Home

MLB The Show 16 Twitch Stream - Presentation & Much More (Archive Available)

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 16 Twitch Stream - Presentation & Much More (Archive Available) within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 02-28-2016, 06:46 PM   #233
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: MLB The Show 16 Twitch Stream - Presentation & Much More (Archive Available)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokker
Neither MLB 14 or 15 on PS4 maintain 60 FPS now. The crowd seems to be the major hurdle.

I was annoyed that the MLB 15 trailers were at 60 FPS, and showed no stutter when the camera flew over the crowds, but I chalked it up to industry practice. I wasn't going to single out SDS when the whole industry does things like this.
Yes, crowd is a major hurdle, and is unfortunately one that is limited by PS4 hardware. Yes, that's right, this is not a PS3 limitation, but a PS4 limitation (theoretically, the PS3 COULD actually be better at tackling this problem. I mean, not in practice... but theoretically. I digress).

Things like texture quality, lighting, location calculations, pixel count, these and more are all handled by the graphics card on a traditional computer.

Meanwhile, (most) physics and (more importantly) object management are all handled by the CPU. I'm reffering to the actual central processing unit in this case, not the slang for AI that is often used on these forums.

What that means is the more unique objects you put on the screen, the more taxed the CPU is. All of those unique objects moving in unique ways (even if they are subtle) will cause even a great CPU to chug. And the CPU of a PS4? Not so great.

If you want to see this in action to get a better breakdown and understanding of graphics, try downloading 3Dmark on your computer, and then cry as it makes your computer melt. There is a free version on steam.
Old 02-28-2016, 07:17 PM   #234
Always batting 1.000

mpulse24's Arena

Re: MLB The Show 16 Twitch Stream - Presentation & Much More (Archive Available)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOldboy
AAA games can and do run at 60 fps, or close to a locked 60. SDS always state they are targetting 1080p/60 so the goal is not a fantasy. Granted the game does not run at a locked 60 so your point is partially valid. But with optimization and a few visual cutbacks I don't think 60 is an unreasonable goal for The Show. In a game that is so heavily based around timing 60 fps is an important aspect for gameplay, not just visuals. Everything uses timing in the game, meter pitching, pulse, directional hitting, button accuracy throwing, etc. Having a locked framerate is essential. Remember a few years back when the game had a pretty serious hitching problem while batting?
I stand corrected! I haven't gotten to play The Phantom Pain yet, so I didn't get to check out its frame rate. So its good that there are big AAA games out there (especially ones as big as Phantom Pain) that can achieve a stable 60 FPS, gives me some hope for The Show to lock in at 60. But that article did state, "Metal Gear Solid 5 is remarkable in this sense, given the apparent difficulty most current-gen titles have had in hitting this number (60 FPS) while still offering a free-roaming gameplay design." That quote does ring true to me, with recent PS4 games I have played over the past couple of years like The Assassin's Creed series, inFAMOUS Second Son, Batman Arkham Knight, Grand Theft Auto V, Mad Max and Fallout 4, all of which run at 30 FPS. Switching from any one of those games to the remastered versions of God of War III, Uncharted or The Last of US is a huge shock!

While there are current gen AAA games achieving but unable to lock in at 60 FPS, most of which are sports games and twitch shooters, which like you said, should be locked at 60 because games in these categories require quick and precise input timing. Supposedly MLB '14 ran at 60 FPS, according to that list. But as you stated, I know for a fact that MLB '15 wasn't quite there, I could just tell by the feel of the game, I had to make timing adjustments when I started playing it. But, thankfully I have never really experienced any actual frame rate drops in the last two entries of The Show.

And yeah, I remember that hitching problem, it totally threw my hitting game through a loop for a long time....for a while, I thought I was just slowing with age. haha

I am still blown away that The Phantom Pain runs at 60 FPS, I had that title pegged as a 30 FPS game. Very good catch!
Old 02-28-2016, 09:06 PM   #235
Rookie

OVR: 3

Still hoping Russell can confirm that there will be some kind of season standings presentation during the games. A overlay with the standings and the commentators comment on it or something like. Or at least an overlay with the scoreboard from around the league or something. Russell? Anything? Thanks for any heads up in this! Appreciate all you guys do!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-28-2016, 09:15 PM   #236
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by willithome
Still hoping Russell can confirm that there will be some kind of season standings presentation during the games. A overlay with the standings and the commentators comment on it or something like. Or at least an overlay with the scoreboard from around the league or something. Russell? Anything? Thanks for any heads up in this! Appreciate all you guys do!
A season standings presentation was always in the game; at least for the division in the team you play in season/franchise mode when I play.
Old 02-28-2016, 09:21 PM   #237
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlight897
A season standings presentation was always in the game; at least for the division in the team you play in season/franchise mode when I play.
It is? I have never seen one and I have played 2 seasons. Now I play coach mode maybe that is why??????
Old 02-28-2016, 09:25 PM   #238
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by willithome
It is??? I have never seen one. I have played 2 seasons this year and not once have I seen a division standings presentation. Now I do coach mode maybe that's why????
Probably, they show the division standings in season mode and matty v says "here are the standings" ;doesn't really elaborate any further.
Old 02-28-2016, 09:45 PM   #239
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyp2002
Look at a majority of the big AAA games released on home consoles today (first party and third party) The only games that truly run at 60 FPS are last gen remasters.
For the record, I'm satisfied with The Show's frame rate, but I do think the cutscenes could be a little smoother.
Old 02-28-2016, 10:43 PM   #240
Always batting 1.000

mpulse24's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokker
For the record, I'm satisfied with The Show's frame rate, but I do think the cutscenes could be a little smoother.
Oh, I have no issues with The Show's current frame rate either, its never an issue for me and doesn't affect the gameplay one bit. I was just stating that it seems to be a real challenge for big AAA game developers to build a game thats as large as The Show and run it on current gen hardware at a locked 60 FPS. Which is why I was so surprised when Mr.Oldboy pointed out that Phantom Pain achieves that.

and any slow down during a cutscene would never bother me all too much, as long as it doesn't get in the way of me throwing or reading a pitch or fielding a ball.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »