Home

MLB, Just Like The Show, Concerned About Time It Takes to Finish A Game

This is a discussion on MLB, Just Like The Show, Concerned About Time It Takes to Finish A Game within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 05-19-2016, 04:00 AM   #33
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: MLB, Just Like The Show, Concerned About Time It Takes to Finish A Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by baconbits11
Dice huh? That might open the door for Pete Rose to get back in.

Or at least start a business and be the official supplier and sponsor of the "Count Dice".

The "1" can have a his mug shot on that face instead of the single pip.

Maybe he can do the first roll in Cincy, too.
Old 05-19-2016, 10:54 AM   #34
Rookie

OVR: 1
Leave the game alone. It's all about the networks, they are the ones complaining games take too long. Professional baseball has been played for nearly 150 years now and to me, it's one of the most beautiful games you can play or watch. Just let 'em play. (I do occasionally get miffed when a manger will make three pitching changes in one inning to face three hitters, LOL).
Old 05-19-2016, 11:03 AM   #35
Rookie

wutangfourever's Arena

OVR: 0
How about a shorter timer between innings instead of pitches, cutting down all the commercials every three outs would speed up the time of watching a game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-19-2016, 11:43 AM   #36
All Star

My observation about length of games is this - it was not a problem for about 100 years but now with the short attention span a lot of people have they want to speed up a game which has no clock.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:35 PM   #37
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
My observation about length of games is this - it was not a problem for about 100 years but now with the short attention span a lot of people have they want to speed up a game which has no clock.

And it really doesn't take that much longer than NFL football games, and those have a clock.
Old 05-19-2016, 02:24 PM   #38
-Mets-Jets-Knicks-

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

MLB can reduce game times any time they're ready. Right now they're not serious about reducing game times. It's all lip service. Offense is what owners think ****** fans care most about, & there is a whole hell lot more ****** fans than hardcore fans. When MLB is really ready to get games to under 2&half hours, they can raise the mound back to 15 to inches (mound height from 1903-1968) from the current 10 inch height limit. Getting rid of the DH could also help, though not drastically. The problem is it normally takes 20 minutes to play an inning & if MLB can get that down to 15 minutes, I think they'll have what they want.
#44Syracuse

No animals were harmed in the crafting of this signature.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:41 PM   #39
All Star

TarHeelPhenom's Arena

OVR: 10

The issue for me in all 3 major sports are the tv timeouts. I understand that advertising helps to pay the bills...but i hate being at a college football game and the action having to be stopped due to tv timeouts...you add to that how long it takes for replays and such...and a game that used to last 2 hours is now a 3+ hour game. As for baseball, growing up baseball was my favorite sport. I couldnt get enough of it and it didnt matter how long it took. But now, at age 40, maybe my attention span is not as long anymore; but it just seems like games are way longer than it used to be. Playing The Show on broadcast w/o QC's and the game lasts 2 hours...and this is a video game!! I would love to play this game to its fulness...but with limited time as a family man and having a fulltime job, in order for me to maximize my playing time, i have to use QC's and skip some cutscenes. I appreciate Sony for considering that.
Old 05-20-2016, 08:33 AM   #40
Banned

OVR: 21

Yep..it all comes down to tv commercials. They pay the rent for the stations/clubs so a huge source of revenue.

When I was a kid back in the 60's, there was a 30 second or 60 second commercial between innings. That was it. Same thing for regular tv shows. For the most part, games started at 2pm and were done before 4:30pm. Now, you get 3, 4, 5 or more commercials strung back to back. It's maddening.

Will it change? Nope. Even if MLB "speeds up" the game while on the field, the tv timeouts will continue to be the main culprit.

C

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »