Home

MLB The Show 16 Twitch Stream - Franchise Mode & Gameplay (Archive Available)

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 16 Twitch Stream - Franchise Mode & Gameplay (Archive Available) within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-05-2016, 09:27 AM   #369
Rookie

Threeebs's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: MLB The Show 16 Twitch Stream - Franchise Mode & Gameplay (Archive Available)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovesports
How can this not make sense? You're viewing these ratings as a driving force behind the player's ability instead of viewing it as a scouting tool. As for your example, you're right, he doesn't become better after hitting .332 but he does get "viewed" as better by his peers, coaches, fans, and scouts. I never said player performance should be the only determining factor but it's about time it became more influential.
Here are reasons for why player performance needs to be the primary factor.
1. Player A hits .332 with 40 homers and is currently rated as a 60 overall. In reality, the following year he is now viewed as a minimum 80 overall by scouts, coaches etc. What you are saying is that if he's not an A or B potential he should be a no more than a 63-65 overall the following year. This throws off player contracts, their FA worthiness, and their overall importance to the game. If I win The MVP award with a 60 overall player and next year his ratings don't reflect that, then he signs for barely over the league minimum and hits 8th in some crap team's lineup because he's still viewed as a 60 overall player.
Totally understand where Knight is coming from. If we weren't talking console video game logic I'd agree with him but the fact is we are talking just that and statistics are the absolute best way to translate ratings.

People are looking for too much complexity within the game. We don't get to see training or coaching or nutrition or even politics. Statistics is all we got and like I said before this game is all about projections, like it or not...
Old 03-05-2016, 09:55 AM   #370
Rookie

OVR: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatArmy
Just caught the archive and I have to ask: is performance progression broken again already?

A guy losing 10 pts of ability in a single year while being mid-20s (in a single category but still...) seems already a little imbalanced. Same with gaining 10pts in a category.

Remember when we were scolded for wanting to edit potential and were told that it would mess up the game in future years by causing unbalanced rosters? How is this different and how ironic is it that we now require editable potential just to keep it reasonably playable?
It's not broken. Looks like it's finally fixed. How does a guy going up 10 points in contact vs L throw off future balance? What's more unrealistic in my opinion is a 40+ homer guy can't get signed as a free agent because he's a 60 overall and a D potential yet he just posted MVP type numbers. I'm all for performance progression and will stand by it till the end.
Old 03-05-2016, 09:57 AM   #371
MVP

BlueJays09's Arena

OVR: 29
Re: MLB The Show 16 Twitch Stream - Franchise Mode & Gameplay (Archive Available)

I sometimes choose stats to determine who I use, sometimes ratings. For example: Spring Training is about half way through for me. I have played every game. I signed Pedro Alvarez hoping he would backup 1B/3B/DH, but during ST so far he is batting .147 with 0 HR. His contact/power vs. RHP is 57/84 I think. Dominguez who is around 51/54 contact/power is hitting .380 with 5 HR including a 2-HR game last game out. He is wayyyy out performing Pedro. It is looking like Dominguez or Smoak who is hitting .250 with 3HR might take a bench role and Pedro is heading to AAA until I need him. Thats just an example where a lesser rated player is doing better for me so I will likely be awarding him with a bench role.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-05-2016, 10:50 AM   #372
All Star

HustlinOwl's Arena

OVR: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by HustlinOwl
500k and 490k never complete year 1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb12780
Curious to where you pulled this number from. You have access to the same data the devs do?

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk
have a look and this a hardcore forum just imagine the casuals

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...ball-game.html
Old 03-05-2016, 11:08 AM   #373
All Star

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovesports
How can this not make sense? You're viewing these ratings as a driving force behind the player's ability instead of viewing it as a scouting tool. As for your example, you're right, he doesn't become better after hitting .332 but he does get "viewed" as better by his peers, coaches, fans, and scouts. I never said player performance should be the only determining factor but it's about time it became more influential.
Here are reasons for why player performance needs to be the primary factor.
1. Player A hits .332 with 40 homers and is currently rated as a 60 overall. In reality, the following year he is now viewed as a minimum 80 overall by scouts, coaches etc. What you are saying is that if he's not an A or B potential he should be a no more than a 63-65 overall the following year. This throws off player contracts, their FA worthiness, and their overall importance to the game. If I win The MVP award with a 60 overall player and next year his ratings don't reflect that, then he signs for barely over the league minimum and hits 8th in some crap team's lineup because he's still viewed as a 60 overall player.

If you have a 60 overall guy hitting .332 with 40 hr you either have a guy who is pathetic defensively in which case he deserves his 60 overall rating or you are doing massive slider adjustments.

I my franchise on default sliders and manage mode I'm not seeing 60 overall guys doing what you are seeing. I'll reserve judgement until I've played the game but with the extremely limited draft pool each year I wonder what the franchise will look like in future years. One thing I'm sure of - if progression is based on stats they had better have the sim engine perfect or close to it.
Old 03-05-2016, 11:24 AM   #374
MVP

OVR: 0

Good info, I just wish they would have played an inning or two with Player Morale changes and see how he's affected. I would have like to see Donaldson at bat or two happy, sad, or statisfied.

My ideal gameplay demonstration would be able too see a player
1. Show him out of position
2. Morale low
3. and in the bottom of the order

and then show him at his best.

I wish they would have demoed that so we could see how these gameplay elemnts co-exist with oneanother.

Franchise looks good too me, I like the additions and improvements. Managing your roster will be fun.
Old 03-05-2016, 11:25 AM   #375
Pro

OVR: 5

So, if I understand correctly, the enhanced stat tracking is now on the PS3. I find that to be interesting given that it was explained on multiple occasions that the PS3 was maxed out, and there was no space to add additional stat tracking. It was said, when people were calling for more stats on the PS3. It was explicitly stated that the PS3 was maxed out and more stat tracking was not possible.

I know I keep harping on stat tracking, but I don't care. There's so much work that remains to be done, even with the latest enhancements. Until we see stat tracking akin to what I can find on, say, ESPN.com, I will be wanting more.

By that I mean:
1. Sortable team stats
2. Player card with game log, breaking down stats from all games played in the current season (I would expect this to be reset each year in franchise, I don't expect this history to be maintained across seasons)
3. Filters for situational statistics (vs. specific team, home, road, vs. RHP, vs. LHP, by month, pre/post all star break)
4. Tracking awards won historically and having this information available on the player card (for individual awards) and having a "history" section in Franchise mode where you can see historical standings and award winners
5. Robust box scores akin to what you can find on any website (I don't expect this to be carried over across seasons)

I've said multiple times, there are no technical limitations to this, it is simply a matter of available dev resources and prioritization. I don't expect any of this to be prioritized, given the limited dev resources available and the end goal of maximizing sales.

To me, this is the main problem with console sports gaming. The target market is more casual and will never care about this stuff. As long as the dev team remains prohibitively small, and maximum profit remains the end goal, these things will be moved down the list in a hurry.

I'd love to see a game with no agenda besides to make the most authentic, in-depth, true-to-life franchise mode experience as is humanly possible. But given the state of video games and the business, I don't think it's going to happen any time soon.

Instead we can expect more fluff and gimmicks with card collecting and game modes that provide an arcade/RPG-like experience.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-05-2016, 11:33 AM   #376
All Star

JayD's Arena

OVR: 16

Guys, look at Madden, or most of all FIFA, and tell me that The Shows franchise is getting ignored.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »