Home

MLB The Show 16 Twitch Stream - Franchise Mode & Gameplay (Archive Available)

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 16 Twitch Stream - Franchise Mode & Gameplay (Archive Available) within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-04-2016, 09:09 PM   #337
MVP

sink4ever's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: MLB The Show 16 Twitch Stream - Franchise Mode & Gameplay (Archive Available)

I'll reserve judgment on the progression system until I get to test it a bit. I do have some faith in the developers that it won't get out of hand and I do like that it may be more "dynamic" this year.

I've always been against performance driving progression because the logic for that is flawed. Ideally, as some have alluded to, we'd have actual ratings and perceived ratings for players. I would certainly be in favor of having perceived ratings change based on performance (and scouting).

But like I said, I'll wait until I have the game in hand and everyone is testing it.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:25 PM   #338
Rookie

AJenius06's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: MLB The Show 16 Twitch Stream - Franchise Mode & Gameplay (Archive Available)

All I want to know is if there will be rain outs in franchise mode?

PSN: AJenius06
In 2K, I'm Godly...

Old 03-04-2016, 09:29 PM   #339
MVP

dran1984's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJenius06
All I want to know is if there will be rain outs in franchise mode?
Nope. No rain outs. Too bad though, it would be an awesome feature.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:29 PM   #340
MVP

BrianU's Arena

Now that we have expanded stat tracking I have a loony idea. What if there was an option to hide the ratings altogether? I'd love to have that option so I had to scout players based on their statistics. We have all the info we need.. with progression tied to ratings it makes perfect sense. Viewing ratings just takes you out of the immersion but it's hard to avoid it since they are plastered everywhere in franchise and gameplay.

Imagine you are ready to pinch hit for the ptichers but instead of scrolling your bench for the highest contact vs lefty guy, you get information about your bench players AVG vs lefty career, AVG vs lefty season, last month AVG vs lefty. So you still need to know your guys. The highest BA vs lefty isn't necessarily the best guy to pick, perhaps he just happens to be hitting it hot this month or this season but really another guy on the bench is better at the moment. I want to be required to have a feel for my players not looking at some arbitrary ratings that give you the perfect choice 100% of the time. That doesn't feel like managing a baseball team.

Think of how much harder and realistic trading would become! Now when you trade you don't look at overalls or contact or power, you look at their statistics of how they are actually performing.. This leads to increased emergent, dynamic results. I am going to try some house rules this year of not looking at player ratings at any point and just statistics but as I said it is hard when they are everywhere and an option to hide them would be much appreciated.

Getting rid of perfect information truly makes it a Baseball experience and not a Videogame experience.. This would also include hiding the Potential rating of course another option I'd love! I don't want to know a guy has A potential I want to dig for that myself, there is no reason we need to have access to that in the draft or anywhere. Keep it all under the hood, I want to manage a baseball team not a bunch of numbers. As I saw someone else say they feel like robots not players. The morale was a big step forward with improving that and I feel this would be equally as big.

This is my ultimate request for franchise in every game. I know it would be a niche option and I doubt many people would ever use it but to me it would be the greatest single change for immersion. I bring it up because we now have full stat tracking. Just give an option when starting franchise to show or hide ratings defaulted to show. I know this is more of a hardcore feature that only the real knuckle heads like me would use I just think it would be a gamechanger. Hope the devs catch wind of this radical idea and see what they think, I think they said they are already planning for MLB 17 in a few weeks.

Last edited by BrianU; 03-04-2016 at 09:39 PM.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:32 PM   #341
Rookie

OVR: 0

My only disappointment is the lack of non-roster invitees but at this point I just don't really expect to see them get added. If I'm honest with myself, there are likely just far more players who just set their 25 man roster and sim right to Opening Day than there are people who spend any sort of time evaluating rosters and players in spring. I believe the devs even said one year that ST was never meant to be more than a chance to work on your timing/try new settings, difficulties, etc. in games where nothing is at stake.

At least it's an issue that can be worked around, if a bit tedious. You can remove guys from the lower end of your 40-man roster who aren't risks to be claimed by other teams and replace them with prospects or veteran minor leaguers that you want to check out. Then you just cycle those guys periodically before locking in your "real" 40-man roster and formally optioning players to keep it to 25. It involves manipulating your roster a bunch and you need to keep cycling them but it's at least it's something.

But the stuff they did add though sounds very, very promising. I can understand some of the skepticism of player morale but I like that this is going to add real stakes to the players' decisions. This might prevent teams from loading up on star players only to stash them on the bench, which I actually saw quite a bit of in future seasons. And as a big stat geek I'm so glad that career stats are in along with announcer recognition of stuff that happened in seasons before.

Can't wait for this to come out.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-04-2016, 09:42 PM   #342
MVP

dran1984's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbusch22
My only disappointment is the lack of non-roster invitees but at this point I just don't really expect to see them get added. If I'm honest with myself, there are likely just far more players who just set their 25 man roster and sim right to Opening Day than there are people who spend any sort of time evaluating rosters and players in spring. I believe the devs even said one year that ST was never meant to be more than a chance to work on your timing/try new settings, difficulties, etc. in games where nothing is at stake.

At least it's an issue that can be worked around, if a bit tedious. You can remove guys from the lower end of your 40-man roster who aren't risks to be claimed by other teams and replace them with prospects or veteran minor leaguers that you want to check out. Then you just cycle those guys periodically before locking in your "real" 40-man roster and formally optioning players to keep it to 25. It involves manipulating your roster a bunch and you need to keep cycling them but it's at least it's something.

But the stuff they did add though sounds very, very promising. I can understand some of the skepticism of player morale but I like that this is going to add real stakes to the players' decisions. This might prevent teams from loading up on star players only to stash them on the bench, which I actually saw quite a bit of in future seasons. And as a big stat geek I'm so glad that career stats are in along with announcer recognition of stuff that happened in seasons before.

The workaround that I use is a bit different. I will create a first franchise with CPU roster control on. That way I can manipulate the 40-man roster for each game without having to option players. I normally keep my Starting pitchers off the roster unless they are starting that day to create more roster space. Then after Spring Training I go in and create the new franchise and sim through ST and I'm ready to go. However, this only works for the first season of a franchise. Since I play every game I normally have a hard time getting through a full season with one team anyway though.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:44 PM   #343
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianU
Now that we have expanded stat tracking I have a loony idea. What if there was an option to hide the ratings altogether? I'd love to have that option so I had to scout players based on their statistics. We have all the info we need.. with progression tied to ratings it makes perfect sense. Viewing ratings just takes you out of the immersion but it's hard to avoid it since they are plastered everywhere in franchise and gameplay.

Imagine you are ready to pinch hit for the ptichers but instead of scrolling your bench for the highest contact vs lefty guy, you get information about your bench players AVG vs lefty career, AVG vs lefty season, last month AVG vs lefty. So you still need to know your guys. The highest BA vs lefty isn't necessarily the best guy to pick, perhaps he just happens to be hitting it hot this month or this season but really another guy on the bench is better at the moment. I want to be required to have a feel for my players not looking at some arbitrary ratings that give you the perfect choice 100% of the time. That doesn't feel like managing a baseball team.

Think of how much harder and realistic trading would become! Now when you trade you don't look at overalls or contact or power, you look at their statistics of how they are actually performing.. This leads to increased emergent, dynamic results. I am going to try some house rules this year of not looking at player ratings at any point and just statistics but as I said it is hard when they are everywhere and an option to hide them would be much appreciated.

Getting rid of perfect information truly makes it a Baseball experience and not a Videogame experience.. This would also include hiding the Potential rating of course another option I'd love! I don't want to know a guy has A potential I want to dig for that myself, there is no reason we need to have access to that in the draft or anywhere. Keep it all under the hood, I want to manage a baseball team not a bunch of numbers. As I saw someone else say they feel like robots not players. The morale was a big step forward with improving that and I feel this would be equally as big.

This is my ultimate request for franchise in every game. I know it would be a niche option and I doubt many people would ever use it but to me it would be the greatest single change for immersion. I bring it up because we now have full stat tracking. Just give an option when starting franchise to show or hide ratings defaulted to show. I know this is more of a hardcore feature that only the real knuckle heads like me would use I just think it would be a gamechanger. Hope the devs catch wind of this radical idea and see what they think, I think they said they are already planning for MLB 17 in a few weeks.
Absolutely....100% would love this.
'15 went a long way with this...as it seemed to me that there was much more of a chance for a player to play "out of his ratings"....both good and bad.....
Sports games have become more of a number shuffling for who has 1 point more in XX category instead of actually looking at a players performance and acting on that and the reports your scouts/coaches would give you.

I realize that not everyone would want it this way and that's fine....but a simple front end option to "hide ratings"(except in the editor of course...so you could make changes if you want to) would be so nice IMO.

M.K.
Knight165
Old 03-04-2016, 09:45 PM   #344
MVP

BrianU's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbusch22

This is a great topic. Spring training is quite subpar compared to the season, playoffs, and offseason. It would be nice to have it bolstered at some point but I understand why it's not a top priority. NRI were a big wish for me personally too.

Having players fight for position battles toward the end of ST is always great to follow in real life.. It makes me wonder, one of the devs said the progression/attribute changes monthly, do you get that at the end of spring training? That would be huge to making spring training somewhat relevant and would bring in this element of position battles. If a guy has a hot spring maybe he played well enough to boost his ratings past his competition at second base. I am not sure if they do adjust after the month of March and I am leaning towards probably not but I would like for them to for the element it would bring to the game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »