Home

PES 2017: Impressions of the Demo

This is a discussion on PES 2017: Impressions of the Demo within the eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-01-2016, 12:39 PM   #9
MVP

BL8001's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: PES 2017: Impressions of the Demo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrash13
I'm not at home right now, but how do you switch to manual passing? I thought I looked all the settings, but obviously I didn't because I don't remember seeing that option. I'm still not very good, but I'd like to play the game at its best!

Move pass support in data settings to off

Last edited by BL8001; 09-01-2016 at 02:35 PM.
Old 09-01-2016, 02:12 PM   #10

dubcity's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BL8001
Move pass support in data settings to off
Most people picking up the game aren't going to play manual, and no one online does. Can't just aim these reviews towards us sim players who spend days and days messing with tactics and player positioning. We're a small small minority on PES and FIFA.
Old 09-01-2016, 02:23 PM   #11
Pro

stevostl's Arena

yeah I hope the devs do not change anything with the gameplay in the demo except one of 2 things..

a)make pass assist 1 more difficult
or
b)force everyone online in divs and myclub to play with manual pass

either way.. I will still use manual vs pass assist 1 or higher users online..
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-01-2016, 03:52 PM   #12
All Star

orion523's Arena

OVR: 21
I hate to be the party pooper here, but after last year, when just about every reviewer of note gave a seriously flawed game glowing reviews, I cannot keep my teeth in my mouth.
First and foremost, PES is woefully shallow, in that there are very few leagues in which to compete, and the ones that are there are mainly unlicensed, forcing the user into countless hours of editing, if of course they own a PS4, XB1 is stuck with Merseyside Blue.
The referees, yes they are "better" but it doesn't take much to be better than nonexistent. In reality, the referees are still bad, calling only the most egregious fouls.
The defending AI remains a weak point, with too much space being given up all over the pitch, because of this most games devolve into back and forth ping pong affairs(the assisted passing also admittedly plays a role)
Keepers are seemingly improved, yet I'm still seeing far too many goals in with relation to shots on target. The game's physics remains well behind other sports games, nothing has any weight!
Finally, the interface, menus, and most likely the commentary are/will be woeful.
Of course there are good point as well, player ID is stellar, graphics are good, AI plays a varied game depending on club, all the usual PES strong points.
For years,this game has skated by on the nostalgia of a certain segment of the footy community, those who live and die with PES regardless of its flaws. Hell they even have former fans working for them now, perpetuating that myth. They'll be banging the drum hard for the next few weeks, PES is back! PES is back! Don't fall for it. This is once again a middling game being held back by its own large shadow.
Old 09-01-2016, 04:12 PM   #13
MVP

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion523
I hate to be the party pooper here, but after last year, when just about every reviewer of note gave a seriously flawed game glowing reviews, I cannot keep my teeth in my mouth.
First and foremost, PES is woefully shallow, in that there are very few leagues in which to compete, and the ones that are there are mainly unlicensed, forcing the user into countless hours of editing, if of course they own a PS4, XB1 is stuck with Merseyside Blue.
The referees, yes they are "better" but it doesn't take much to be better than nonexistent. In reality, the referees are still bad, calling only the most egregious fouls.
The defending AI remains a weak point, with too much space being given up all over the pitch, because of this most games devolve into back and forth ping pong affairs(the assisted passing also admittedly plays a role)
Keepers are seemingly improved, yet I'm still seeing far too many goals in with relation to shots on target. The game's physics remains well behind other sports games, nothing has any weight!
Finally, the interface, menus, and most likely the commentary are/will be woeful.
Of course there are good point as well, player ID is stellar, graphics are good, AI plays a varied game depending on club, all the usual PES strong points.
For years,this game has skated by on the nostalgia of a certain segment of the footy community, those who live and die with PES regardless of its flaws. Hell they even have former fans working for them now, perpetuating that myth. They'll be banging the drum hard for the next few weeks, PES is back! PES is back! Don't fall for it. This is once again a middling game being held back by its own large shadow.
Since PES 2011 every year this would be true. Not this year, the game as flaws, like FIFA does, but in the main aspect of the game, inside the pitch, is miles better than anything we have ever had.

I would rather play PES 17 demo for a year, than playing the full FIFA 16, there is more variety in play in this demo, than the entire robotic FIFA 16 A.I.

Of course, FIFA 17 could very well beat all this, letīs see...
Old 09-01-2016, 04:18 PM   #14
MVP

DBMcGee3's Arena

OVR: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion523
Totally respect your opinion, although I'd have to disagree with your first couple of points. Sure, it's nice to have all the licenses right out of the box, but with Option Files being available again this year for PS4, you're talking about a 10 minute process to get all the European leagues "licensed". Further, many option file makers do edits to players and tactics as well, resulting in an even more varied experience from game to game, something that FIFA can never seem to get right. If you're on XB1 you should probably just avoid PES altogether though, it looks awful by comparison.

The referees are FAR better than last year's PES, even better than those in FIFA 16, and to say they only call the most egregious fouls simply isn't true. I've seen lots of fouls called on standing tackles and shoulder barges, as well as obviously bad slide tackles. I had Atletico pick up 8 fouls and 4 yellow cards in a 10 minute game last night.

I completely agree that PES was waaaaaay overrated last year, but they've fixed several of the biggest flaws. If they could nerf the shooting and make the dribbling more dynamic, I'd have a hard time nitpicking.
Old 09-01-2016, 04:37 PM   #15

dubcity's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBMcGee3
Sure, it's nice to have all the licenses right out of the box, but with Option Files being available again this year for PS4, you're talking about a 10 minute process to get all the European leagues "licensed".
That's an exaggeration. Bundesliga will (I'm assuming) have all their kits, but 98% of the players will have generic faces because they will have to be created one by one by whoever is generous enough with their time to create and share them for free. Same with any other league that isn't already in the game in some form or another. It's why I always roll my eyes when people talk about including the MLS in an option file.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-01-2016, 04:51 PM   #16
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunogomes
I would rather play PES 17 demo for a year, than playing the full FIFA 16, there is more variety in play in this demo, than the entire robotic FIFA 16 A.I.
Amen!!!!!!

I would not be surprised if a large part of the off line fifa community make the jump to PES this year. It is surely what I will do.

Last edited by papinho81; 09-01-2016 at 04:53 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer »