Home

MLB The Show 16 Video - Franchise Mode

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 16 Video - Franchise Mode within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-01-2016, 10:07 PM   #129
Pro

OVR: 24
Re: MLB The Show 16 Video - Franchise Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarmWind
At first I didn't really like the idea of the morale system, but after the details they've released, it seems like there is more control over it than "y is whining because you're serving sandwiches as a pre-game meal and he wanted soup".

The way it seems to be, when negotiating a contract you agree not only to a financial number, but the role they are going to play. You can make no promises when in comes to the role, and that's going to lose interest in signing the contract, but will make the player less delicate once they sign. I REALLY like that tradeoff of risk and reward for morale. Makes identifying my core all the more important, because those are the guys who I will promise roles to in order to try for the hometown discount.

It will also make me more trade wary, as I see the promises that come with the contract a player carries. It's a nice analog to emotional baggage/attitude problems.

I just hope that carry over saves have all current contracts with no playtime expectations, otherwise my team full of superstars is going to be really pissed I have most of them working platoon roles. Glad I'm downsizing to a 5 pitcher rotation this season.
My only concern is, can any player be signed to any role?

I remember MVP Baseball had a similar morale system. I HATED it. You basically had to offer "indispensable" (the guaranteed everyday starter equivalent) roles to pretty much everyone or they just wouldn't sign. Even if you paid many many millions above their asking price, they flat out would not sign unless you upped their role.

I don't think that any of that was realistic, because real life players accept diminished roles all the time. Once upon a time Wade Davis was a starting pitcher, remember? You think MVP 2005 Wade Davis would have accepted a relief pitcher role? I doubt it.

Of course every player wants to be the team's #1 guy, but it's not a sticking point the way it was in MVP ball. If you have a good reason, most players will gladly take a diminished role, especially if its on a playoff contending team.

So I sincerely hope that this promise/role system has a very limited influence over the outcome of negotiations, and morale.
Old 03-01-2016, 10:26 PM   #130
Rookie

OVR: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by gharp14
Doesn't seem like awards won are gonna be tracked. Really disappointing if true
This is a total bummer for me too. Tracking awards preferably in the player card (like NBA 2K) is a great feature that is much needed. The one they have now isn't terrible but it'd be much better if it was tracking awards for more than just 3 years
Old 03-01-2016, 10:31 PM   #131
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhead
My only concern is, can any player be signed to any role?

I sincerely hope that this promise/role system has a very limited influence over the outcome of negotiations, and morale.
Well if you comb through the video, you'll notice the first example, SP Brett Anderson has his interest gauge move up with every single factor they change. They actually change the money quite a bit, and while each tick was small, it showed no signs of stopping or slowing down. I'm guessing different players have different priorities. Some care about their role, some would accept any role on a contender, some might even care the most about money. I think how it's going to work is that you can use the role to help swing the interest in your favour, but if need be you can still just pile on money to win.

I think this is more of a budget finagling system as opposed to a straight jacket "must bend to the free agent's whims" system.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-01-2016, 10:58 PM   #132
Pro

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarmWind
Well if you comb through the video, you'll notice the first example, SP Brett Anderson has his interest gauge move up with every single factor they change. They actually change the money quite a bit, and while each tick was small, it showed no signs of stopping or slowing down. I'm guessing different players have different priorities. Some care about their role, some would accept any role on a contender, some might even care the most about money. I think how it's going to work is that you can use the role to help swing the interest in your favour, but if need be you can still just pile on money to win.

I think this is more of a budget finagling system as opposed to a straight jacket "must bend to the free agent's whims" system.
I re-watched the Brett Anderson bit and you're exactly right. It didn't seem like a critical point, which is good.

Thanks.
Old 03-01-2016, 11:07 PM   #133
MVP

zippy2212's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhead
I re-watched the Brett Anderson bit and you're exactly right. It didn't seem like a critical point, which is good.

Thanks.
I'm hoping that this works the way I'm guessing it was intended. A players ratings will help determine certain roles. If you want to sign a King Felix or a Price you better tell them their going to be your ace. A Brett Anderson will accept a lesser role but more cash, etc. If it works something similar to that I think it will be awesome. The same with in game management. If a highly rated player is sitting 8-10 games they are upset and lower rated players are fine playing a couple times a week.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Old 03-01-2016, 11:08 PM   #134
MVP

Houston's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godgers12
So I guess it would be asking too much, to ask for sortable rookie stats as well? Any possible way Rusell and his team could add that last minute?
For the record his name is Ramone.
Old 03-01-2016, 11:16 PM   #135
MVP

Houston's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by knich
I agree. What I am particularly interested in whether the Inside Edge type stats will show up on screen during game and at bats. I know IE is not in franchise this year but the lack of pitcher v. hitter, situational, day/night, ballpark type stats are really missing. Even having the head to head stats like in RTTS would have been a welcome addition. I was hoping they would be in game in some form this year. Seems in years past you only had some of these stats in play now as opposed to franchise.
I think think they mentioned in a stream for this year Inside Edge is only online this year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-01-2016, 11:19 PM   #136
MVP

Houston's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy
It's still odd to me that offline franchise and online franchise have different aspects to them. It seems more logical to me to make online the same as offline but with the added bonus of having online users vs. AI.

Maybe that's just me though.
I wish is was all one mode online franchise & offline franchise the only difference would be the ability to invite friends or league members to that 1 franchise.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »