Home

MLB The Show 16 Twitch Stream - Franchise Mode & Gameplay (Archive Available)

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 16 Twitch Stream - Franchise Mode & Gameplay (Archive Available) within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
NBA 2K25 Cover Athletes - Jayson Tatum, A'ja Wilson and Vince Carter
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive and Analysis
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games

Old 03-03-2016, 11:32 PM   #201
#Ace

Speedy's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: MLB The Show 16 Twitch Stream Starts Now - Franchise Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitTilNextYear
It looked to be an end of season, permanent 10-point decrease to the attribute based on a 114 AB sample of hitting .132 vLHPs.

Yes, I agree.

For platoon splits, a RHB needs about 2200 PA's vLHP for that past performance to be as predictive as a random 5.5% split in the future.

A LHB needs 1000 PA's vRHP for that past performance to be as predictive as a random 9% split in the future.

We could end up with all kinds of weird stuff...pronounced reverse platoon splits among them...if this aggressive progression/regression isn't patched/smoothed out.
Yes, that's my concern as well.

I think, at least for 2017, attribute changes should be solely/directly tied to training/coaching (here's hoping for a revamp! ) but having stats tie directly to a player's ratings has an opportunity to vastly change a player's effectiveness.

EDIT: Addressed by Victor...it's nonetheless something I'm kindly hesitant about and will be watching.

Last edited by Speedy; 03-03-2016 at 11:34 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-03-2016, 11:36 PM   #202
MVP

dran1984's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: MLB The Show 16 Twitch Stream - Franchise Mode & Gameplay (Archive Available)

While I agree that a lot of things that we wanted to see added to franchise didn't make it in, a majority of the upgrades and additions still direct the feel of playing franchise. This is still gonna be a great game.
Old 03-03-2016, 11:37 PM   #203
Rookie

Sip_16's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: MLB The Show 16 Twitch Stream - Franchise Mode & Gameplay (Archive Available)

Games looking great to me. Can't wait to start my franchise and try out the new improvements. Not everyone is gonna be happy but no one can ever deny what these guys do and how much work they put in. Thanks SCEA as long as u make MLB games I'll be buying even tho Ramone says it's unfortunate to live in Canada haha

Last edited by Sip_16; 03-03-2016 at 11:49 PM.
Old 03-03-2016, 11:59 PM   #204
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_SDS
On behalf of Luis, who's trying to ease your concerns about progression:

Performance-Based Progression is not a one-size fits all system for every player. Every attribute level has an expected stat value associated with it, so the drop you saw with Avisail Garcia was "extreme" because he had a good Con vs L attribute to begin with. You shouldn't worry about the system getting out of hand, since these expected values are updated along with attribute progression. This means Garcia would experience less of a drop if he performed exactly the same the following season.

Here's an example of a guy who hit .177 over 260 ABs versus righties, and not experiencing a single point drop in Con vs R:

On the flip side, here's someone hitting .331 versus lefties and only getting a one point increase.

In the end, our simulator is going to generate stats that are in line with player attributes the vast majority of the time, but when unusual breakouts/crashes occur, we want to capture them, since this happens in the Majors all the time.
Thanks for the reply, Victor. This alleviates some of my concerns, and I understand your point about stats meeting/not meeting different levels of 'expectation' to trigger progression/regression (a 70 CON vLHP expects a higher batting average than a 45 CON vLHP and would drop more upon a poor showing), but I still wonder how many Avi Garcia cases there will really be.

If you (or vicariously, Luis) could follow up about this...does the progression/regression logic have any understanding of sample size? If Avisail Garcia had batted .000 in 2 ABs against lefties, would the penalty be as harsh as it was for batting .132 in 114 ABs? Would he have dropped 10 points anyway? I think most would hate for an injured player or a prospect with decent ratings to get a September callup only to get nailed on ratings at the end of the year if he didn't deliver in a tiny sample.

I suppose that it could always be reversed since ratings are editable, but nobody is going to want to do that! Especially now that I can put my Excel sheet away because the game is tracking stuff for me!
Old 03-04-2016, 12:00 AM   #205
Pro

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by russilini
i excited by what they've shown so far...everyone else seems to be bummed about things they are assuming???????????
if you're new here you'll see that things are never enough. for years all ud see on here is ppl yelling for all time stats and now that they have them its not good enough. nothing is never enough. most will still buy tho so its pointless haha
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-04-2016, 12:02 AM   #206
#Ace

Speedy's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitTilNextYear
If you (or vicariously, Luis) could follow up about this...does the progression/regression logic have any understanding of sample size? If Avisail Garcia had batted .000 in 2 ABs against lefties, would the penalty be as harsh as it was for batting .132 in 114 ABs? Would he have dropped 10 points anyway? I think most would hate for an injured player or a prospect with decent ratings to get a September callup only to get nailed on ratings at the end of the year if he didn't deliver in a tiny sample.
Great, great, great, great question, WTNY...this is something I'm very interested in knowing as well.
Old 03-04-2016, 12:02 AM   #207
Rookie

letsgomets75's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianU
Also people are forgetting Sounds of the Show which is best used in franchise. Nothing beats playing on the road and hearing the authentic stadium sounds as you clobber the Phillies and Braves into the ground.
Old 03-04-2016, 12:02 AM   #208
All Star

HustlinOwl's Arena

OVR: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedEvil
most will still buy tho so its pointless haha
the benefit of being only game in town, if a competitor Im willing to bet it would be a different story

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »