Home

MLB The Show 16 Twitch Stream - Franchise Mode & Gameplay (Archive Available)

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 16 Twitch Stream - Franchise Mode & Gameplay (Archive Available) within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-06-2016, 07:12 AM   #433
Rookie

OVR: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose26
Lol, I actually did make it past year one, played all 162, no sim! That's why I ask, because that took a ton of time and effort, and then it was a let down to play the same schedule again in year two...
Now I play multiple seasons too with a 5 play 5 sim technique and I'll be honest, the schedule does not bother me one bit. I don't think it's that big of a let down.
Old 03-06-2016, 08:32 AM   #434

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: MLB The Show 16 Twitch Stream - Franchise Mode & Gameplay (Archive Available)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HustlinOwl
nope, yet again same interleague schdule into year 20 of your franchise....not that anyone makes it past year one so dont get all the complaints?
A good majority of those who play franchise make it past year one.
Old 03-06-2016, 08:49 AM   #435

NewNapkin's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: MLB The Show 16 Twitch Stream - Franchise Mode & Gameplay (Archive Available)

I doubt the percentage of people getting past year one in offline franchise is that far off from the percentage of those in online franchise. It's not like every single online franchise makes it past year one and every offline one doesn't...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-06-2016, 09:07 AM   #436
Pro

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
The only potential problem with this is....the game FIRST looks at ratings to
derive stats....so the chance to see a player that hits .330 then .280 then .330 is less likely(impossible with a heavy stat driven progression....but I don't see that and the Show uses a good dose of "chance" or "randomness" under the hood IMO)....
In your case....it would go.... .280.... .300 ....then .330.
Players hitting 20 HR's....then 45...then 30 would also be nearly impossible in the game with stat based progression.

Look at David Ortiz as an example....and tell me how you would justify stat based progression/regression in him from 2003 to 2012.
(without other factors such as random chance....etc)

M.K.
Knight165
Agreed.

I had a nice corollary to this but lost it cause I got logged out before I submitted.

In short, my concern is that the natural variance found within player performance will suffer in favor of the new system which will alter the players' arcs too much based on one year.

It's fairly common for a .260 hitter to have a great season and bat .300. It's less common for a .260 hitter to develop into a .300 for the remainder of his career. I fear we will see more of the second at the expense of the first.

You can see the variance in almost every major league player, and as you said, this variance was already built into the game, and its present even when you are in control. Now we seem to be moving in the direction where this natural variance will be used to boost or penalize ratings even more. At best this seems superfluous, at worst illogical.

Perhaps I'm in the minority, but in franchise mode I want my own effect over player progression to be more limited. This move seems like it will turn your franchise into a RTTS experience with your entire roster. I'd prefer more emphasis on the managerial aspect, which means less control over progression arcs. There seems to be a number of different ways one might affect player progression without resorting to statistical performance.

As you point out, and this seems to be getting lost, the ratings are prerequisite - they come first. I see many folks characterizing the ratings as a type of report card. To me this is backwards, but I think it derives from the RTTS approach in a way. And perhaps the fundamental disagreement lies in how we're viewing franchise mode altogether.

In any case, it would be nice if the devs could shed more light on all this. Perhaps some of our concerns can be put to rest.

Last edited by JTommy67; 03-06-2016 at 09:10 AM.
Old 03-06-2016, 09:34 AM   #437
Rookie

Sip_16's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: MLB The Show 16 Twitch Stream Starts Now - Franchise Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlblover15
ok from what we know that DD and that other mode are the top two units in this game... they are the ones that make the game money due to cards and all that stuff that franchise doesn't really use.. and now to find out that the two NEW modes are DIRECTLY linked to DD is really not good news...

as someone said very early on in this tread... this is a huge franchise base site and we are still not getting the majority of the respect we deserve... deep dive into franchise my rear end... that was well anyway....

i really wish we could turn off morale in franchise mode...

also wish we coulld turn off card packs in franchise... or be able to put them in the market place... for those of us that are just wasting them when we play every day...
Really? No one here deserves anything in that regard. It is their game and they can do what's feasible and what will make their game grow. They come to these forms for suggestions all the time they don't add in everything because even the 1% here has so many ideas not everyone going to be happy.

If you really feel they owe you something then I'm just going to keep shaking my head
Old 03-06-2016, 11:36 AM   #438
RIP Ty My Buddy

nemesis04's Arena

OVR: 52
Re: MLB The Show 16 Twitch Stream Starts Now - Franchise Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlblover15
ok from what we know that DD and that other mode are the top two units in this game... they are the ones that make the game money due to cards and all that stuff that franchise doesn't really use.. and now to find out that the two NEW modes are DIRECTLY linked to DD is really not good news...

as someone said very early on in this tread... this is a huge franchise base site and we are still not getting the majority of the respect we deserve... deep dive into franchise my rear end... that was well anyway....

i really wish we could turn off morale in franchise mode...

also wish we coulld turn off card packs in franchise... or be able to put them in the market place... for those of us that are just wasting them when we play every day...
You are definitely a riddle wrapped up in a enigma!
Old 03-06-2016, 11:48 AM   #439
All Star

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianU
There are so many people coming up with strawman arguments against the idea I had it's redic. Of course you are never going to have ultra realistic scouting or player eval, but you can have more realistic then is in the game presently.

A simple change of hiding the ratings and showing statistics on those screens would work just fine for evaluating players in terms of who to pinch hit/pinch run/trade away or trade for/set your lineups and rotation. You can do all of that simply from statistics provided in the game.

Of course it wouldn't be forced on people, the developers are not stupid it would kill sales of the game if people were forced to not be able to see ratings. It's an option you must toggle on to use that only a very small but passionate branch of franchise players would use. These points make no sense.
There is a toggle to turn GM mode on or off - unless you carry over a save and then you are forced into GM mode even if you don't want it which ruined the idea of carry over saves for me. I'm not going to assume this idea wouldn't somehow creep into my franchise.

One thing I agree with - if you told people they couldn't know the attributes of players on their own team and unable to determine the attributes of players you are looking to acquire it would hurt sales.
Old 03-06-2016, 12:10 PM   #440
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

I finally got a chance to actually watch the stream and thought it was funny that in the 4 innings that the guys played of the Marlins/Rockies games, there were 2 balls hit off the pitcher and the runner was thrown out both times.

I guess there's still some tuning that will need to be done regarding that.

Watch me play video games

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »