Home

Do You Care About Dangerous Hits in Madden?

This is a discussion on Do You Care About Dangerous Hits in Madden? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 04-26-2016, 11:23 AM   #41
Banned

OVR: 1
Re: Do You Care About Dangerous Hits in Madden?

What dangerous hits? In Madden, the players rarely even make actual contact with each other:

And when they do, it's only done barely, so barely that the hit reaction is totally over the top:

Even the WWE is more believable. What's crazy is that I thought real-time physics were supposed to eliminate that, and if I recall in Madden 12 (before Madden had RTP) the collision detection was way more precise to the point that it was impressive. How did they manage to add RTP and go backwards? Even with BackBreaker, a complete garbage game, the players were making actual contact.

Last edited by Gridiron; 04-26-2016 at 01:24 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-26-2016, 12:46 PM   #42

OVR: 34
I feel like Madden 16 is the best Madden yet (in terms of physics). It has been a long time coming too. And, I am concerned that they can't handle it. I don't mean to be disrespectful towards developers etc.. I just don't trust that EA Sports can handle incorporating illegal hits and then having the refs throwing a flag for such things. So, I'd rather see them continue to polish physics and continue to build on what they have right now, then to veer off an include an illegal hit system. And I certainly don't want to see the game go back to defenders rolling off of players instead of tackling.

I also feel like the article leans towards making a big deal out of nothing. How many of us play this game and seriously think this is a major issue? "The days of" rant is a bit much for me. Is this something to be that passionate about?
Old 04-26-2016, 01:34 PM   #43
Banned

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDQ
I feel like Madden 16 is the best Madden yet (in terms of physics). It has been a long time coming too. And, I am concerned that they can't handle it. I don't mean to be disrespectful towards developers etc.. I just don't trust that EA Sports can handle incorporating illegal hits and then having the refs throwing a flag for such things. So, I'd rather see them continue to polish physics and continue to build on what they have right now, then to veer off an include an illegal hit system. And I certainly don't want to see the game go back to defenders rolling off of players instead of tackling.

I also feel like the article leans towards making a big deal out of nothing. How many of us play this game and seriously think this is a major issue? "The days of" rant is a bit much for me. Is this something to be that passionate about?
Hmmmm. I think the lack of actual contact on hits, combined with the lack of wrapping up and using proper leverage that you have to in order to bring down a grown man, are all issues to be concerned with in this game. There are so many hits where a guy just runs into a guy or pushes him down, or shoulder shrugs a big hit instead of actually tackling. I just wonder how they look at that stuff internally and go "Yep, that's a wrap. We nailed it, put that in."

I just want to see hits and basic tackles I actually see in real life, and Madden does have some, just too few of them because either the hit itself is often unrealistic or the reaction to the hit is unrealistic.
Old 04-26-2016, 02:20 PM   #44
MVP

SolidSquid's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridiron
What dangerous hits? In Madden, the players rarely even make actual contact with each other:

And when they do, it's only done barely, so barely that the hit reaction is totally over the top:

Even the WWE is more believable. What's crazy is that I thought real-time physics were supposed to eliminate that, and if I recall in Madden 12 (before Madden had RTP) the collision detection was way more precise to the point that it was impressive. How did they manage to add RTP and go backwards? Even with BackBreaker, a complete garbage game, the players were making actual contact.
This is because weight and momentum still don't matter. It's why a cornerback can take on any RB with a full head of steam and bring him down. Once players are in that "contact zone" the animations take over.
Old 04-26-2016, 02:26 PM   #45
Aqua?!

bigd51's Arena

I'll say it never crossed my mind until reading this article.

I'll also say, another reason I don't care about the welfare of the players in Madden is because EA does a horrendous job of making me care about them in the first place, outside of some numbers.

These guys don't give interviews, randomly jump over fences in their spare time to throw a ball around with some school yard kids on recess, they don't get suspended for anything, "news" about the players/hall of fame votes/retiring players is constricted to one, maybe two, extremely vague sentences about how long they played but not why they were considered a Hall of Famer, no news about charitable work.

The entire game just has zero character. None. And I'm not talking about gameplay presentation, either. I don't give a mess about on field cutscenes and highlights and all that jazz. I'm talking about presentation and immersion outside of gameplay. These players are completely lifeless off the field, so why should I care about their life on it?

So, no, the hits don't bother me because of "safety" concerns. What does offend me about those gif's in the OP, especially in the last gif, is how insanely stupid those players look around the pile and how anytime physics takes over instead of an animation, the player loses every ounce of motor function and simply topple over like a wilted flower.

You either have physics take over and see players tossing themselves carelessly around like fish jumping out of water, or you have animations take over and see players B-lining to the ballcarrier at mach speed only to instantly lose all momentum by getting sucked into a gang tackling animation. There has to be a way to utilize both, cohesively. Like physics takes over from the point of contact based on speed and direction to determine which way momentum will take the ballcarriers, then after like a split second, animations take over so players can take back control of their limbs to finish the process with all motor function intact. Only that would need an extensive animation library, much more than the one they have now, I would assume. Or it may just not be that time for sports games yet.

I don't know if they could, or even have the slightest idea how they could... but I hope they figure out something because the ragdoll affect is killing it for me right now.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-26-2016, 02:27 PM   #46
MVP

howboutdat's Arena

OVR: 4

I agree .Its not about bashing, because i think most of us get it, the real reason big hits arent in the game anymore is because the NFL dont want them in there, due to the concusion issues in real life and they dont want someone claiming they in any way , shape, or form are "glorifying" them as some have called it by allowing it in a video game with their name on it.

If we are being real for a minute, who here does not like to see a good hard hit in real life NFL? Not talking about the Burfict type illegal hit on defenseless player( which is just being a sorry human being), but just a dang good hard hit tackle on a guy?( Like Kam did to Megatron this past year) Its one of the reasons we watch football, and if it turns into flag football, no one will watch that crap to see the "chess match" i can bet you on that.

I dont see why we cant have hard hits with the hit stick, Just make them legal hits, but give them some dang force and end this watered down tackling, or worse the warp tackling BS that somehow made its way back into this game this year after some patches.

What makes me mad is , the legal hard hits have been taken away from the game, due to the real life concussion issues.That should not be the case.I do feel bad for those real life players, that doesnt mean i want a watered down game, that basically is causing wonky animations to keep things from looking like people are being hit too hard.There has to be a balance somewhere. Just wish they would find it and bring back big hits to the game. Its always been a part of real football and the day its fully taken away, its not football anymore, its sarcastaball . http://southpark.cc.com/clips/k9a8o3...t-sarcastaball

Twitter
Twitch Channel
MBC Twitch Channel
Old 04-26-2016, 02:51 PM   #47
Aqua?!

bigd51's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by howboutdat
If we are being real for a minute, who here does not like to see a good hard hit in real life NFL?
Like this thing of beauty:

All the way down to the way he seamlessly glides off Johnson and uses his hands to push himself up. This would be the perfect example I would use in regard to what I was saying about physics and animations being used cohesively.
Old 04-26-2016, 02:57 PM   #48
MVP

howboutdat's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd51
Like this thing of beauty:

All the way down to the way he seamlessly glides off Johnson and uses his hands to push himself up. This would be the perfect example I would use in regard to what I was saying about physics and animations being used cohesively.

Agreed , thats football and why we watch.Now someone some me how often that happens in madden.... ill go make dinner real quick and figure out nuclear fission while im at it waiting to see it.

To answer the title of the thread though,Do i care about dangerous hits in a video game thoug?To be honest , no. I care as much about it as i care about senseless acts of violence in a video game such as GTA. To me its nothing real about it, it carries no real world weight to me.I see no reason it cant be in there, but i understand why the NFL dont want to see it either. That said, i really wish the physics engine would be worked on alot , to make things like what was posted above been seen in the game. A legal hard hit.That dont look like ragdolls are involved as well as no real physics at all.

Twitter
Twitch Channel
MBC Twitch Channel

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »