Home

MLB The Show 16 Twitch Stream - Franchise Mode & Gameplay (Archive Available)

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 16 Twitch Stream - Franchise Mode & Gameplay (Archive Available) within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-04-2016, 01:12 PM   #281
The Man!

sroz39's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: MLB The Show 16 Twitch Stream - Franchise Mode & Gameplay (Archive Available)

I'm surprised but not surprised by the reaction of some on this forum. For YEARS, I've been reading some variation of "just give me career and advanced stats and I'll be happy". So we have a year where we get that PLUS a player morale system that people are underestimating greatly I think. It could fundamentally change the way you build your roster and manage your roster throughout the year. Game changer for sure.

PLUS a progression system that is tied into natural development AND results on the field. I've been wanting this forever as its the most realistic way of depicting player growth. The baseball graveyard is littered with players that were supposed to be the next great thing but because of a fundamental flaw (say batting against lefties as the example in the stream showed) end up being nothing more than good role or platoon players. On the flip side, a guy could come out of nowhere (happens multiple times a year as well) thanks to this progression system. But no, not enough.

PLUS all the " little" changes, like the menu system overhaul, the big news spotlight like a big free agent contract etc. Along with advanced stats and career stats.

Yet I come in here and the general feeling is dissatisfaction. How? One of the two or three best sports games every year makes some significant changes, both in Franchise Mode as I mentioned above, as well as overall gameplay like PBR, IK, noticeable lighting and graphics bump, Sounds of the Show....all those things make playing Franchise games much better. How can anyone be unhappy?

I used to visit OS way more than I care to admit. The general whininess that's overcome the community as its grown in size over the years is apparent in every section of this forum but generally speaking, The Show forums were relatively pretty good in this respect until the last few years.

Do people forget how flawed some of our favourite games of yesteryear were, like MVP 05 or NFL 2K5? Google the best slider sets for those games and notice the massive amounts of manipulation required both to the sliders and global roster edits to make the game not do dumb things. Not to mention all the house rules needed to not game the system.

These games get better and better every year. The Show has made a huge overall jump from 15 to 16 and people are unhappy. Please see the forest beyond the trees.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-04-2016, 01:13 PM   #282
MVP

BrianU's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: MLB The Show 16 Twitch Stream - Franchise Mode & Gameplay (Archive Available)

Did we find out how morale works for user created/user draft players? Can you edit their morale and location? Will OSFM minors have this done?

Sent from my LGLS660 using Tapatalk
Old 03-04-2016, 01:25 PM   #283
Rookie

Threeebs's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianU
Did we find out how morale works for user created/user draft players? Can you edit their morale and location? Will OSFM minors have this done?

Sent from my LGLS660 using Tapatalk
I read somewhere is this thread that morale is only tied to MLB players so no need to worry about all that. I highly doubt morale is customizable seeing as it's just been introduced in this year's iteration...
Old 03-04-2016, 01:26 PM   #284
All Star

JayD's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sroz39
I'm surprised but not surprised by the reaction of some on this forum. For YEARS, I've been reading some variation of "just give me career and advanced stats and I'll be happy". So we have a year where we get that PLUS a player morale system that people are underestimating greatly I think. It could fundamentally change the way you build your roster and manage your roster throughout the year. Game changer for sure.

PLUS a progression system that is tied into natural development AND results on the field. I've been wanting this forever as its the most realistic way of depicting player growth. The baseball graveyard is littered with players that were supposed to be the next great thing but because of a fundamental flaw (say batting against lefties as the example in the stream showed) end up being nothing more than good role or platoon players. On the flip side, a guy could come out of nowhere (happens multiple times a year as well) thanks to this progression system. But no, not enough.

PLUS all the " little" changes, like the menu system overhaul, the big news spotlight like a big free agent contract etc. Along with advanced stats and career stats.

Yet I come in here and the general feeling is dissatisfaction. How? One of the two or three best sports games every year makes some significant changes, both in Franchise Mode as I mentioned above, as well as overall gameplay like PBR, IK, noticeable lighting and graphics bump, Sounds of the Show....all those things make playing Franchise games much better. How can anyone be unhappy?

I used to visit OS way more than I care to admit. The general whininess that's overcome the community as its grown in size over the years is apparent in every section of this forum but generally speaking, The Show forums were relatively pretty good in this respect until the last few years.

Do people forget how flawed some of our favourite games of yesteryear were, like MVP 05 or NFL 2K5? Google the best slider sets for those games and notice the massive amounts of manipulation required both to the sliders and global roster edits to make the game not do dumb things. Not to mention all the house rules needed to not game the system.

These games get better and better every year. The Show has made a huge overall jump from 15 to 16 and people are unhappy. Please see the forest beyond the trees.

10 char! Couldn't of said it better myself.
Old 03-04-2016, 01:31 PM   #285
Pro

OVR: 5

Matt Duffy's stance looks bad.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-04-2016, 01:37 PM   #286
All Star

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by sroz39

LOL - I remember debating performance based progression a couple years ago and I thought the people advocating for it were whining. It seems like if it is my idea it's a legitimate beef, if someone else's idea it is whining.

Overall I like the changes but I'm not sold on performance based progression. They have obviously taken a big swing at franchise but progression in a franchise is one of the top factors. In order to produce something which resembles MLB results in 10 years progression needs to be somewhat controlled. If performance is the major factor they had better have gameplay perfect or close to it or 10 years into the franchise it will be an odd looking deal. Player growth results in stats, not vice versa. On Altuve's morale page his expectation was MVP level. He met his expectation and yet he declined in all but 4 attributes as a young A potential prospect.

Not passing judgement on a game I haven't seen but it is a legitimate area of concern. Britton getting traded after signing as a free agent isn't accurate and needs to be patched. I would have liked to have been able to import a created team from diamond dynasty into franchise. Aside from those things I like the changes.

Last edited by tessl; 03-04-2016 at 01:41 PM.
Old 03-04-2016, 01:40 PM   #287
MVP

OVR: 15
Re: MLB The Show 16 Twitch Stream Starts Now - Franchise Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
They mentioned on stream that offline/online franchise was a numbers game because of different codebases. 45k playing online, 500k playing offline. Priority went to offline.

Don't shoot the messenger, I'm only relaying what was said on stream.
Fine with me.
I don't play online
Old 03-04-2016, 01:40 PM   #288
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
LOL - I remember debating performance based progression a couple years ago and I thought the people advocating for it were whining. It seems like if it is my idea it's a legitimate beef, if someone else's idea it is whining.

Overall I like the changes but I'm not sold on performance based progression. They have obviously taken a big swing at franchise but progression in a franchise is one of the top factors. In order to produce something which resembles MLB results in 10 years progression needs to be somewhat controlled. If progression is the major factor they had better have gameplay perfect or close to it or 10 years into the franchise it will be an odd looking deal. Player growth results in stats, not vice versa. On Altuve's morale page his expectation was MVP level. He met his expectation and yet he declined in all but 4 attributes as a young A potential prospect.

Not passing judgement on a game I haven't seen but it is a legitimate area of concern.
Couldn't agree more. This is just backwards. I don't hit .220 then get worse; I hit .220 because I got worse. There desperately needs to be a work ethic-type rating to help drive progression. Make work ethic and injuries affect attributes, not stats.

My hope is that eventually this leads to hidden ratings that drive the sim engine/gameplay, while the ratings we see are representations of these ratings that get more accurate with larger sample sizes. That's how ratings work in real life... the developers give Giancarlo Stanton a 90 power rating because it's a representation of his production. But if he goes out and hits 15 home runs this season, it doesn't necessarily mean he's become a worse power hitter. It's more likely that he had an injury that changed his swing or zapped his power.

Watch me play video games

Last edited by Jr.; 03-04-2016 at 01:44 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »