easily sprint back without penalty. That's the physics I'm talking about.
As for the refs, I stand by what I said, the CPU is rarely called for fouls that are not cards. Also there are no 50/50 calls. It's simply ignored. Also, don't think I've ever seen advantage played in any of my games with the demo.
And yes, I do judge FIFA but default manual settings. As for an ulterior motive, that's downright silly. I'm 45 years old, fanboyism passed me by years ago. I call them like I see them. Don't really care who agrees, disagrees, gets their feathers ruffled or whatever. Yes I have preferred FIFA over the past several years(since at least 11), but f there ever came a time where I felt PES offers a better overall product, overall now, I'd jump ship. From what I've seen thus far, not this year.
Old 09-02-2016, 04:43 AM   #23
Pro

OVR: 0

Hi Orion!

As far as I can remember you were not particularly positive about fifa16 neither, right?
Old 09-02-2016, 08:49 AM   #24
MVP

DBMcGee3's Arena

OVR: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubcity
That's an exaggeration. Bundesliga will (I'm assuming) have all their kits, but 98% of the players will have generic faces because they will have to be created one by one by whoever is generous enough with their time to create and share them for free. Same with any other league that isn't already in the game in some form or another. It's why I always roll my eyes when people talk about including the MLS in an option file.
Fair enough, but I feel like FIFA has the same problems when you're playing with many of the lesser known teams. Lots of generic looking faces that stick out like a sore thumb when compared to the quality scans.

It should also be noted that, while their post launch support comes up short in many areas, at least Konami patches in new face scans from time to time. How long has FIFA been rolling with that ridiculously inaccurate David Silva face now? I usually get my option files from Daymos, and to me he does an adequate job of updating player info and likenesses over the course of the season.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer »