Home

MLB The Show 16 Video - Franchise, Player Morale and Much More

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 16 Video - Franchise, Player Morale and Much More within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 02-21-2016, 03:52 PM   #113
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

OVR: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy
I disagree.

I think it adds a dynamic in the game that is true to real life. Chemistry is a part of the game and not everybody is happy with being a platoon guy or waiting in the minors, not to mention that playing for a winner or a great coach can swing a guy. I just like the fact that it's not just about money in signing a guy as there's more variables at play. It makes franchise and the GM mode much more entertaining.

The key is that it's implemented correctly; I'm hoping that there is a slider (similar to NBA 2K) where we can either amplify or tone down the effects player morale...I'm sure SCEA has thought of that and implemented it.

...again though, just me and my $.02.
What video games miss when incorporating morale is an individual's professionalism to push past their feelings and still play to their ability. You can be cranky about your role on the team or with whatever but it doesn't automatically mean you're going to play like garbage or lose ability. Heck, some guys actually get inspired and play better when they're upset.

There's a right way to implement morale in a balanced way, but until then it needs to come with an "off" switch.
Old 02-21-2016, 03:53 PM   #114
Pro

OVR: 24
Re: MLB The Show 16 Video - Franchise, Player Morale and Much More

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOldboy
The issue is for those who do not want to do the micromanaging of their franchises. I tend to ignore training since I'm there mostly to make a fantasy team and play baseball games in my franchise. If it can be turned off great, if not we'll I think many people might find it tedious to do seemingly arbitrary things like have players of similar national origins on their team. That hurts people who want to make a diverse team with whoever they want. Now you ha e to think "Do I really want that guy from Cuba or the guy from Venezuela instead since I already have 2 Venezuelan players already." Adds a layer of depth that I don't think I need and hope I can disable it or at least time it down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitTilNextYear
I have mixed feelings. On the one hand, I agree that morale and personality for players is a good thing. I like making FA signings a bit more context-dependent, too. But, having their attributes/tools depend on their "morale" reeks of arcade-y-ness. I don't like that aspect. It's just not a realistic approach. Unhappy players can perform just fine and happy players can be terrible. There must be some other way to make consequences/incentives for player morale.
I 100% get what you guys are saying, but I think you are overreacting. We are talking about a 2 point difference in OVR, which is basically nothing.

We ALREADY have instances where player X with 80 OVR performs far better than player Y with 90 OVR. We ALREADY have instances where player A agreeably has better ratings than player B, but gets a lower OVR, due to how OVR is calculated.

I don't think you are going to even notice this, which is more or less true for real life, too.
Old 02-21-2016, 04:00 PM   #115
Pro

OVR: 24

And as someone who's also played real life sports I will jump on the bandwagon with others and say morale affects performance 100%.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-21-2016, 04:07 PM   #116
MVP

MrOldboy's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhead
I 100% get what you guys are saying, but I think you are overreacting. We are talking about a 2 point difference in OVR, which is basically nothing.

We ALREADY have instances where player X with 80 OVR performs far better than player Y with 90 OVR. We ALREADY have instances where player A agreeably has better ratings than player B, but gets a lower OVR, due to how OVR is calculated.

I don't think you are going to even notice this, which is more or less true for real life, too.
It completely depends on which ratings are being affected. Like I said the "mental" ratings like vision or BB/9 I'd be fine with changing, it might make sense in some cases as well. But speed, power, velocity need to remain those players' skills. A couple points up in velocity and that player no longer represents what he is in real life which I know is not how many people on here want to play franchise. A few in speed can do the same as well.

You can argue that a happier player may take better swings and put the ball in play more, well give him a boost in vision. But I don't think any argument makes sense to say that a player gains a little power when being happy. There are ways to affect performance without affecting a players skills. I will say it again...Is Anthony Rizzo playing slightly worse because he is on a team friendly contract? Going from the Felix Hernandez screenshot that is what part of the morale system is doing although very slightly.

We have no idea what ratings the morale is affecting, that is why I think some are concerned. As of now we may be exaggerating the issue, but I don't see that as a reason to discount the concern.

Last edited by MrOldboy; 02-21-2016 at 04:16 PM.
Old 02-21-2016, 04:17 PM   #117
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMacc44
Also Jesse Biddle, the Phillies former 1st round draft pick, was playing great into May of 2014 when he got a concussion from being hit by a piece of ice and going into a depression in which he was unhappy doing anything baseball related. Since then he hasn't kept an era below like 4 or 5.
That's more of an injury than a morale issue. Both concussions and depression are actual, physical maladies which can and should affect performance. He's not sulking because there are no Canadians on his team. It's not a bad morale situation.
Old 02-21-2016, 04:30 PM   #118
Banned

Beatles's Arena

OVR: 0

Some good stuff in there. Excuse me if this has already been answered but can we finally extend our players during the season in Franchise?
Old 02-21-2016, 04:38 PM   #119
MVP

eric7064's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOldboy
It completely depends on which ratings are being affected. Like I said the "mental" ratings like vision or BB/9 I'd be fine with changing, it might make sense in some cases as well. But speed, power, velocity need to remain those players' skills. A couple points up in velocity and that player no longer represents what he is in real life which I know is not how many people on here want to play franchise. A few in speed can do the same as well.

You can argue that a happier player may take better swings and put the ball in play more, well give him a boost in vision. But I don't think any argument makes sense to say that a player gains a little power when being happy. There are ways to affect performance without affecting a players skills. I will say it again...Is Anthony Rizzo playing slightly worse because he is on a team friendly contract? Going from the Felix Hernandez screenshot that is what part of the morale system is doing although very slightly.

We have no idea what ratings the morale is affecting, that is why I think some are concerned. As of now we may be exaggerating the issue, but I don't see that as a reason to discount the concern.
Well as you can see It didn't effect Hernandez's rating nor will it effect Rizzo. But if there were a few things checked off he was unhappy about then yes. Here's another way to look at it. Let's say a guy like Bryant wins MVP, but he's still in Arb contract. And the team magically is horrible. Maybe that concern over the contract didn't matter bc the team was doing good. But now team is bad and hE would lke a big multi year deal.
Old 02-21-2016, 04:38 PM   #120
MVP

Cowboy008's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatles
Some good stuff in there. Excuse me if this has already been answered but can we finally extend our players during the season in Franchise?
Will probably have to wait until the Franchise stream to have that question answered.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »